Fordmods Logo

Is my turbo too big? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

hmmmm, u've forgotten more than anyone here knows??? then you tell us when ya friggin truck turbo will spool up!!

why dont you go to every bloody turbo performance workshop the world over and explain to em' all that you dont need an intercooler, im sure all the japanese tuners would be interested to hear ya story

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

Quote:
hmmmm, u've forgotten more than anyone here knows???

I was not referring to you or anyone else. Just the person who made the comment.
Dont get excited.

Im guessing that it probably won't come on boost until 3000rpm.
Ok Its not that I don't need an intercooler its that I don't want one.
I could spend only a few bucks to setup a quick water/methanol injection system instead of forking out a few hundred on an intercooler.

Why not add some CONSTRUCTIVE critisim instead of just raving on?

Quote:
why dont you go to every bloody turbo performance workshop the world over and explain to em' all that you dont need an intercooler, im sure all the japanese tuners would be interested to hear ya story

Why don't you read what Ive written properly before you start jumping to conclusions.
Im a mechanic by trade. Are you? I know this doesnt mean I know everything but I know a lot more about this stuff than most.
I reckon there is a few blokes here that know more about this stuff than I do im just waiting for them to come out of the woodworks.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

luke111 wrote:
Why not add some CONSTRUCTIVE critisim instead of just raving on?

Coz when people do that you get all f**k up-ety about things and tell how fan-f**k tastic your setup will be. If its so bloody good than why are you here asking for advice.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

more intelligent people ay???
i told you what i thought and my reply was a valid one with useful advice...
i have experience with turboed falcons so if you wanna call everyone on here dumb then go for it but dont expect us to be too happy about it... people on here are trying to help and every time someone says something you just disregard it.

no you dont need to run an intercooler.... watr/methanol injection is actualy a good way of doing it provided you have the right atomisation and the right mixture. less pipe work is a plus but having to constantly check how much water/methanol you have is a drawback. im not saying dont use it im actualy agreeing with your proposed cooling system it WILL WORK!!! an intercooler is just more conventional and way more promoted
i also suggested a pod filter worth $30 so i didnt say spend heaps i just thought they were better because of the warranty...
i would suggest more then 7psi tho... to achieve a bit more power... because your system is being done to a budget you will not be extracting all the power possible so add a few more pounds... say 12psi and you will see better gains...
good luck and hope you finish the project the way you want but dont insult people... we are only giving our opinions and advice

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

luke 111, yes i am a mechanic aswell, and i am also building a turbo eb of my own, details of it can be found in the i want to be pyroay thread....

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Every comment made has been exactly what I was looking for above.

The only people that have upset me are: ebs_4l,
with:
Quote:
hmmmm, u've forgotten more than anyone here knows??? then you tell us when ya friggin truck turbo will spool up!!

That was a bit uncalled for especially when I was only referring to the individual that made the comment.

Quote:
Coz when people do that you get all f**k up-ety about things and tell how fan-f**k tastic your setup will be. If its so bloody good than why are you here asking for advice.

I have not once said my setup was fantastic. Ive said pretty much this is what I have planned, please tell me what I should change to make it work.
Almost everyone has done that and brought something good to the table except a couple of people.

IS THERE SOME UNWRITTEN RULES HERE THAT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT SAYS I'M NOT ALLOWED TO DISAGREE WITH OTHERS?
Quote:
more intelligent people ay???
spack-pilot

I DONT HAVE AN ISSUE WITH YOU. Thank you for your comments they are appreciated.
So far I am getting far more responses here than any other web forum.

Anyways I pulled my turbo apart last night and did some more measuring and it is way too big.
This is what I found:

compressor major - 102mm
compressor minor - 64mm
40 trim
blade tip 19mm
a=55 r=80
.68 AR
compressor measure about 23cm across

turbine major - 96mm
turbine minor - 81mm
turbine exducer bore - 91mm
turbine entry 2 * (40*60mm)
blade tip 25mm
a=60 r=90
.66 AR

IT IS WAY TOO BIG!!!

Thanks for all the replys guys, Im not going to use this turbo anymore Im going to search for something a bit smaller.
It should be roughly the same as a TV61 on the compressor side and with the turbine exducer at 91mm it should be capable of 600HP. This is more than what I want.

What size turbo (just one) should I be chasing that is pretty small good for only 7psi and comes on boost at around 1800-2000rpm. I think that would be ideal.
I would like a nice simple setup very similar to the gasresearch stage 1 kit that is very responsive, im not after huuuge power just some fun.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo ute

NSW, Australia

if your only after a small turbo why not look for one of the turbo's from the nissan rb motor like from the rb20,25,30 or 33 or even look for a wrecked xr6turbo and get the setup of that... just my 2cents

Keep on truckin

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

to me it sounds like its to small but thats just goin off the little research i have done

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Do a serch for "turbocalc" -you might have to Kazza this one. It's a program that sizes turbos for cars. I think an older version is free. Has compressor maps for popular turbos etc.

Probabily best to get a new turbo since at least it will have current technology and be reliable.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

This may sound crazy or this may have already been done before but what about a turbo from a RX7 Series 5?
I know the series 4 had a .82 ar on the exhaust but the series 5 had a 1.00AR on the exhaust.
The compressor is roughly the same as a garrett t03 60 trim so this should be ok bit small maybe. They are good for at least 350cfm.
My ea doesnt really like to rev much past 4000rpm anyways so i think it might be ok???
It should be nice and responsive.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

How much do you want to spend ???
Better in the long run buying new !!!
I can get GT35/40's for $1650 or there abouts...
Buying second hand is just NOT worth it...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

my XF runs a series4/5 rx7 turbo... the hitachi
18S-2S (which series is this?)
not ideal but it works.... so yes that would be suitable as my motor is close to 4.2 and yours is 4.0 should go well i cant comment on when boost hits because i have a 2 1/4 dump and a severely cracked manifold so boost would be way off.... but it should be aroound 1900 probably less...
very cheap so even if it did die you could replace it for $150 (ebay specials)
... cheers

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr6ute, XE351,65 fastback muzzy

QLD, Australia

methanol is your friend ,high pressure pump to a small spray nozzle will give more atomizing. if stock injectores dont flow enouph why not plumb in 1 or 2 more to cool intake charge ? mate of mine put methanol nozzle in front of turbo it worked but i dont think it does the turbo any good . i drove a truck with a 460HP cummins by memmory it sat on 37 psi up a hill ,full boost started at 1200rpm and change gears at no more 1700rpm.INTERCOOLERS can be a pain in the a**!, for cool dense air ?watermist , fog , have you checked out the local garden shop, sprayers

xr6 ute, XE 351, 65 fastback muzzy

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2