Fordmods Logo

charging up 

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: charging up
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Get an external gate setup, remove spring from the wastegate and get it engineered running no boost.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
What's he going to do, order you pull your ECU apart in the hope of finding a J3?
all he would have to do is ask for the ecu be removed from the car and you can see the j3 sitting in the bottom in the port?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Get an external gate setup, remove spring from the wastegate and get it engineered running no boost.

this is what i thought would work lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
xcabbi wrote:
What's he going to do, order you pull your ECU apart in the hope of finding a J3?
all he would have to do is ask for the ecu be removed from the car and you can see the j3 sitting in the bottom in the port?

Gaffa tape

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

just take it for engineering with the std ecu and no j3, it will still run ok un tuned aslong as its running std injectors and you DONT drive it on boost..

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I was thinking more about the insurance not paying out in the event of an accident because their investigator determines the car is illegal.

I've been wondering if I can get the engineers at the uni where I work to help certify the mechanice side, and liquid gas injection should get the emissions in order.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Best thing about the chip is, if ya crash rip it out, if your smashed crab against the windscreen it may be a bit hard to tho

BF XR6

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 pm 

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
I was thinking more about the insurance not paying out in the event of an accident because their investigator determines the car is illegal.

I've been wondering if I can get the engineers at the uni where I work to help certify the mechanice side, and liquid gas injection should get the emissions in order.

if it passes engineering and you crash, aslong as the insurance knows that the car is engineered for the modifications there is no reason they are going to know wether or not is was engineered with a j3 or not..

the engeneer report usually states what modifications are done and what adr's are changed and what ad'rs are still met..

as with mine it states that "with the current engine and fuel management the adr 37 design rule is continued to be met"..

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the engeneer report usually states what modifications are done and what adr's are changed and what ad'rs are still met..

as with mine it states that "with the current engine and fuel management the adr 37 design rule is continued to be met"..

That's the sort of stuff we need to see posted on the topic Troyman, thanks for that.

My engineers report touches on a few points like that mentioned above. Report for the fitment of a larger engine, from a 1988 Alto. To quote from it:

ADR 27c, ADR 37 - Vehicle Emissions.

The Vehicle is assessed as complying with these ADR's, if applicable, on the basis that the engine is from a later model year vehicle that complies with stricter emission control requirements & has been installed with all engine & emission controls operating and correctly adjusted.

What that means is that the factory supplied & already ADR complied fuel management system, in this case a carby (could be the factory ECU if engine was injected) is found to be still complying and didn't require a test on the basis it's all factory supplied hardware, which was ADR complied when sold new.

IIRC ADR 37 was emissions around 1988, and 27c is what the Suzuki Mighty Boy was originally built to comply with in 1986.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
just take it for engineering with the std ecu and no j3, it will still run ok un tuned aslong as its running std injectors and you DONT drive it on boost..

what would be the point in that it would then just be an expensive xt wouldnt it?

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

this is a very interesting thread
being im hoping to either supercharge my NF or coyote it
so if i use a J3 on my stock ecu and get it tuned etc then get it engineered without a emissions standard being redone i would be ok ? insurance wise and everything ?

i would ask some engineers but i dont know any in NSW

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:33 am 

NSW, Australia

Eb cruiza wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

what would be the point in that it would then just be an expensive xt wouldnt it?

:roll:
the point would be that it will pass possible emission test and engineering with a un modified ecu, then you re fit the tuned j3 and its good to go.. derr!!

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

In relation to those saying don't bother engineering....have fun with kissing any financial aspirations goodbye if you have an accident (let alone one that injures someone).

I love living in Qld (as far as engineering goes).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr6 te cortina

VIC, Australia

had a bit of a brain wave whilst speaking to a panle beater mate of mine.

what does the enginere check exactly?
the strenght of the blower bracket??

if its just got to do with power upgrades then a cai and exhaust are power upgrages, so are haed swaps and cams, shuld they be checked?

also ive put in much better brakes (crossdrilled and slotted with ultimate pads)
and the sussy has been played with (pedders springs, koni adj shocks and whileline adj sway bars)
shuld these also be checked out as beeing modifications and upgrades??

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 pm 

NSW, Australia

tickfordte wrote:
had a bit of a brain wave whilst speaking to a panle beater mate of mine.

what does the enginere check exactly?
the strenght of the blower bracket??

if its just got to do with power upgrades then a cai and exhaust are power upgrages, so are haed swaps and cams, shuld they be checked?

also ive put in much better brakes (crossdrilled and slotted with ultimate pads)
and the sussy has been played with (pedders springs, koni adj shocks and whileline adj sway bars)
shuld these also be checked out as beeing modifications and upgrades??

when my ed was engineered when it was supercharged, he checked the blower was mounted saftely, he checked and required the blowoff valve was plumbed back, the pod filter had to be semi enclosed, the car had to have the factory ecu with all factory sensors, purge caniser ect, otherwise an emission test would have been needed.
he checked ride height and checked that the suspension had proper lowered springs, checked wheel track and noted that it had 18" wheels, measured ride height and required me to raise the car to a legal height, he did a noise test which required it to be 90db or lower at 3200rpm. required me to have a new cat, checked and measured that my bonnet bulge was structurly sound and didnt obstruct the view from the cabin, noted that the car was fitted with an aftermarket steering wheel and was over the minimum size, and did a general stopping test..

so basically the car had to be legal enough to adhere to the adr's for the car plus any modifications were done correctly and didnt effect the safety of the car..

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next