Fordmods Logo

EF Turbo Conversion 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: EF Turbo Conversion
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 97

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Location: qld
QLD, Australia

hey guys im halfway through my turbo conversion and need to ask a few things... has anyone put an ed manifold onto an ef/el block without changing the ac compressor. i know you need to change the belt an tensioner but as far as i can tell there isnt much room for the compressor to move ad its stoppping me from mounting the ed manifold. if i remover the spacers inbetween the block and compressor is that where its sposed to sit when i use the XH belt an tensioner?

Image

since this pic has been taken ive removed the manifold and swapped my heater pipe and hoses.. so all need is the belt to work properly and i can put the normal exhaust back on an take it to work and put some piping on.[/img]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EF Turbo Conversion
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:35 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 236

Joined: 2nd Jun 2005

Location: melbourn
VIC, Australia

ef_frmnt wrote:
hey guys im halfway through my turbo conversion and need to ask a few things... has anyone put an ed manifold onto an ef/el block without changing the ac compressor. i know you need to change the belt an tensioner but as far as i can tell there isnt much room for the compressor to move ad its stoppping me from mounting the ed manifold. if i remover the spacers inbetween the block and compressor is that where its sposed to sit when i use the XH belt an tensioner?

Image

since this pic has been taken ive removed the manifold and swapped my heater pipe and hoses.. so all need is the belt to work properly and i can put the normal exhaust back on an take it to work and put some piping on.[/img]



LOL, just get the nizpro plenum, i have done it and Lost: Aircon, its a big mess and few things need changing...... have fun........LOL

 

_________________

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Will you then definately need an aftermarket ECU as the ignition curve would be different as you don't have the different runner lengths switching?

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:46 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 97

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Location: qld
QLD, Australia

im not goin to lose aircon.. its an everyday driver and in qld you need aircon.and as for the ignition curve i dnt know exactly.. i dont think it advances by way of the vacuum switch so ill see how it goes with the slightly bigger injectors pump and rising rate reg.

anyone have any pics of an ED aircon setup?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:04 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 236

Joined: 2nd Jun 2005

Location: melbourn
VIC, Australia

ef_frmnt wrote:
im not goin to lose aircon.. its an everyday driver and in qld you need aircon.and as for the ignition curve i dnt know exactly.. i dont think it advances by way of the vacuum switch so ill see how it goes with the slightly bigger injectors pump and rising rate reg.

anyone have any pics of an ED aircon setup?


WELL i used my car like that for a while and now its getting the xtc ems installed, but yeh no need for aftermanrket ecu to get car going.....the butterflys work on vaccume... as for no aircon its winter now and in summer im F$%kd

 

_________________

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:07 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 236

Joined: 2nd Jun 2005

Location: melbourn
VIC, Australia

ef_frmnt wrote:
im not goin to lose aircon.. its an everyday driver and in qld you need aircon.and as for the ignition curve i dnt know exactly.. i dont think it advances by way of the vacuum switch so ill see how it goes with the slightly bigger injectors pump and rising rate reg.

anyone have any pics of an ED aircon setup?


or u can use the ed aiecon but you will need to change the harmonic ballencer for a ed one and the belts ect....... and that should work then....

 

_________________

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:38 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 97

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Location: qld
QLD, Australia

what setup do the XH utes use? i was told and im pretty sure that the ed an ef compressors are the same.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 236

Joined: 2nd Jun 2005

Location: melbourn
VIC, Australia

ef_frmnt wrote:
what setup do the XH utes use? i was told and im pretty sure that the ed an ef compressors are the same.


just go wreckers and have a look....just get the nizpro plenum....most people use them and make good power or just remove the butterfly in the bbm like the ba xr6t, with the ed manifold u have to change the heater waterlines and the pipe that comes from the waterpump to the passenger side, the one thats just sits under the exhaust maniofld needs change and well... and then comes the issue of the aircon compressor.....

 

_________________

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:10 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Location: geelong
VIC, Australia

If you have changed all of you heater hoses and pipes to fit the manifold and throttle body all you need to do is get an ea/ed air con compressor braket which mounts the compressor lower to clear the throttle body. The holes are there on your block to mount the bracket lower.

Use the spacers that were on your motor and some washers to space it out a little bit more to clear the tensioner. You also need a longer bolt for the top hole of the bracket. Use an xr8 belt which gives you more length and you will be in business.

It works out cheaper than getting a xh tensioner.

Hope this helps a little.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EF Turbo Conversion
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:47 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 236

Joined: 2nd Jun 2005

Location: melbourn
VIC, Australia

Image

this car drivable? everything connected?
hows ur maniolf? any trouble with it?

 

_________________

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Location: geelong
VIC, Australia

mattymc wrote:
If you have changed all of you heater hoses and pipes to fit the manifold and throttle body all you need to do is get an ea/ed air con compressor braket which mounts the compressor lower to clear the throttle body. The holes are there on your block to mount the bracket lower.

Use the spacers that were on your motor and some washers to space it out a little bit more to clear the tensioner. You also need a longer bolt for the top hole of the bracket. Use an xr8 belt which gives you more length and you will be in business.

It works out cheaper than getting a xh tensioner.

Hope this helps a little.


Oh and I should clarify that I did this in my xf with an ef motor so there may be clearance issues with the air con lines in an ef engine bay. Ill have to have a look at my folks ef and see what sort of room there is to play with.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 197

Joined: 24th Nov 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: vs cluby,elxr6t

Location: Frankganistan
VIC, Australia

arent you running an aftermarket computer?
What boost are you going to run?
Are you going to use a hob switch setup with a 7th injector?

 

_________________

wish i had bigger wheels.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:03 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 97

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Location: qld
QLD, Australia

hey matty i got one of those brackets today... so you reckon i can fit the spacers in there as well and just use an XR8 belt instead of getting an XH tensioner? can you get me photos of your setup so i can check it out? seems like a much easier option to me.

was thinkin about the hobbs switch for another injector.. ill see how the A/F runs with the bigger injectors and malpassi first. this first build will not have an aftermarket computer.. not until ive finished building my AU motor.. i have crank girdle and a big thick f**k off copper head gasket to use. goin to o-ring the block prep the rods get some ACL forged pistons an go nuts. C4 will be behind that setup. whether its in this car or another i dont know yet.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:09 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Location: geelong
VIC, Australia

ef_frmnt wrote:
hey matty i got one of those brackets today... so you reckon i can fit the spacers in there as well and just use an XR8 belt instead of getting an XH tensioner? can you get me photos of your setup so i can check it out? seems like a much easier option to me.

was thinkin about the hobbs switch for another injector.. ill see how the A/F runs with the bigger injectors and malpassi first. this first build will not have an aftermarket computer.. not until ive finished building my AU motor.. i have crank girdle and a big thick f**k off copper head gasket to use. goin to o-ring the block prep the rods get some ACL forged pistons an go nuts. C4 will be behind that setup. whether its in this car or another i dont know yet.


Ill try and get you some photos over the weekend but I dont know how much of it your going to see as my engine bay is really cramped. If I cant figure out how to post pics pm me your email and ill send them there.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:57 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Posts: 205

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Location: geelong
VIC, Australia

Check my user gallery for the pics of the air con bracket with spacers. I looked at it and it looks like I didnt end up using any washers in the end to space it out more. Also it was the top 2 bolts that needed to be longer.

Then its just a matter of if your air con lines will fit in the engine bay. At least this will get you on the go for the weekend.

How are things coming along?.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names