Fordmods Logo

engine rebuild 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: engine rebuild
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i have a 71 capri 3000gt and im going to rebuild the engine. my goal is to build a twin turbo carb v6.
the turbos and driveline fuel pump have been taken car of.
i was looking to find out what i would need to address to allow
the engine to take 6-8 psi safely.

thanks mr xr8

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

block: hot tanked, crack tested, honed, bored a few thou over to freshen the bores up, get rid of any waves/ripples/deformities in the block, linished crank, completely balanced.

pistons: low comp, some acl pistons maybe? forged wouldnt be need for 6-8 psi i wouldnt think

maybe shot peen the rods, get the heads ported/polished, turbo cam, new valve springs, port the intake manifold a bit, or build a plenum for it.

just try and keep your comp ratio down, then a good tune to keep it runnin for ever

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

any idea on carb set up? blow through? edlebrock 650cfm double pumper?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:09 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I reality I would bin the V6 and stick in a 289 or 302 Windsor. The weight is virtually identical and performance parts are easier and most likely cheaper to get.

I rode in a V6 capri which had a $3500 engine rebuild by a well know builder about 7 years ago. The thing was pathetic, my 265 Charger would have pantsed it.

More cubes will naturally make more power, boost earlier, and be more realible for the same power.

If you are blowing through a carby I recon a 600dp for the V6 would be max and 650dp for a 302. These would both work slightly better with a larger than std cam. Double pumpers are calibrated for low idle vacuum.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:11 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Also Edlebrock don't make a 650dp, Holley does. The Holley 4150 series carbys are good for any performance application because they are so easy to rebuild and modify.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Go for EFI and a decent sized intercooler.

Bert, you drive a charger... respect :D , what model?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i want to try to keep the carb just to be a bit diffrent.
as for the intercooler i will prob use pwr water to air intercooler. not sure on the size but i think the 300hp unit will be more then enough. there is no real room to fit in a air to air intercooler in the front end due to not having a lower intake dam.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:00 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I used to have a VJ charger about 4 years ago, it was my first car. I went through a phase of Valiants. I still have dreams about the good times in that car.

I still have that motor sitting under a bench at a mates place. It last did some time in my mates VH commodore wagon.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

god those VH E49's went. They would easily chew up the PHASEIII HO's and the Monaros on acceleration, i have heard of E49's with a decent set of tyres and a little bit of tuning running 13's. Talk about Tourque :) Love the vals

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Post subject: engine rebuild
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:53 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

HI

I dont mean to steel the thread but when i hear about the old vals it brings back some excellent memories.
i had many valiants over the last 10 years.
the fastest was my chrysler centura it had a stage 3 265 CI engine with tripple delorto carbs. to cut a long story short. it was put on a dino and ran 190 rwkw . and it ran a 13.1 1/4 on street tyres. it would blow away those wankers in there ss/ clubsport comodores all day long.. ahh sweet memories.
8-) 8-)

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The V6 had a few issues ..One of them was bad gudgeon pins the other was bad oil pump drives..But I guess 35 years of service it would be sorted by now...Are you aware that these engines have there combustion chambers is piston like the 1600 X flow Kent engines?? You'd need some custom pistons to lower compression..Though with low boost [under 8Lb] would be o/k...A GT3540 would be nice on one of these engines..Trouble is h.p parts in this part of the world are hard to find!!!
Though bolting a turbo to one of these would certainly change things..I'd still look out for efi conversion as all is required is some alloy bosses welded onto inlet runners, a throttle body on a 9* bend and cheap ecu like Stinger etc...If 90% of this work was done by yourself it'll be close to cost setting up blo through carb...Pluss you'll have control over timing etc...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 dont you think a 3540 is a bit big for a 3l engine.
i was think of running 2 t25 off a skylne gtr due to them being oil and water cooled and having internal wastegates.
i have been looking into injecting the engine but it is hard to find someone willing to look at it. what size injectors due you think i need to run, then i can just wack in a bosch 044. also wont i have to run a fuel pressure reg. and o2 sensors.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mr_xr8 wrote:
EBXR8380 dont you think a 3540 is a bit big for a 3l engine.
i was think of running 2 t25 off a skylne gtr due to them being oil and water cooled and having internal wastegates.
i have been looking into injecting the engine but it is hard to find someone willing to look at it. what size injectors due you think i need to run, then i can just wack in a bosch 044. also wont i have to run a fuel pressure reg. and o2 sensors.

Use the .63 for quick spool... Given that its a 3 litre engine..
http://www.gcg.com.au/Catalogue_Menus/G ... gt3540.htm
Going single is MUCH less hassle believe me..The right sized single can still do the goods.. A Holden V8 Ute @ Eastern creek drags run 7.2 @ 190 + mph...On single turbo...
Yes or GT30/40 should retail for $1600....
One of these would be o/k also
http://www.gcg.com.au/Catalogue_Menus/G ... t3071r.htm

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:47 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

for lowerng the compresion ive been looking into what the stock compresion is on the fpv site it says its 8.9:1. i also chech the f6's compersion ratio which was 8.8:1 and it runs stock boost of about 9psi. what do you think about the compresion ratio should i lower it futher or leave it at stock ratio?

thanks mr xr8

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yep 8.9 I'd say o/k up to 12 Lb easy..
With good tune more..Colder spark plugs also..
Here is some info..Make sure your radiator is in top nick or fit a bigger one..
http://www.geocities.com/zephyr_mark4/essex.html

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next