Fordmods Logo

boosting 5.0l 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: boosting 5.0l
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane v8

QLD, Australia

so i'm looking at doing a low boost application for my 5 litre fairlane. i need a little bit of info though. (and yeah before anyone asks, i did use the search, admittedly probably not as much as i could/should. but i'd rather hear about people's personal experiences)
i'm more comfortable with turbo systems, (currently doing a setup on an rb30 r31 skyline with a t04e, 60mm external gate, 1000cc injectors etc.) and carbi-roots setups but don't really know much about centrifugal superchargers.

so far i've been looking at the old stock of CAPA brackets (which suit the powerdyne superchargers)
but i can't seem to find an actual powerdyne unit. would it be more cost effective to adapt one rather than buy a new bracket?

the other option was doing something like a low mount twin turbo, internally gated set-up (for simplicity) with a front mount. would the exhaust manifolds suiting a foxbody have clearance issues on anything? i've seen that there might be the possibility of oiling issues with low mount too, so im a little concerned about that.

one other thing that is a little concerning is that my car is dual fuel, so would i have to consider something like a gas research throttle body instead of having the thingy (dunno what it's called, this is my first car with an lpg system in it) in the intake piping? also, do valve springs have to be upgraded at all?

i wouldn't mind a secondhand supercharger setup either but they seem thin on the ground (Also my budget is a little thin at the moment but probably in a month or 2 i'll be ready to blow some money) if i can think of anything else off the top of my head right now, i'll add it in.

Post subject: Re: boosting 5.0l
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Nothing from those mustang kits is straight forward on our falcons, every piece will need modifications.

I was considering the low mount twin skyline turbocharger options but in the end I didn't want to worry about oil pump(s) failing and killing the turbo's.

Custom setup is really the only option and then depends if you can do any of the work yourself (or help from a mate) its $$$.

Honestly an off the shelf kit blower kit is going to be your best/easiest solution.

Post subject: Re: boosting 5.0l
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

All honesty, a kit will save alot of headaches, Have been down the road before and bought a blower head unit cheap (Vortech), ended up biting the bullet and getting a bracket and pulley kit from CAPA (around 1800 from memory), and fabricated my own piping and sourcing my own larger injectors, rising rate fuel regulator and walbro fuel pump and tuning through a J3 style chip and larger MAF.

The biggest pain is the bracket and pulley system, they utilise the power steering pulley to get tension onto the blower belt, it really is a tight fit and with the 8 rib upgrade it helps get rid of a few headaches.

If you can fabricate well enough, a turbo system is definitely a setup worth looking into, ebay do turbo manifolds for the 5L mustang (87-93) and with a fabricated crossover, dump its quite a doable exercise with minimal costings compared to the blower kit. However as soon as you have to handover it to someone else to work on it, it will easily overtake blower kit in cost.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]