DIY turbo with no tune 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: DIY turbo with no tune
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: falcon el

QLD, Australia

Hey guys

Ive just boosted my ford el and still have to tune it. What would happen if i drove it around for a while till i can afford to get it tuned. Ive been driving it around now for 2 weeks just wondering if its damaging my engine or anything.

Post subject: Re: DIY turbo with no tune
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

i drove around for over a month and no dramas... just try to stay out of boost as much as possible. or you can disconnect the intake pipe so your not making any boost..

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

imtroidz wrote:
Hey guys

Ive just boosted my ford el and still have to tune it. What would happen if i drove it around for a while till i can afford to get it tuned. Ive been driving it around now for 2 weeks just wondering if its damaging my engine or anything.

if your using the factory ECU, set your plug gap to 0.8mm (hacksaw blade thickness) and set your timing to 8deg BTDC.. then it should be fine

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

imtroidz wrote:
Hey guys

if your using the factory ECU, set your plug gap to 0.8mm (hacksaw blade thickness) and set your timing to 8deg BTDC.. then it should be fine

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Wish my ef was that easy... just set timing to 8 deg btdc.. Darn efs

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Wish my ef was that easy... just set timing to 8 deg btdc.. Darn efs... what do people think of scts eliminator

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

104ord wrote:
or you can disconnect the intake pipe so your not making any boost..

Dont do this.

The turbo will spin too fast and kill itself. There has to be a restriction in front of it to stop it overspeeding.

A guy on another forum did this and killed 2 turbos. Another reason not to twin turbo a falcon. :P

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Calling every one with a turbo car disconnect ur intake pipe I want to change the atmospheric pressure of the world...hahahah

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
104ord wrote:
or you can disconnect the intake pipe so your not making any boost..

Dont do this.

The turbo will spin too fast and kill itself. There has to be a restriction in front of it to stop it overspeeding.

A guy on another forum did this and killed 2 turbos. Another reason not to twin turbo a falcon. :P

True. Safest bet whilst waiting for a tune is to connect a boost gauge, get some helium filled shoes and drive like mildred or dorothy, making sure that the dial on the gauge does not swing north of zero. Drive like that and the motor will outlast one my ex fleet motors.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xf

New Zealand

if the plug gap gets set to .8mm and timing to 8 deg btdc is it sweet to drive on boost? what exactly does the tuner tune when you take it into the shop? not the factory computer i would assume these ar fairly unmodifiable? getting all ready 4 a turbo conversion myself, seems pretty straightforward just sorting out these sorts of niggly things.

NMASIS - '89 XF. ED transplant engine, T5 with billet shortshifter, H/D clutch, adj fuel press reg, pod filter, 2.5'' exhaust, LSD, linelocker.
wishlist - DSR 480 turbo, big fat alloy radiator and a nine inch. oh and money. ha.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SkidMcMarks wrote:
if the plug gap gets set to .8mm and timing to 8 deg btdc is it sweet to drive on boost? what exactly does the tuner tune when you take it into the shop? not the factory computer i would assume these ar fairly unmodifiable? getting all ready 4 a turbo conversion myself, seems pretty straightforward just sorting out these sorts of niggly things.

air/fuel mixture is a big,,, must have correct

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

104ord wrote:
SkidMcMarks wrote:

air/fuel mixture is a big,,, must have correct

Unless your giving it a real hard time.. With forced motors it's the ignition timing that
blows most things up.. 80% of detonation is "ignition timing".. AFR has more to with making power to a point..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

To run boost on a stock ecu you will need to get and fit all this:

a rising rate fuel reg (10:1 is good)

magna blue top injectors from the 4 cly magna.

get some spark plugs around two heat ranges colder than standard ( i used ngk bpr7es) and set gap between 8-8.8

Set base timing to 8 deg

Get yourself a air fuel ratio gauge and a boost gauge.

a boost controller (carefully set it to 8-10psi by road testing and building up the throttle applications bit by bit)

If the engine cuts under hard acceleration its because the map sensor is seeing close to its atmospheric pressure limits (14psi, but in real life about about 12psi),
you would probably be getting a bit of boost spike so turn the boost controller down or setup a one way bleed off valve between the map and the inlet so the map See's no boost but make sure the vacuum can bleed off also.

Do this and your away. This will easily get you over 190rwkw safely.

Im running allot more mods than that now and on 12-14psi on the stock ecu, and although i would be getting allot more power on an aftermarket ecu, i just had to prove wrong all the "know all's" that go off hear say rather than experience.

You can run 8-10psi all day on the stock ecu, just listen for pinging and make sure your fuel ratio is good. But i have never got detonation once, and my engine is still nice and healthy.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

thats stopping this "pinging" when they are on boost is it? Jason from TI Performance (the J3 chip guy) has the ability to do something to the timing to stop this he was telling me...

Or have I completely missed the point here?

Just a question... A MAP sensor works on vacuum, what happens when you put pressure in the intake manifold (turbo or supercharged application)? Also the two hoses off the top of the rocker cover, do these (and any others?) need to be vented before the turbo? ie to avoid pressurising rocker cover?

Thanks,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
thats stopping this "pinging" when they are on boost is it? Jason from TI Performance (the J3 chip guy) has the ability to do something to the timing to stop this he was telling me...

Or have I completely missed the point here?

Just a question... A MAP sensor works on vacuum, what happens when you put pressure in the intake manifold (turbo or supercharged application)? Also the two hoses off the top of the rocker cover, do these (and any others?) need to be vented before the turbo? ie to avoid pressurising rocker cover?

Thanks,
Tim

Run the pcv and the rear rocker cover hose to a catch can or to the pipe between the turbo and the air cleaner.

The map sensor is capable of running to the maximum possible atmospheric pressure which is 14 psi, but i found that it don't like anything over 11.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next