Engineering 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Engineering
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ford au3

Power: 127 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey guys long time reader first time poster a quick question im going to be building a turbo engine for my au3 when i drop it all in do i need to get it engineered? :mrgreen:

2001 au3 ford falcon
170.8rwhp

Post subject: Re: Engineering
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford ba

NSW, Australia

yes you will need to get it enginered once a turbo is put on the compacity as far as the rta is concerned is increased by min 30% for power out put also you are affecting emissions might possibly need to have emissions test carried out depends on the engineer

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

of course you gotta get it engineered, that common sense

99.9% of people try their luck and keep their car looking fairly stock and dont give the cops a reason to be pulled over and get away with it......

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

until you stack it and either;

A) The insurance company f**k you!!

or

B) the cops f**k you!!

or

C) they both f**k you!!

Lock in D thanks Eddie. None of the above!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The car must comply with the relevent standards at the time of manufation of said car. Emissions, structural integrity, saftey blah blah blah. A google search will show lots o documents about ADR specifications and in this case the EPA standards for emissions.

ADR for earlier cars and EURO standards state how much nasty stuff your car can spew out. As a turbo will fluff with this and the holes you will probally have to cut to fit the intercooler could affect the structure of the car. You must prove that the car adhears to all applicable standards. This involves an engineers certificate. It also requires emission tests done to their (EPA) standard.

Any modifcation that causes the car to potentailly be non-compliant with ADR/EURO ect standards needs to be proven that it dosen't cause the car to be non-compliant. Without this proof the car is unroadworthy and you are open to a large butt-fluffing if anything happens.

In NSW the RTA does emission testing for free.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/environment/v ... sions.html

It is also lab standard testing, so it may be able to be used as apart of the emission report. At worst you can use it to test your car to ensure it complys before going for a test.

In Victoria there is a fee of roughly 1500 bucks (that is the figure) for a one shot test. If Vic rego cars can scam a free test off the RTA I don't know, but if you can you could at least use it to ensure the car complys before going for the real test.

The other alternative is to drop a BA/F FG turbo motor with factory ECU and emission controls then you DO NOT need any form of emission testing, as the engine in factory trim already complys with the stricter EURO standards. Only need to engineer k-frame shenaniagins, which isn't hard provided you don't make a hash of it.

Any path will involve an engineers fee for having a look and siging off on anything.

The best thing to do is to call an approved engineer (RTA website) and work with them. Tell them what you plan to do and work with them.

Why everyone finds this so hard to understand I don't know.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Cause they are either tight a*** and the engineers report costs more than their 50 buck 1000hp turbo installation, or the fact that they fear getting knocked back by the engineer so they don't bother asking.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ford au3

Power: 127 rwkw

NSW, Australia

well thanx guys lot info that i needed couse i see the bolt on kits for the au and wondered about the engineering side of things cheers once again :mrgreen:

2001 au3 ford falcon
170.8rwhp

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Easy to pass an emissions test. Hollow wastegate with a dead stock motor run by the factory ecu. It wont hit boost so there will be no issues at all.

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Yeah, its easy and definitely worth doing.

When i still had my turbo motor coming ( :evil: ) i asked around about engineering the car with the turbo. I found it was only going to cost about $250 and that particular guy wasn't too stressed about an emmisions test as long as the ecu i used has a closed loop cruise.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Easy to pass an emissions test. Hollow wastegate with a dead stock motor run by the factory ecu. It wont hit boost so there will be no issues at all.

What, pay more money to set yourself up for a bigger a** fudging down the track?

If your not gonna comply, why waste time and money on piece of tin that will lead to a world of hurt if it actually has to be tested.

Emission limits
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... ssion.aspx

ADR37
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... pdf/37.pdf

Big list of ADR documents
http://www.frli.gov.au/ComLaw/legislati ... trument-Ve

EPA Victoria modified vechicle guidelines
http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/about_us/legislation/air.asp

QLD standards, they don't count as they are the dodegy state.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/In ... fications/

Do it properly or don't F**k bother.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If you don't go wild with boost, and can use the stock ECU & fuel system you might not need an emissions test, as your factory ecu is set to keep emissions within legal limits. That would make engineering so much easier to pass.

I'm in the process of turbo charging my little mighty boy, and altho it doesn't need to comply with any standards at all, a loop hole in ADR 27c, due to the engine being so small, the engineer still wants me to have the EGR, evap & fit a cat. Car already has EGR & evap controls anyway, so i just have to fit a cat to make him happy. It also means my modified car will be less harmful to the environment than it was when new!

I'd suggest you start calling engineers & talking with them, even get one or two to do an initial consult with you on your project. I did that recently for the mighty boy, talked about the mods, shown the unmodified vehicle to the engineer, did a brake force test, yada yada. Only cost me $110, money well spent to find out if i could do the project or if i'm wasting my time...... Result was project is ok, just need to find out what boost level i'm allowed to run if there is a restriction. I'm awaiting some paperwork from the engineer to advise the finer details of what is required to pass the car.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]