Help turbo tuning in Adelaide 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Help turbo tuning in Adelaide
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB turbo

Power: 276 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey everyone, first post so ill do my best not to dribble and ask questions that have been asked before.

not sure if i should post this here but i sort of comes under this area (sure it will be moved if required)

i am slowly piecing togeather a turbo falcon and am looking for somewhere to get tuned around adelaide. There are a few around and ive rung a couple myself, im really just looking for anyone who has had good experiances with anyone in particular. ECU is not chosen yet as ill use whatever the tuner reccomends (for obvious reasons).

2 quots iv been given (supplied fitted and tuned) are 3500$(ems 68 or 8860 i asume) and 2500$ haltech(E6x i assume) thies are estamations made by the companies and would go up from there if need be they explained.
About right i supose.

Ill quickley run through the basics of the car so you can see where im at:

EB2 gli with EF xr front (apprentice panel beater) its not that hard...
T5 (yes i know it will die thats next once its running)
motor recieved rings and bearings approx 30,000k ago
almost new 94ab reco head with ports cleaned up and flows 360 hp ( so the sheet says) A crow camshaft was fitted at the time and is still in there.
still running dizzy on this motor, larger coil xr plugs new leads. Could go ignitor over tfi ( more controle over and or stronger spark yes?)
snort s4 manifold,gt40 (not r) I was upgraded from s3 kit due to delays and thats what i got, no dramas for me as im not looking to break records

3inch turbo back exhaust is priced an to be instaled soon,still have screamer looking to can it before it drives

480cc squirters, walbro 255ltr, exceedy 35% stiffer clutch (fingers crossed on this as im looking out for the box).

has an oil cooler ,intercooler is 600 by 300.

boost is going to be whatever wastgate provides I believe its 8psi. no boost controler(thats a recipe for disaster)

dba sloted discs and bendex ultimate pads. Nolathane front end, kings and gt gas underneath.
New uni joints and a minni spool, no xr tailshaft but that not an issue for me yet.

ill get a few picks
The goal is 220 RWKW

Anyone with some feedback on places to get it tuned would be greatly appreciated. Cheers gys :)

EB 2,T5, snort kit, 3 inch, 044, turbosmart reg, LC1, 46lb, crow cam, EMS stinger
Now with 275.7 rwkw @13 psi

Post subject: Re: Help turbo tuning in Adelaide
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB Fairmont

SA, Australia

EB/F XR6T wrote:
Hey everyone, first post so ill do my best not to dribble and ask questions that have been asked before.

not sure if i should post this here but i sort of comes under this area (sure it will be moved if required)

i am slowly piecing togeather a turbo falcon and am looking for somewhere to get tuned around adelaide. There are a few around and ive rung a couple myself, im really just looking for anyone who has had good experiances with anyone in particular. ECU is not chosen yet as ill use whatever the tuner reccomends (for obvious reasons).

2 quots iv been given (supplied fitted and tuned) are 3500$(ems 68 or 8860 i asume) and 2500$ haltech(E6x i assume) thies are estamations made by the companies and would go up from there if need be they explained.
About right i supose.

Ill quickley run through the basics of the car so you can see where im at:

EB2 gli with EF xr front (apprentice panel beater) its not that hard...
T5 (yes i know it will die thats next once its running)
motor recieved rings and bearings approx 30,000k ago
almost new 94ab reco head with ports cleaned up and flows 360 hp ( so the sheet says) A crow camshaft was fitted at the time and is still in there.
still running dizzy on this motor, larger coil xr plugs new leads. Could go ignitor over tfi ( more controle over and or stronger spark yes?)
snort s4 manifold,gt40 (not r) I was upgraded from s3 kit due to delays and thats what i got, no dramas for me as im not looking to break records

3inch turbo back exhaust is priced an to be instaled soon,still have screamer looking to can it before it drives

480cc squirters, walbro 255ltr, exceedy 35% stiffer clutch (fingers crossed on this as im looking out for the box).

has an oil cooler ,intercooler is 600 by 300.

boost is going to be whatever wastgate provides I believe its 8psi. no boost controler(thats a recipe for disaster)

dba sloted discs and bendex ultimate pads. Nolathane front end, kings and gt gas underneath.
New uni joints and a minni spool, no xr tailshaft but that not an issue for me yet.

ill get a few picks
The goal is 220 RWKW

Anyone with some feedback on places to get it tuned would be greatly appreciated. Cheers gys :)

Chuck that minispool out (ie sell it) and get yourself a lokka

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

Doin it for Scotty.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Boostinoz
Stanbel Rd
Salisbury Plain

Dennis will help you out, good tuners
Boostinoz like EMS systems and sell them

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Cheers for the link. Ill have a look into it.

EB 2,T5, snort kit, 3 inch, 044, turbosmart reg, LC1, 46lb, crow cam, EMS stinger

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

opto wrote:
Boostinoz
Stanbel Rd
Salisbury Plain

Dennis will help you out, good tuners
Boostinoz like EMS systems and sell them

Thanks for that. Thats not far from home so I might go in for a chat sometime soon if i can get away from work. We are flat out ATM.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

AMMRR.. All Make Motor Repairs and Restorations would be a place to look into aswell..

why, because they use and sell Autronic, and are into Falcon 4l and have done a couple and are right into the turbo 4L idea... I was there on monday and Steve the owner was asking about buying my old gt35 manifold off me for use on his promo AU.

The reason i know about this place is that they are the sole DynaPack agant in adelaide... and we Hire their dyno for tuning our race cars.. we do all our own tuning but just hire the dynapack... On monday we tuned our Lamborghini Gallardo there, new engine and exhaust and got quad VCT control now working. After using the dynapack i must say i probably wouldnt use anything else

If you go there, tell him Brad from Supaloc Racing suggested you contact him about tuning a turbo falcon, and i also reccomend using the Autronic...

however, as is the case with a lot of budget setups on this site, the Autronic is out of reach price wise, im not sure what other brands they are familar with.

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
AMMRR.. All Make Motor Repairs and Restorations would be a place to look into aswell..

why, because they use and sell Autronic, and are into Falcon 4l and have done a couple and are right into the turbo 4L idea... I was there on monday and Steve the owner was asking about buying my old gt35 manifold off me for use on his promo AU.

The reason i know about this place is that they are the sole DynaPack agant in adelaide... and we Hire their dyno for tuning our race cars.. we do all our own tuning but just hire the dynapack... On monday we tuned our Lamborghini Gallardo there, new engine and exhaust and got quad VCT control now working. After using the dynapack i must say i probably wouldnt use anything else

If you go there, tell him Brad from Supaloc Racing suggested you contact him about tuning a turbo falcon, and i also reccomend using the Autronic...

however, as is the case with a lot of budget setups on this site, the Autronic is out of reach price wise, im not sure what other brands they are familar with.

cheers for this info ebs_4l. Its good to look at each end of the spectrum and this is what im looking for here.The most important thing is its sequential capable so i can run coils once a new motor is built later on. Not buying 2 ECUs for no reason. cheers again ill look into the Autronic. good to look at all options, that way ill be happy in the end.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:

I cannot recommend AMMMR, I had a tune done to an N/A I6 with a cam, took it for a dyno day, was told the tune is breaking down, got a dyno result on the dyno day that showd my AMMMR result was fudged.

Reason he uses Autronics is because they can autotune themselves, makes it easy for him.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fair enough.. i have no personal experience with his tuning, as i said, we do our own tune but lease the dyno.. but he seems to have done quite a bit of tuning..

as for the fudged readings, im not getting into any sort of dyno wars s**t here, except to say.. dynapack does transfer you drive to the dyno with a s**t better effieciency that a slipping tyre on a roller, therefore, you will always read slightly higher power with this type of dyno...

our porsche for example, used to make 215-220rwkw with the dynapack, and when we were in perth for targa tas, we ran it up on MCE's dynodynamics where it showed 190rwkw

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Quote:
I cannot recommend AMMMR, I had a tune done to an N/A I6 with a cam, took it for a dyno day, was told the tune is breaking down, got a dyno result on the dyno day that showd my AMMMR result was fudged.

Reason he uses Autronics is because they can autotune themselves, makes it easy for him.

Thanks opto again for your honesty. This is why im after peoples opinions.
Having said that im not going to bag anyone on hearsay, when i get the time ill def be speaking to all the places i can to explore what they can offer me. Then i know im making the best choice for myself.

:wink: cheers gys keep em coming if you know somewhere....

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:

dynapack does transfer you drive to the dyno with a s**t better effieciency that a slipping tyre on a roller, therefore, you will always read slightly higher power with this type of dyno...

our porsche for example, used to make 215-220rwkw with the dynapack, and when we were in perth for targa tas, we ran it up on MCE's dynodynamics where it showed 190rwkw

valid point ebs_4l this will be taken into consideration cheers again.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
fair enough.. i have no personal experience with his tuning, as i said, we do our own tune but lease the dyno.. but he seems to have done quite a bit of tuning..

as for the fudged readings, im not getting into any sort of dyno wars s**t here, except to say.. dynapack does transfer you drive to the dyno with a s**t better effieciency that a slipping tyre on a roller, therefore, you will always read slightly higher power with this type of dyno...

haha mce is one of the high reading dynos in Perth to.

dam u must have a awesome job brad. working on race cars all day, and flying all over the place,

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

its ok but the hours suck.. right now were doing a lot of hours to get the lambo ready for targa tas. We should win there, provided theres no mistakes or mechanical issues

oh, btw, i just remembered why we were down on power a bit, i think it was probably 10kw down in perth, and thats because we had one of two motec cdi boxes failed.. the engine has two plugs per cylinder, fired simulataneously, so dropping one box doesnt stop it running, but it does drop power.. so we had to advance the timing about 8deg to try make up for it...

you cant run as much timing with two plugs as you can with one, since you are igniting two flame fronts, therefore the mix burns faster

anyway, this thread was about adelaide tuners, so ill stop now..

Another ford tuner from adelaide is Bruce Heinrich, hes the ford saloon car god, and tunes a s**t of fords, and a lot of xr6t's.. his typhoon makes a touch over 400rwkw... There is two guys sharing the workshop there, at Heinrich Performance and tuning, the other guy recently moved over from W.A and he is a Motec dealer... so getting a motec fitted and tuned there wouldnt be a problem...

goodluck

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]