Fordmods Logo

EF XR6T advice 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EF XR6T advice
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 5

Joined: 2nd Feb 2017

Ride: EF XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

I've had an EF II XR6 sitting in the garage for many years now collecting dust. The original motor has had it and I've been thinking about upgrading the engine and the AU seems like the most reasonable choice.

I've been in touch with Bullet Performance Racing and they are interested in dropping in a brand new AU Series III motor and taking the complete turbo setup from a BA XR6T. They're confident they can get the turbo setup, intercooler, exhaust manifold and possibly the transmission to run nicely on the AU motor. For the ECU and looms they're going to mod (or base it off) the BA because it'll run the setup a lot better than a E-series or AU computer would.

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted a hybrid setup like this?
Is it possible to use the BA transmission?
What's the best brake upgrade for the EF? (I've heard the EL GT brake package is a decent improvement)

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EF XR6T advice
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 301

Joined: 24th Jun 2014

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Location: Jamestown
SA, Australia

zane_ef wrote:
Hi guys,

I've had an EF II XR6 sitting in the garage for many years now collecting dust. The original motor has had it and I've been thinking about upgrading the engine and the AU seems like the most reasonable choice.

I've been in touch with Bullet Performance Racing and they are interested in dropping in a brand new AU Series III motor and taking the complete turbo setup from a BA XR6T. They're confident they can get the turbo setup, intercooler, exhaust manifold and possibly the transmission to run nicely on the AU motor. For the ECU and looms they're going to mod (or base it off) the BA because it'll run the setup a lot better than a E-series or AU computer would.

I'm wondering if anyone has attempted a hybrid setup like this?
Is it possible to use the BA transmission?
What's the best brake upgrade for the EF? (I've heard the EL GT brake package is a decent improvement)

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!



Why are you going the AU engine? any reason in particular?

I'd go with the BA engine, (that would require knotching the K frame for a drop in fit IIRC) Au engine you could get away with modding the sump to fit.

Fitting the turbo manifold off the BA to a AU engine isnt going to work as the ports are oval in the BA and Round in the AU engine. and quiet possibly the studs also wont line up.


BA trans will bolt up to the AU engine no problems, only problem i see (you have got around by using the BA ecu and looms) is the BA trans was wired different to the AU one.

 

_________________

Current Ride
BA XR6 Turbo, P3 Paint, BP Trim, Fully Stock Mods to Come!
1996 EF Falcon furura, White.
BA XR6 , P3 Paint, BG Trim, !
1995 EF XR6 The newest member of my ford family!

BLUE BLOOD
Previous Rides
1997 EL Falcon
1980 Ford Escort

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EF XR6T advice
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 5

Joined: 2nd Feb 2017

Ride: EF XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Quote:
Why are you going the AU engine? any reason in particular?

The main reason for this is that if there are any unforeseen issues with the engine during the process, the AU engine is far less of a risk financially. If the BA had any faults, it would be very costly to replace with a second engine as there are never any guarantees with second hand engines.

Quote:
I'd go with the BA engine, (that would require knotching the K frame for a drop in fit IIRC) Au engine you could get away with modding the sump to fit.

Would modding the K frame make it harder/impossible to get an engineering certificate? This car will need to pass engineering, so that's another factor that lead to the choice of using the AU engine, as like you said, only the sump needs to be modified for it to fit.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EF XR6T advice
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 301

Joined: 24th Jun 2014

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Location: Jamestown
SA, Australia

zane_ef wrote:
Quote:
Why are you going the AU engine? any reason in particular?

The main reason for this is that if there are any unforeseen issues with the engine during the process, the AU engine is far less of a risk financially. If the BA had any faults, it would be very costly to replace with a second engine as there are never any guarantees with second hand engines.

Quote:
I'd go with the BA engine, (that would require knotching the K frame for a drop in fit IIRC) Au engine you could get away with modding the sump to fit.

Would modding the K frame make it harder/impossible to get an engineering certificate? This car will need to pass engineering, so that's another factor that lead to the choice of using the AU engine, as like you said, only the sump needs to be modified for it to fit.



Fair enough on the AU engine cost side of things.

With modding the K frame, its not impossible to get a certificate you would have to speak to the relative governing bodies to do with that in your state, and what and how they require it to be done.

Plenty of BA engine conversions have been done into E series and have met engineering. Pretty sure theres quiet a few threads in here on it being done.

 

_________________

Current Ride
BA XR6 Turbo, P3 Paint, BP Trim, Fully Stock Mods to Come!
1996 EF Falcon furura, White.
BA XR6 , P3 Paint, BG Trim, !
1995 EF XR6 The newest member of my ford family!

BLUE BLOOD
Previous Rides
1997 EL Falcon
1980 Ford Escort

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names