Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

LTD351 wrote:
Yeah I think you could do it for 8K.

The only downside to doing a single setup cheaply is that there aren't many single turbo's goin round that are big enough, I mean there are but not always easy to find and if you do, it is prob off some diesel truck and its got a real puny wastegate or an overly large exhaust housing, whereas two t3's off some nissan 3lt are perfect for a street setup, I think thats why many people like twins they are more readily available and cheap.

The single is better for the reasons you listed..

I would seriously look on that turbomustangs.com site and look in the group buy section, Joe is having a group buy on Master Power turbo's, very cheap, don't know about the quality. BUT very cheap, I think they have a good warranty too. Never heard of anyone killing one. They just don't have BB turbos.

Should ask EBXR8380 what he suggests for you to use in the motor, I believe he would be better qualified to help you on this one.

The problem you will encounter is that once you have more power other parts will begin dying, box, diff etc etc.

Be mindfull of emmisions laws and stuff like that, you may need to test it, I really don't know, I run LPG so no emmisions problems.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

LTD351 wrote:
Yeah I think you could do it for 8K.

The only downside to doing a single setup cheaply is that there aren't many single turbo's goin round that are big enough, I mean there are but not always easy to find and if you do, it is prob off some diesel truck and its got a real puny wastegate or an overly large exhaust housing, whereas two t3's off some nissan 3lt are perfect for a street setup, I think thats why many people like twins they are more readily available and cheap.

The single is better for the reasons you listed..

I would seriously look on that turbomustangs.com site and look in the group buy section, Joe is having a group buy on Master Power turbo's, very cheap, don't know about the quality. BUT very cheap, I think they have a good warranty too. Never heard of anyone killing one. They just don't have BB turbos.

Should ask EBXR8380 what he suggests for you to use in the motor, I believe he would be better qualified to help you on this one.

The problem you will encounter is that once you have more power other parts will begin dying, box, diff etc etc.

Be mindfull of emmisions laws and stuff like that, you may need to test it, I really don't know, I run LPG so no emmisions problems.

So what would be a suitable sized turbo in a single application then?

Ive already thought about the effects on the box, diff, etc, but i wont be thrashing the car around at all until i know the rest of the driveline can handle it, when upgraded down the track..
Its just that i cant afford to do EVERYTHING at once..
So thought id start with the turbo setup on relatively low boost, and build everything around it up to be able to handle higher boost, THEN ill boost it up.

EDIT: By the way that Master Power Turbos group buy ended on the 21st, bummer :?

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

DAMN, pitty about that GB finishing, that was some serious value for money to be had.

I went for a GT42R with the 1.15a/r turbine, it should work well between 2700 to 5700(peak 3500-5500) and be most efficient up in the higher pressure ranges like 18 to 25psi+, this suits me because I can run low boost of about 12-15 psi on the street, wind it up to 18psi @track, and if I run straight propane or water/meth injection crank it up more and fall into the high efficiency area so power production is compounded.

This is all based on what I have read and the information i have recieved from others, I can't say whether or not it will actually do this or not. It may turn out to be too small and need a bigger compressor or smaller exhaust, or whatever, but I wont know until its running.

As I plan to race I wanted something that would be most efficient when working hard so i chose the GT because it works best at the higher pressure ratios and it also has an anti-surge housing on it, so running lower boost I shouldn't experience surging problems. Just thought I would mention this as it kinda helps you work out how to look at turbo sizing.

If you are building a street car or daily driver you would want to aim for something that will be most efficient in the low to mid RPM's and in the lower pressure ranges from 12 to 16psi or thereabouts, so you would maybe need to look at a GT40 or even GT35 or something like that anyway. Think of it as a cam, you go too big on the street and you get a dog, too small and it peaks out too soon, same goes for a turbo, kinda.

I would ring GCG and tell them you want to buy a turbo from them, ask for their suggestions and tell them exactly what you want, get as much info from them about the specifics of the turbo they suggest, at least then you will be armed with a professionals reccomendation as opposed to mine or others ideas. You are then one step further into the search.

Ring them they will ask you for certain info and go from there.

See what they say, if you do a search on Turbomustangs.com you will find many answers, I have spent countless hours on that site, its a gold mine. Those lads have built every possible different setup.

So basically you have to really sit down and work out what you want from it.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hope you guys follow through with links I post as some questions sounds like some don't or miss them..
Here read through all these....Remember though 500 h.p for a 5.0 ltr and 650 for 5.8 ltr...Block so don't go s**t on turbo choice!!!.... A turbo'd 5.0 with 450 h.p will thrash a 5.0 n/a with same power...Or atleast be 1000 times more driveable...
Just did a search.....READ them !!! Good info...You know your goals,$$ etc...

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/sea ... descending

Joe and turbo's here...
www.boostedsystems.com
These prices take some beating...
http://www.boostedsystems.com/index.php?cPath=10_21

Displaying 1 to 7 (of 7 products) Result Pages: 1

Master Power 60-1 w/ P-trim turbine wheel
$489.95

Master Power 62-1 w/ O-trim turbine wheel
$599.95

Master Power 62-1 w/ P-trim turbine wheel
$529.95

Master Power GT45
$799.95

Master Power T3/T4 hybrid with .48a/r turbine housing
$499.95

Master Power T3/T4 hybrid with .63a/r turbine housing
$519.95

Master Power T70 w/ P-trim turbine wheel
$569.00

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

LTD351 wrote:
That GT42 you found on ebay is prob US dollars, but I am getting one from US and it should cost about 2500$ AU give or take depending upon exchange at the time and duty/taxes etc etc. That same turbo is 3700$ new from GCG.

That Gerrett GT40 advertised on ebay is in aussie $$$, just sent him an email out of curiosity. I think because its not a GT40R its heaps less than the GT40? Doesnt sound too bad tho..

Anyways, besides the point, is that turbo a bargain or what? And if so, is it suitable if i run relatively low boost to protect block/driveline? Because ive now read up on a few 5.0L's that have run those specific turbos.

If that above mentioned turbo isnt suitable, then ill sit back and wait until i stumble across a GT40.

Out of the master power turbos though, which one would be most suitable for my application? Cos there heaps cheap compared to the rest, but maybe thats for a reason? ..And i dont see many people using them? :?

Also, i want the turbo that i finally decide upon to come onto full boost by no later than 3000rpm.

EDIT: By the way, are there any major differences between internal/external wastgate turbos? Like should i be looking for one and not the other? etc.

I just recieved a call from the guys who will be performing most of the work on the xr8 turbo setup, they recommended a twin gt28 setup with internal wastegates to save space. They suggested the twin because of neatness & no need to join both exhaust manifolds up to one side of the car.. Does this sound alright?

The cheapest quote he got was $1100 for each of the GT28's and between 650 - 700 for a good-quality intercooler. I can see where he's coming from with the neatness and the smaller internally wastegated turbos. But what are your opinions?

Oh by the way, these turbos are rated at 320hp each, more than enough.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

I think you have it sorted, the twins will not need a crossover pipe and you will get away with internal wastegates, so its possibly better than a big single, but more cost if you decide to upgrade later, I think you know whats involved now so just go with whatever you think best suits your needs and budget and what will actually fit into your engine bay, i know fitting a big single could possibly be harder than fitting two small ones?

That ebay turbo, he said its worth 4K right for a GT42R but its only a GT42 that he is selling so that means it has wet floating bearings like he said, when the 4k ones have dual ball bearing cartridges not just wet floating bearings, its cheaper than buying in a shop but not a bargain and not very well suited to a mild 5lt, heck it has a 5" exhaust flange.
He is trying to trick people into thinking its a BB turbo when its bushed(wet floating) and only worth about 2000-2200$ or around that, or 950$ US. Plus the 5" v-band fitting for the exhaust is useless you can't get em easy and 5" is just stupid size its too big.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Na single is easier.. On latter models anyway...There's NO room...
You still need a crossover pipe for cold side [with twins], unless you have upright intercooler where lower tank can have two inlets and one at top to inlet... as plenum...
Floating type bearings are o/k just don't pay double ball bearing prices...
Again depends on budget and what you want...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

sounds like the space you have will determine what you use.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2