How much boost can I run? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: How much boost can I run?
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Gday all,

I have a stroked, balanced, forged 383 clevo and Im at the stage of decking the block. We have measured it up and I can have anything from 8.6 to 9.9 CR. Im thinking about 8.9 - 9.0.

I have a powerdyne that I have upgraded the belt and bearings to handle 60 000 internal revs instead of the usual 36 000 stock, so it will make about 12+ PSI if I gear it up.

Just after a few opinions on what boost I can expect to run with this kind of set up before detonation sets in. Im looking at 8pound, does this sound about right?

Cheers,

Matt

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

I know I asked nearly the same thing only a little while ago bit the CR has changed since then and the intercooler idea is out the window for now. I wanted a little more CR to up performance lower in the rev range.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

8psi Seems about right.

To be able to get 12psi out of a powerdyne is one thing, but to get it in the volume for the 383 requires is a big ask.

Reliably 8psi on around 9-9.5 compression is ideal. Powerdynes are known to be air heaters when trying to boost em over 10psi. And being a sealed unit too they can wear a fair bit. If you want it to boost up a little earlier a smaller pulley would help, but at the same time if you are revving it out past 5.5-6 then generally the speed that the internals are subjected to will great increase the wear.

I'd be starting between 8 pounds and trying to find a good trade off point.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Thanks, I am shimming the impeller and venting the case for a little more cooling. Also using 450 deg grease on the high speed bearings instead of the std 250deg. From what Iv heard it should put out atleast the 8psi I want, all day long with no complaints.

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you put a 30mm restrictor on inlet you'll be able to reliably run 10 Lb easy....
Imo the blower is alittle small...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:28 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

Thanks. I was thinking of playing with the intake piping a little before getting it welded up. I would have bought a vortech if I had've known this was a BD11a and not the gear driven unit...ebay...pfffft

From what I have heard from the states the mods I am doing will give me 8psi no worries. Thats all Im after for the moment. If I want more in the future I will be getting a vortech and having to lower my CR.

I found this interesting...dont think I will be doing it though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super-Po ... 0134703843

I'll gear it up and see what kind of boost I can get out of it just for interests sake, but I only plan to use 8psi. I'll watch the intake temp to see when it starts to heat up the charge too much.

Wish I could find a main/crank 6 rig/groove pulley that is bigger than 6"...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]