Fordmods Logo

Fitting pulley onto Powerdyne 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitting pulley onto Powerdyne
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone fitted a pulley onto a Powerdyne supercharger before (or berhaps any blower or similar device). Basically, the hole on the pulleys are extremely tight fit. The pulleys are alloy while the blowers shaft is steel. It took a lot of effort to get the old pulley off. Now obviously I don't want to knock the new pulley on as I'm guessing that could do internal damage to seals and bearings and what not. Any ideas how to fit it on? I was thinking using a longer bolt and heating the pulley up, greasing the shaft and winding it on?

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't want to heat anything up. If you heat the pulley up and attempt to push it onto the shaft, it might just bend the pulley and warp it.

To fit it properly you need to use a bench press.

Try bringing it to a local mechanic, they might be able to press it on for you. I would suggest a place that have worked with forced inductions, reason being that they might know a method of doing it without damaging the charger.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

phongus wrote:
I wouldn't want to heat anything up. If you heat the pulley up and attempt to push it onto the shaft, it might just bend the pulley and warp it.

Try bringing it to a local mechanic, they might be able to press it on for you. I would suggest a place that have worked with forced inductions, reason being that they might know a method of doing it without damaging the charger.

phong =P~

I'd be imaging that you'd have to heat it up significanly in order to warp it. Plus, since it's only being pushed on from the center it won't warp as there's no restriction or anything holding it back from the outside.

As for pressing it on, in order to do that you'd have to support the other end of the shaft. In order to do that you'd have to pully the blower apart, so that's not really an option.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
phongus wrote:

phong =P~

I'd be imaging that you'd have to heat it up significanly in order to warp it. Plus, since it's only being pushed on from the center it won't warp as there's no restriction or anything holding it back from the outside.

As for pressing it on, in order to do that you'd have to support the other end of the shaft. In order to do that you'd have to pully the blower apart, so that's not really an option.

Hmmm...I was thinking more in the lines of how to put a pulley on a water pump but I guess this is a hole different story. In that case I will shut up and let someone else help :D.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

You could ring CAPA and ask how they do it??

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Mr.Kiss wrote:
You could ring CAPA and ask how they do it??

I would, but they're not open.

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

It's on now, heated it up with a heat gun and wound it on with a longer bolt and washers/spacers. no dramas.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]