Fordmods Logo

head/gasket options for lower compression 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: head/gasket options for lower compression
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG

SA, Australia

HI guys i have decided to start building a turbo six motor,its my original motor out of my xg.

the head is stuffed corossion between the water jacket and the cylinder.

1. is there a better head i could use i recall people saying ea one were better for turbo bigger combustion chamber there for lower compression.

2 is it necesity to oring if i want around the 250kw mark(in respect to having a longer lasting engine)i have read mls gaskets are just as good these days.

3.are the copper acl gaskets anygood worth the expense? will the thicker version lower compression by much.

4.i have access to a mig (can buy ally wire) and a milling machine can i repair my own head. any advise on doing this

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
i dont want to spend bucket loads on the motor but want to put somthing in that will last some duration of time.

any advise or links would be helpful, i did a search on here and turned up nothing that answered my questions.

thanks in advance jason

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Falcon

NSW, Australia

you have every thing around the wrong way bigger conbustion camber means less compression id look at an ED/EL/EF XR6 head the problem is you cant run to high compresson with a turbo

God made Holdens to keep d**k Heads out of FORDS

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Buy an AU engine and go from there...
Yes they have 9.2 comp but if you have good ecu and fuel delivery is up to power levels 9.2 is fine...
ACL have some low comp pistons, it maybe easier to fit AU rods due to pin height is different ...
But if you want 250 rwkw around 9 to 1 is fine with good tune...It will be VERY throttle responsive also...NO [or very little] lag between off boost and on .. Low comp [under 8.5] is for very high power levels...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG

SA, Australia

since posting i have found heaps more information here and on other sites.Thanks for the reply

i assume from what you are saying that a stock au engine would be the best option, cost wise i am sure i could pick up a au engine for not much more than what an exchange head would cost.

just need to work out the plans for the auto and diff first, then the shopping for the turbo begins

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:17 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i agree with EBxr8 find a nice low K Au motor and go from there id just get Dished pistons for it and thats it... Run 10 - 12 Pound and it will be fine... if you want you could get Typhoon rods for the au motor... but you wouldnt need to go that far.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

i have an ef xr6 that i am turboin atm and i wanna lower compression without touching the bottom end i have heard of people using a copper head gaskets from an au is this correct. or is there a better one

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep two of them.. Copper and O ring is for extreme boost.. Over 20 Lb or over 400 kw's..
If your running gas high-sh comp is fine..
The XR6 motors have high comp heads which limits its max boost/ power..
The last of the E.L utes / comercial run E.B engines with 8.8 compression.. But are getting a little old now..
There's plenty of turbo engines with two AU head gaskets to lower compression.. Btw the MLS AU head gaskets are thinner than earlier graphite gaskets

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

ohk im only gonna run 8psi. i just dont want my engine blowing up straight awaY . so i should use two au head gaskets then?

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]