Hooking up switch to Turbo Thermo's 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Hooking up switch to Turbo Thermo's
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I am just trying to find out ASAP if you can hook a switch up to the thermo so i can just have them running while the car is off or anytime, but i just want to make sure it wont f**k with the computer, i have a flash tuner on it to.

I have looked at the thermo's and after the plug there is a active and nutural going to each fan, i figure i can just tap into both of these and run some cable to the battery and switch, im looking at Data mine here but will this f**k with the computer at all in anyway?????? Im fairly sure it wont but u never know with these smart Ford computers

Cheers
Dylan

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

theres no point in having thermo's running if the motors stopped (unless you have an electric water pump)
The ecu does a good enough job of controlling the fans, so there really is no need to override it...... but yeah it is possible by triggering the negative side of the fan relays same as the ecu does

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I want to do it so i can leave the car for 10mins or so and then i cna start my car and as soon as i start the car the cold water from the radiator will go straight into the motor and it wont be overally warm on start up cos at the moment the car can be at perfect running temp and if i park it for 5-10mins or longer and go and start it then it will be up at the halfway mark.
I just want to have it there as the weather is getting hotter and i want to be able to have the switch there for safty

Cheers Dylan

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:37 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

You will Crack your block and warp your head.

The coolant in the radiator will be stone cold and will rush on startup into a engine thats probberly at 110 Degrees and the sudden cooling on hot metals will be disasterus.

Read up on Metalurgy.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

There is no way it will be stone cold.... but yes i was thinking that might be a problem but i don think it will be that big of a deal i dont plain on using it all the time just every now and then

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

the water sitting in the radiator will return to ambient temp whether it has a fan blowing over the fins or not.

5-10mins of fan vs 5-10mins of still air/wind is going to give the same effect.
thus there is no point, other than to blow engine bay hot air out, but considering then it will cool the outside of stuff before it cools the inside it could warp things (highly unlikely tho)

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

griffo161 wrote:
I want to do it so i can leave the car for 10mins or so and then i cna start my car and as soon as i start the car the cold water from the radiator will go straight into the motor and it wont be overally warm on start up cos at the moment the car can be at perfect running temp and if i park it for 5-10mins or longer and go and start it then it will be up at the halfway mark.
I just want to have it there as the weather is getting hotter and i want to be able to have the switch there for safty

Cheers Dylan

its normal for the temp to go up when at operating temp and you turn it off. the water isnt moving through the cooling system so that means there is warm water sitting around the temp sender and it has time to heat up. temp should drop back to normal once you start driving again.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

garsiph wrote:
You will Crack your block and warp your head.

The coolant in the radiator will be stone cold and will rush on startup into a engine that probberly at 110 Degrees and the sudden cooling on hot metals will be disastrous.

Read up on Metallurgy.

He is running a thermostat...
A turbo timer can be fitted to thermo fans to opperate like you want..
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... &SUBCATID=
It helps to have fans on for 30 to 90 seconds after shut down to prevent heat sink into fuel lines and parts alittle sensitive..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

as said b4: there is very little point to running your thermos with the car off.

there are so many ppl out there that seem to think this works!! Like wtf. If the coolant is not flowing then all your doing is cooling down the radiator so that you can warp your head once the car turns on!

As EBXR8 said: the only REAL way to do it is to use a turbo timer (which will keep the enigine on so the coolant and still circulate). Then wire it up so ur fans come on full speed when the turbo timer is on. if you run it for a couple of mins then it will cool things down heaps!

Just to clarify - not getting up you at all. Its just so funny that 99% of ppl have no idea about how a cooling system works. On sat nights i see so many hoons do massive burnouts etc and then turn their car off straight away. Good way to warp your head.

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

mate i know exactly how a cooling system works. I went to tech and studied this s**t for 2yrs.
Doing a burnout then turning the car off in a XR6T is going to warp my head it will f**k my turbo and motor but warp my head i think not.

The only reason i want a switch for the fans is so that i can start the car up after 5-10mins and not have heat soak for the next 20mins of driving

akademiks- I dont know if you know this but the hole point of Thermo's is to suck air through the radiator thus simulating driving, how u got that having air blowing throw the radator (as if you were driving) is the exact same as having it just sitting there i dont know

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

dude..... chill

the heatsoak occurs inside the head. the radiator does get some as well but not as much (as it is able to radiate).

the head does not radiate quite the same

the burnout idea - you certainly can warp your head - not just fuk your turbos.
i've seen countless headgaskets blow and heads need shaving from this exact cause. (including a bf typhoon). so yes it can happen

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

unfortunately the fans are not going to solve your heat soak issue - you've got a couple hundred KG of cast iron thats around 95 degrees and around 8 litres of water at the same temp, 5 mins of fans running isnt going to cool it.
the only way to help minimise heat soak is to open the bonnet and let the hot air out.
If running fans for a few minutes after shut down had any advantages, dont you think manufacturers would enable this as an option in the ecu?

if you want to to cool things down after you turn the motor off you would need an electric water pump, and run that along with the fans for some time after you shut it down.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

What harm apart from MAYBE and thats a big MAYBE damage to the head which i see very unlikely to happen what harm may happen????? So if there is no harm then why not do it???

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

As the infmaous Jaguar Company stated for there XJ12 Engines.

After hard driving let engine idle for 5 minutes before shutdown. This will avoid heatsoak and bearing damage.

That was published in a 1967 Manual. And thoes cars are still going around never rebuilt.

But were also dealing with a 18 yr old here. He does not have experiance in the real world as much as the rest of us.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

griffo161 wrote:
What harm apart from MAYBE and thats a big MAYBE damage to the head which i see very unlikely to happen what harm may happen????? So if there is no harm then why not do it???

ok we need to clear a few things up

1. doing burnout and then switching off engine straight away and running thermo fan does nothing good for the engine (doing this WILL warp your head if you do it enough).

2. the idea of having the thermo run for 5 mins after turning engine off is not going to cause the head to warp (i think you misunderstood what i said). BUT it will not be effective at preventing heatsoak! Therefore pointless draining of the battery

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next