Fordmods Logo

Is this a modded wastegate? think it is. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Is this a modded wastegate? think it is.
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I think I have scored a modded wastegate on my new car. Want someone else to verify if that is ok.

I pulled my turbo out today to change the busted actuator and mod the wastegate with my die grinder before putting it all back in.

I took lots of photos of the falcon wastegates and researched how to do it.. and when I had the turbo out I couldn't see any easy way to make it bigger then I realised that it already was bigger.

My vernier calipers put the flap at a touch over 36mm across.. don't know what the factory one is.. but this looks like the pic I've put up below supposedly showing modded and factory flappers.

I saw a turbotech plaque on the turbo. so I am guessing this turbo was not the original.

anyway, first photos of my wastegate..

And this is the photo I had that shows modded and factory. look at the thickness of the meeting face compared to the modded one, and compared to mine.

Hi all,

I pulled my turbo out today to change the actuator and mod the wastegate with my die grinder before putting it all back in.

I took lots of photos of the falcon wastegates and reseaplsrched how to do it.. and when I had the turbo out I couldn't see any easy way to make it bigger then I realised that it already was bigger.

My vernier calipers put the flap at a touch over 36mm across.. don't know what the factory one is.. but this looks like the pic I've put up below supposedly showing modded and factory flappers.

I saw a turbotech plaque on the turbo. so I am guessing this turbo was not the original.

anyway, first photos of my wastegate..

And this is the photo I had that shows modded and factory. look at the thickness of the meeting face compared to the modded one, and compared to mine.

Looks like I scored a modded wastegate.. just want to 100% verify

makes me wonder if the springs and rods are factory. .if someone went though the effort to put a professionally modded wastegate on.. what else?

is there a way to tell if your valve springs are factory or not without pulling them out and testing tension or something?

many thanks

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: Is this a modded wastegate? think it is.
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:05 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If you pop your rocker cover and look at the springs, it will be quite easy to tell. Upgraded springs are quite beefy compaired to std.

Post subject: Re: Is this a modded wastegate? think it is.
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

hmmm.. maybe I can get an inspection camera down the oil filler or pcv valve hole and get a look at them..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]