Fordmods Logo

Centrifugal Supercharger thread 

Page 1 of 13 [ 194 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Post subject: Centrifugal Supercharger thread
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

Starting a thread aboot Centrifugal Superchargers.
Leave your brand name at the door and come inside.
I know there is a few of us out there so lets work together.
A thread for guys also who want one but aren't quite there dollar wise someone else might know a cheaper outcome.
We are supposed to be the poor cousin to the Positive Displacement supercharger and the turbo but these things are a hoot.
So easy to fit,fantastic spread of power,no extra lines to plumb and priced very well indeed.
A little bit short off the bottom,better than stock but ya know this when ya buy one.
We could add a poll...

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Last edited by badcooky on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I hate the use of PD when talking about superchargers as half the time it means Powerdyne and the other half it's positive displacement.

Post subject: Centrifugal SC workshop
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Commodore VZ SV6

QLD, Australia

Might add a bit about em generally

Yer well there is probably close to 30 brands worldwide, not many seen here in AU mostly due to cost and no support. Most country's have a brand happening someplace or other.

The mostly share the same boost delivery with the big differences being in construction and compression efficiency.

Most are constructed with a gear transmission lubricated by oil, some with ceramic bearing, some with belt, some with friction drive and some with no transmission at all! Some have electromagnetic clutches but again very costly. There are also electric drive superchargers in the 5-7psi range, full boost from idle but can only run a short time before discharging car battery.

With compressor wheels some run anticlockwise only while other brands are available in both rotations, some impellers are billett, most cast and some follow the design of the super high speed turbos with superback comp wheel. There are brands that also feature ceramic coating for ehanced thermal efficiency of the compressor wheel.

Latest upgrades are things like the Antonov 2 speed blower gearbox that gives high boost early then maintains that pressure by slowing down in relation to engine RPM. This little item is pretty expensive at this point in time, but will outdo a turbocharger as the pressure is high from the word go and then maintained as constant, no lag. It is a compact little package this is easy to fit and no heat drama's.

Most are rebuildable with no great problem but some are pretty much untouchable apart from full factory service, this relates to the friction drive types. In a lot of cases the parts are custom made but things like oil seals etc are available non genuine and are same quality for a fraction of the price if you know what you are doing.

As with anything its the service back up that gives a product its name.

Will add more later

Raptor SC, blow your mind ..... not your wallet

Holden VZ SV6 Alloytec - 270rwkw (premium SC kit)

Post subject: Re: Centrifugal SC workshop
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Raptorsc wrote:
Latest upgrades are things like the Antonov 2 speed blower gearbox that gives high boost early then maintains that pressure by slowing down in relation to engine RPM. This little item is pretty expensive at this point in time,

Sounds like a Powerglide for the SC :lol:
So how expensive is "pretty expensive"? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I looked up the Antonov 2 speed unit, it's very long compared to a PD or Raptor.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:24 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Not sure what you're looking for in this thread badcooky. I'll comment on my centri kit though, will be good to get more communication round these things!

Its an AU111 with the Capa kit. These typically get bad press in here, but its not my experience. Runs 9psi, water injection, motec computer, pacemaker extractors, 3 inch (quiet) exhaust, pod in bumper, copper 1.6 gasket, and power goes to a lsd via a manual box.

Performance is good and strong without being mindblowing. It has been tuned to a safe 251 rwhp on a conservative dyno, which I think is around 186rwkw. It makes some boost before 3000rpm (hard to read guage while accelerating), but really gets going after this point. I think this looks after the drivetrain better. Power is linear and will hit redline hard. Throttle response is better than standard from any rpm. Economy is better than standard if driven gently, particularly on highway. G-tech performance indicates 0-100 in 6.1 seconds, which seems accurate, as I've had it hand timed two-up at around 6.5 seconds. Haven't run a quarter mile.

Overall I'm pleased with this sort of performance. The car struggles for traction in 1st gear launches (2000rpm gets best times!), but will pull strongly in all gears. Reliability has been quite good after initially replacing supercharger bearings after purchasing vehicle 2nd hand. I'd like to investigate intercooling as a next option for some more performance.

Hope this is of help to those looking into this type of SC kit.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Good info Joe, this is the sort of stuff I was looking for 2 years ago when I joined. So far you're the 2nd person I know of who is happy with the CAPA kit, but then you're using a pretty serious aftermarket management system. I've heard of others in other forums whose ECU's just don't work with the J3 chip supplied. Was the car fitted with the Motec when you bought it?

So far this leaves "4.9 EF Futura" as the only person on record satisfied with the CAPA kit as supplied & unaltered...

IIRC a stock XR6 VCT did 0-100 in around 8 flat. Gotta be happy with nearly 2 secs off!

I've picked a spot to run some before & after 0-100 times for my AU1 wagon (auto of course) & will post up when the SC is fitted, run in and AFR's checked.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Apart from their bracketry, why go to CAPA anyway, just source the stuff yourself.  Save yourself a packet, and get a Vortech setup instead of paying CAPA prices.

I've got a stock 5L, with E7's and HO, so restrictive as.
Vortech V2SQ at the moment, running Wolf 3D V4.
Makes 240rwkw at 8PSI.

Nothing like proven oil lubricated reliability.

Still give me a Positive Displacement blower anyday over a Vortech. 

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

This is what i'm talkin' about.
Put my 3 inch on today so the sleeper deal isn't so much any more.
Definitely quicker but the trade off is noise and harshness,but i'll work something out.
Wrap the whole exhaust to the CAT or something and maybe add another resonator.
Goes better though..

BA XL ute.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Apart from their bracketry, why go to CAPA anyway, just source the stuff yourself.  Save yourself a packet, and get a Vortech setup instead of paying CAPA prices.

I've got a stock 5L, with E7's and HO, so restrictive as.
Vortech V2SQ at the moment, running Wolf 3D V4.
Makes 240rwkw at 8PSI.

Nothing like proven oil lubricated reliability.

Still give me a Positive Displacement blower anyday over a Vortech. 

Is it a 5 speed??

Anyways, I did mine the way I wanted to.

I bought a new V-2 s trim (the loud one :twisted: ) from a bloke off fordforums. I did all the piping myself and sourced parts as I went.

I bought the bracket from Capa as well as the pulleys and tensioner. Ended up beingaround 1700 all up, but the amount of time it saved was worth it. With the money Im on at work with overtime, woulda ended up costing me more with me working on my car than working on the job and buying something that fits (bar a bit of panel beating of the front righthand guard).

The car is a XR8 (ef) and still runs the standard HO heads, also has Cobra manifold, walbro pump, 24lb injectors, 75mm throttle body, beefed up ignition and runs on the Capa switch chip eliminator, tuned by BPT.

Made 307 rwhp (228rwkw) on 8psi with a 2.5" exhaust. Since then I have put on a 3" and now gotta take it back to check power, as well as boosting probs (slipping of the belt) and afr's.

Overall I am Happy with it, but will soon have a look into a better breathin motor.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Onya Schnoodster.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Yeah Schnoods, its running a T5.
I have a V1 S-Trim, i'm basically borrowing a mates V2 SQ atm. But will have my noisy S Trim back at some stage.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

"I've heard of others in other forums whose ECU's just don't work with the J3 chip supplied. Was the car fitted with the Motec when you bought it? "

Sly, yep the car was fitted with M800 Motec when I bought it. The previous owner wasn't happy with how the car ran on the capa chip, and money wasn't a significant issue for him. No doubt could be done a lot cheaper though!

I've since made changes to the previous map (eg. water injection starts at 4psi instead of 1psi), with good driveability improvements. Masterson Performance in Bris does the tuning...Paul says there's another 20-30hp available, but prefers to leave it on a nice safe tune. So do I...can't afford to fix too much!

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Yeah Schnoods, its running a T5.
I have a V1 S-Trim, i'm basically borrowing a mates V2 SQ atm. But will have my noisy S Trim back at some stage.

LOL, no you won't, I'm picking those seals up from Sean tonight.
I want an S-Trim now!!!

Schnoods, with the belt slip, you have fun getting enough tension on the tensioner?
Have a look on US Ebay, theres a few nifty little block type things that they've made up to improve belt tension with the CAPA/Vortech style tensioner.
Hard to explain, but when you one it'll make sense.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Wow those billet tensioners are really a nifty idea.

Ill have to make one, I might nick a old G clamp at work and make up a tensioner. :x

Just out of curiosity, would a Gilmer belt drive be a bit of an overkill for 8psi???

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 13  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next