BTR 4 speed with boost 

Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
so even a toughened btr will be s**t?and i should go for a c10?

it really does depend on how much power you are puting through it though, Remember Heat is the biggest killer of Auto's, More regular servicing, A good Tranny cooler (biggest you can go) will help it live longer.

A c4/c6/c10 are stronger, smoothness isnt comparable, but the strength they have (and can be built up to) is 2nd to none. Unless its a 727 torqueflite.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Are torqueflites that much stronger than a C series box? But having said that I think the gm powerglide is the mother of all auto boxes.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

The torqueflite 727 , especially the ones behind the Wedge 440's, 392 and 426 hemi's were near on bulletproof from factory, if you did a gearbox, it was due to incorrect assembly more often than not.

Compared to a powerglide off the shelf, I'd say their stronger, though beefing up a powerglide would be much stronger than a beefed up 727, maybe just though.

Both great boxes, stil rather the third gear though.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

With forced induction . The vacuum modulated auto's would have to be manualised..
Only the electronic auto's can be full auto...
A G.M T350 is a good option ??
C4 with 2.9 / 3.08 gears 2800 converter would still spool a turbo nice and use it's high mid rpm torque....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Lol mine only lasted 2 weeks with only 140,000 on it. end quote

Yeah i was trying to look after my box no sideways action or anything.

Bloody s**t auto stuffed up on me when i was driving away from a set of lights, first idea somthing was wrong was when i was hand timing a run and shifting at 5500rpm and it sort of went funny like it would hold a gear than flare up then grab it again.

I always looked after her but i guess it couldnt handle the extra grunt

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:42 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I feel sorry for you guys blowing up perfectly good boxes so I will let you into a secret mod.

The BTR 4 speed is actually a very good box and can take alot of power if you do a very cheap mod to it. Otherwise it flairs when turbo power is put thru it and it stuffs it up very quick.

Now when you do a shift kit it tightens up the shift which is good, but because it still uses the S5, S3 and S4 solenoids in the shift, you can only speed the shift up so much.

The next step in speeding the shifts up in the BTR is not to use the S5,S4 or S3 solenoids at all. These solenoids are there primarily to make a nice shifting box for the pussys out there.

With the mod the box shifts hard but not that hard that you cant drive with it. IMO it shifts very good and even better than using the shift kit on the hardest setting.

Now you cant just disconnect the S3 and S4 solenoids as it will put the ECU into limp mode.

What you do is that you cut the wires to the S3 and S4 solenoid at the harness leading into the computer (you need to look up a wiring diagram to work out which wires they are. They are different for EA-ED and EF onwards) and put a dummy load to earth. I use 2*54ohm 5 watt resistors in parellel which would give 27 ohms to ground, so you could use a single 27ohm 5 watt resistor to ground to do the job, one for each wire on the computer side.

I ran my turbo ED falcon with 400RWHP and the box shifted fine at full load.

There is really no reason to change the BTR 4sp with this mod and along with other mods that can be done with this box 500ATW in something like a light EA-ED with some durability is possible IMO.

Now this box can take a high load in 1st, 2nd and 3rd BUT NOT 4th.
So if you want it to live dont load it up in 4th with a turbo.

Try it out and see how you go

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

turbotrana do you have any info for the s5 , im trying to control it with PWM and have the best of both worlds , my box controler is controlling my box and changes and is drivable but whould like toget it to shift smoother at light cruise , cant get the PWM outputs just right eg. 0%-100% , freq??? and when it actually actervates , my controller is working all 7 soleniods and the factory ecu is gone.

any tech on the btr 91le 93le would be great

thanks paul

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

turbotrana... that sounded so much like a "intake mod chip! increase your BHP!!!" thing lol sorry :P

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I dont know how you would control the S5 with the aftermarket controller. Which controller are you using and how easy was it to program? Did you program the S3 and S4 soleniods to work. How sophisticated are the shifts.

For guys using both original ECU to control the trans and an aftermarket one for the engine, what you can do is have a relay connect the S4 and S3 to ground via the resister on one side and the original connection on the other side. This way you can program for normal shifts under normal driving and hard shifts at what ever point you want to program it i.e RPM,PSI

xfpaul wrote:
turbotrana do you have any info for the s5 , im trying to control it with PWM and have the best of both worlds , my box controler is controlling my box and changes and is drivable but whould like toget it to shift smoother at light cruise , cant get the PWM outputs just right eg. 0%-100% , freq??? and when it actually actervates , my controller is working all 7 soleniods and the factory ecu is gone.

any tech on the btr 91le 93le would be great

thanks paul

Turbo 6s rule

Last edited by turbotrana on Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:48 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

No, its not an intake mod chip type mod. When/if you learn a bit more about cars you will understand the importance of this mod to the turbo guys.

efgiar wrote:
turbotrana... that sounded so much like a "intake mod chip! increase your BHP!!!" thing lol sorry :P

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

Screw the S5 in 3/4 of a turn.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

badcooky wrote:

you are talking about the BTR?
err how do you do that? they have no threads, all the solinoids in the valvebody push in and a clamp holds them in place!
hope you are just having a lend

2005 Focus, 17' alloys, slotted rotors allround, second airbox removed. Like to surprise V6 owners

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

20focus05 wrote:
badcooky wrote:

you are talking about the BTR?
err how do you do that? they have no threads, all the solinoids in the valvebody push in and a clamp holds them in place!
hope you are just having a lend

No he's not having a lend. I had to to do this to my car as the auto is on its way out (has an internal oil leak).
on the end of the s5 solinoid there is a allen key slot, turn it for more line pressure, all btr's from AU onwards have this...

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

thats better, NOT the solonoid!!

2005 Focus, 17' alloys, slotted rotors allround, second airbox removed. Like to surprise V6 owners

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:02 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Commodore VZ SV6

QLD, Australia

I had some initial issues with mine in the ute but a full service, all internals adjusted/shimmed to correct clearances, Penrite Synthetic oil then the shop fitted something along the lines of what turborana has mentioned in this thread. It now has variable shift quality adjustment however firm I want, and it is seriously awesome now :) Nuthin bad about the BTR once this little bit of attention has been lavished on it and I would agree with others here who suggest it works really well when subjected to big power gains.

Also the mod that badcooky suggested is the other option if you have the pan off.

Raptor SC, blow your mind ..... not your wallet

Holden VZ SV6 Alloytec - 270rwkw (premium SC kit)

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next