Fordmods Logo

cost of turbo 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: cost of turbo
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

i was just doing a search on turbo setups to see how much they cost for a friend but of course there are no posts on it now. SO. what is ur average turbo setup and how much do they cost roughly? im sure this will be usefull for future reference. cheaper than supercharging? im looking for fitted prices and prices of twin turbo.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Depends on how big u want the turbo to be and whether u want a brand new one or used.....then theres the brand.....whether it will be a standard bearing or ball bearing based.....what sort of manifolds will need to be created to suit your setup.

But all n all u can get a normal setup for $4ooo ish up for twin turbo mmmm again same as above and remember the turbos need to be identical....so probably $6500 for a low boost twin setup

My bit any way

Kev

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:58 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: R33 GTS-T

VIC, Australia

Think of a number, double it, and then add 25% for good measure :P

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF II Futura

NSW, Australia

i would figure that if you did most of the work eg making manifolds and whatever and shopped around you may get out of it for $4000 but that probably wouldnt include decent fuel management. that said if you got some really good deals you may be able to do it easily for 4 but i wouldnt count on it

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Here's what you need...

custom exhuast manifold $800
turbo, many choices here $1200 and up
Intercooler 600 300 75 $400 and up
Intercooler piping,hoses
clamps $500 and up
Injectors , 450cc plus $600
Fuel pump, bosch hi vol $300
Oil lines for turbo $250
ECU, wolf, micro, autron' $1200 and up
Exhaust dump pipe(s) $300
Labour?? $...

Thats a start for a well set up turbo system, so add in labour costs and tuning, then start thinking about wether the motor will cope

Post subject: Wanting to Turbo an EF II
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EF II

NSW, Australia

I am also interested in modifying my Falcon EF II also, however my biggest hurdle is the fact that it is an Auto...

Would any one have any ideas as to whether Turbo Charging the Auto Falcon be worthwhile, or upgrading to a C4 gearbox with quick shift do just fine. The thing is that I want to keep her since I know its service history and all, I was the second owner of the vehicle and am worried about finding a manual one in good condition....

What is your thoughts on this???? Upgrade auto transmission or trade in for a manual EF-EL????

:?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF II Futura

NSW, Australia

the auto transmission will do fine strength wise unless you are really going to go crazy with the setup. just put a shift kit on it and maybe even add the ba tiptronic shifting gear to it (it can be done)

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Yeah the auto gearbox is strong enough but if you wanna go heaps of perfomance then either have it strengthed or run a shift kit on it or do a manual conversion on yours which go for round $1250

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:40 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

If you are paying to get it all fitted allow at least $8,000 for a basic set-up around 175rwkw.

You need to allow $13,000 for something larger including gearbox and clutch.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

i know all the setups you guys have mentioned are around $4000 but they are for pretty good set ups...

what is the matter with this setup:

Exhaust manifold made from local shop: $600

Rx4 turbo or equivilent (bush one is fine because big 4l can easily spool it up): $500

fuel pressure regulator: $200

oil lines from pirtek or somewhere: $100

some cheap piping: $200

dump pipe and misc: $200

run it on 5psi and get a nice increase in power for around $1800 or less...

i could scrounge around and get piping and oil lines etc for cheaper if i wanted.

all im saying is: 4g is alot of money and i reckon a cheap low boost system could be made and be very reliable...

just my 2c and can somebody please tell me theirs cause im going to try this and want to know if its gonna work...

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If your ready to part with 2 grand for a cheap dodgy setup that will maybe push 150k@w, you would be better off keeping it NA and and spending 2grand on the usual stuff, that way you would have a reliable 150kw not a motor on the verge of detonation 99% of the time.

Fact is that turbo's are serious stuff that can easilly destroy a motor if you dont do it right... and doing it right costs alot

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

CHEF wrote:
If your ready to part with 2 grand for a cheap dodgy setup that will maybe push 150k@w, you would be better off keeping it NA and and spending 2grand on the usual stuff, that way you would have a reliable 150kw not a motor on the verge of detonation 99% of the time.

Fact is that turbo's are serious stuff that can easilly destroy a motor if you dont do it right... and doing it right costs alot

Just because it is cheap doesnt mean it is dodgy. why would it be on the verge of detonation 99% of the time? 5psi isnt much... just because i dont want huge power doesnt mean im going to do it dodgy.

small power increase = no intercooler ?(saving), standard computer retained (saving), average turbo (saving)... non of this is dodgy but just gonna acheive massive power from it. a low 14 second car is definately fast enough for me.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:58 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Yes if you know what you are doing cheap doesn't mean dodgy, BUT how often have you had anything come in at or under budget from figures you estimated??

A ser 4 RX7 is about the smallest you would want to run (ser 5 is better) and I have seen them for as low as $200 but I have never seen one that did not have something wrong with it. I reckon a VG30DET turbo would be more reliable due to being slightly younger.

Also whats your timing cure like under boost?? Your theory is sound provided you know the std ford ecu timing curve is not very advanced from the factory.

I have actually budgeted $3000 for my turbo build up. Its taking a little time because I am always looking out for bargins to keep my costs down. For that price I am geting programmable ecu, intercooler, manifold, injectors, fuel pump, 3" exhaust, turbo and external wastegate. I am aiming for a reliable daily 250rwhp. I reckon I will be very close although I am doing 95% of all the fabrication, ecu install and tuning. I am about 1/2 way there.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

www.turbomustangs.com

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
www.turbomustangs.com

Thats an excellent site! But im jealous of the room they have in front of their 8's! Stupid americans :P

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next