Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: fuel regs in turbo 4 lt
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey guys

getting the wolf and injectors installed ant tuned very soon ,just wondering what fuel regs everyone uses and what brand/type just so i have some idea and rough prices would be good too

cheers jarrod

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sard are tops...
For hi power [over 600 h.p] Magnafuel regs

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

id never use a SARD reg... i bought one, then sold it when i found they arent 1:1.. theyre 1.7:1 or something like that...

since you are using aftermarket management, ONLY use a 1:1 fuel reg, steer clear of anyone telling you you need a rising rate because you are running boost.

the purpose of a fuel reg is to keep a constant pressure drop across the injector, so no matter what boost you are running, the pressure drop should always be 42psi (3bar), ie, the pressure DROP shoulnt vary with manifold pressure

my personal favorites are the turbosmart fuel regs, they have the lowest pressure variance... ie. the smallest pressure ripple pattern

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

any one else got any responses to fuel regs ??

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Is there any particular reason to have the pressure constant throughout the rail when on boost? Why is running a 1.7:1 reg bad?

I dont understand why it would matter as long as the engine was getting the fuel it needs and the ECU was tuned to suit.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Is there any particular reason to have the pressure constant throughout the rail when on boost? Why is running a 1.7:1 reg bad?

I dont understand why it would matter as long as the engine was getting the fuel it needs and the ECU was tuned to suit.

There is a good case for maintaining pressure ramp at 1:1... most of the stress being directed towards the fuel pump (easily addressed) but also the adverse affect this can have on fuel injectors.

The lower the fuel pressure in the rail (to a point, obviously) the better....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

im using the sard reg have no problems. did have a malpassi rr 2:1 on my car before and it was the worst thing eva. it never could keep the same pressure, and was very loud witch was very annoying when driving.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fritzz has a good example of what a fuel map looks like when you use a rising rate reg.... TERRIBLE

as 4.9 said, the more overall fuel pressure, the more load on your fuel pump.... and you know what that means??? as fuel pressure goes up, pump flow capacity goes down....

injectors are designed to operate on 3bar generally... increasing the working pressure of the injector will do a couple of things, make the pintle harder to open, causing pulse width vs open time issues that are eratic, and also, have an adverse effect on injector spray patterns...

its up to you, but seriously, if you have a choice and have programmable management, buy a 1:1, its the way god intended

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The difference should always be constant between manifold pressure and fuel pressure... If this is the case the injectors won't have issues... Injectors over 60Lb are normally low impedance which gives drivers more control...Up too 400 rwkw you are possibly fine with sts fuel lines .. But after that some real upgrades need to be done to fuel supply..
Atleast -8 to feed fuel rail and atleast -6 return which means the fuel reg has to flow this amount....Due to pumps having such a high flow rate...As in two Bosch 044 pumps...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

to add to what graham says about fuel line sizes... for anyone interested, i have flow tested std fuel lines with a bosch 044 running 13.8v and i got a flow of 4l/min at 60psi rail pressure..

that equates roughly to enough fuel for a MAXIMUM SAFE level of 660hp.... 365rwkw

i am ever so close to that mark now, and realise that atleast a bigger pump will be needed to push any futher

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

YEP I fitted two 984's Bosch pumps in parallel and still using std as lift pump to surge tank... At 448 rwkw / over 16 Lb, it starts to dip in fuel pressure, BAD BAD news!!.. I'm going to upgrade in tank pump, but the issue can be pushing too much fuel around and heating fuel up.. The solution there is to fit a voltage reg to slow pumps down at low boost... Brands like "Boost a pump" etc....Just more to go wrong though....
Fitting larger steel fuel lines is not hard though, just make sure pipe is NOT hardened like my first attempt was!! Talk about doing things the hard way!!! A 5 mtr tube cost $25.00 Alloy tubing is around $50.00...

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

if you have the std pump as a lift pump, you will run into trouble, i flowed it at about 2l/min unloaded........

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

so you guys are saying rising rate fuel regs are a no go with a turbo setup, a constant rate of fuel is better?

why does everyone always go on about how important having a rising rate is, to match air with the correct amount of fuel.

I see it from your point, since its the injector open time that determines the fuel more than anything, a constant fuel pressure shouldnt be a problem?

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yes mate, definately a rising rate reg is a bad idea..

i tell you where the rising reg concept came from, it came from std turbo cars running more boost then std, the easy way to counteract more air was to increase fuel presssure at a rate more than inlet pressure

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
yes mate, definately a rising rate reg is a bad idea..

i tell you where the rising reg concept came from, it came from std turbo cars running more boost then std, the easy way to counteract more air was to increase fuel presssure at a rate more than inlet pressure

that makes sense, and I guess it went on from there, people building custom turbo setups continued on using them from the std setups...

so what are some of the problems that can arise from using a rising rate? I'm using one now in the turbo XF, so far so good, no lean outs, not going rich on me or anything...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next