low mount ebay turbo kit 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: low mount ebay turbo kit
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ford falcon eb gli

VIC, Australia

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-RELEASE-Lowmount-Ford-Falcon-Turbo-Kit-ea-eb-ed-ef-el-au-xh-xr6-fairmont-/150973774728?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2326bcfb88

I am looking into to buying this kit off ebay and i was wondering what everyone thinks of it and if they know ok anybody using this set up?

Cheers Zac

signature pic removed by admin. refer to guidlines for image sizes

Post subject: Re: low mount ebay turbo kit
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

seems very convincing, but would be 1/2 as good as a traditional high mount, mounted straight onto the manifold, this is the half a** way to turbo ur car, for an extra 1000 u can get a proper kit from snort performance, ive had mine on now for just over a yr, and i have no probs at all, ull get a power increase from it, but for the longevity of your car i wouldnt bother, what happens if u bottom out one day, gonna damage the turbo for sure, look in the ebay pic where the pod filter is?? thats all hot air, ur car will run like a dog with the pod sitting there, my hats off to them for making a stealth turbo kit to avoid police suspicion for the falcon, but, in saying that u have to choose,

half a** turbo kit and no worries from the cops
or
full a** turbo kit that will blow your mind and probably no worries from the cops, cuz ur driving an early 90's falcon, that cops are prob not gonna worry bout too much any way...

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Too "stealth" for it's own good.

As stated, it would get only hot air. That isn't good at all. Say goodbye to a few starter motors with that much heat next to them (Just ask the turbo torana guys running red motor turbo setups), however the ground clearance doesn't look too bad...if your not rolling on ultralows or stockies!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

hmmmm... troyman, wat do u think of this type of set up on the falcon?

what are the pros and cons in your opinion, especially for long term driving.. like i said ive had the snort kit on my ba for just about a yr now and nothing has failed, and its my daily driver...

i didnt realize the ebay seller was a fordmods member, and knew as much as he does i thought it was another knock off ebay turbo kit promising the world, as ive seen before on ebay

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

well it does work but imo the conventional way is still best, low mount is ok if you have space issues, then there is relying on a scavenge pump to return the oil from the turbo to the engine and as you mentioned ground clearence could be an issue..

as you see many falcons run turbo,s in the engine bay without issues i find its not really necessary..

if its a stealth thing because say your a p plater and you dont want to get caught?
well your going to get caught at some stage, no younger guy is going to have a turbo and not drive like a maniac,speed or do burnouts..lol

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

......and how does the oil drain from the turbo uphill?

edit: just read that it needs a scavenge pump (as i thought)...why not include one in the 'kit'?

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
......and how does the oil drain from the turbo uphill?

edit: just read that it needs a scavenge pump (as i thought)...why not include one in the 'kit'?

Helps keep the "kit" cost down? Like most of the other turbo kits, they are not full bolt on kits. Would be too expensive to sell if they were all inclusive kits.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

it seems like a good idea at first glance... but i guess the more you go into it the more you see the issues, if you could pipe the intake to a cooler place... wouldnt be that bad i guess...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

at the end of the day to the end user the cost is the same anyway as they still need to purchase a pump to make it work properly...
it is a bit misleading selling a kit for $xxxx when you need to spend another $xxx to make it work properly.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Hey guys, lots of questions, miss information and speculation hey. Were to start... We wouldnt have released this kit if it had the issues you guys are mentioning, we are putting our business name to these kits and the last thing we want is a bad rep. Many, many hours of r@d went into these kits!

The stock exhaust manifold flows way better than any log manifold and obviously being cast irion is as tuff as nails. Using a crossover pipe from an exhaust manifold to the turbo is commonly done on v6s and v8s because they need to join banks of cylinders and yes it clearly works and well, plenty of stupid fast cars around on casties. This is not ground breaking stuff, there are plenty of lowmount setups out there for commodores etc, we have not just slapped this together, loads of thought and planning/testing went into these setups.

The turbo is tucked up high as you can see in the pics there is no chance of it bottoming out, the lowest point as any car will be the cat convertor if your running one. The crossover pipe is thick steampipe with 10mm brackets, you could jack the car off it if you wanted.

Hot air rises, with the pod were it is iats are lower than being mounted high up on the exhaust side breathing hot air from a typical turbo manifold. We are getting average of 30-40c intake temps on 20psi boost so clearly its all working. The turbine is back well away from the starter motor, the compressor side wont be over 200c and isnt be hot enough to cause issues. there have been no starter motor or other heat related issues. It would be too easy to run a heatshield around starter if you were paranoid.

Well over here in sa the situation is after market turbo is illegal, we have plenty of rbts and defect stations all it takes is a look under your bonnet to land you a defect. I know of way to many cars defected for aftermarket turbo installs. With this kit you will have a much greater chance of sliding on by, sure if your doing a powerskid up the road in 3rd gear you will prob land a defect for suspicion of illegal mods. I personally like the wtf reactions when people struggle to work out how a stock looking car and stock looking engine bay can go so fast.

There are two types of scavange pump, gear and vdo. Gears are cheapest but bulky and a bit noisy about the same as twin 044s. Vdo are more $ but small and quiet. We dont offer a pump with the base kit as there are a few choices and we dont want to force customers to choose one option. We can always provide the pump you want with the kit if requested. As far as relying on the pump its the same as relying on your fuel pump. Chances of failure are slim and if it did occur a simple replacment will have you back in action.

Last track outing was a poor 13.1@115mph with terrible 2.4 60ft. Car was suffering tune related issues and overfueling heaps untill on full boost. Even so that mph is good for a high 11 quarter in a full weight auto falcon. We also have achieved a best time of 3.4seconds from 90-140kph in 2nd with some wheelspin. Its not slow and no were near topped out. We expect much better results in the future. Good value for money @ $1795 plus postage if buying direct from us, with 6months warranty on everything. We plan to hit the track and burnouts again shortly. We will be releasing a top mount version soon to cater for everyone, we can totally understand the lowmounts not for everyone.

Any more questions or suggestions feel free to ask. Cheers Will

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy that is true we have previously produced an all inclusive kit with everything and people compared it to all the other semi complete kits not factoring in the remaining costs. There seems to be more people out there with less money who would prefer to piece their chosen extras together.

I dissagree its missleading we have been upfront from the word go, our add even has an entire heading covering the extras required and costs of various scavange pumps etc. At the end of the day doing the work yourself you could have the kit running at lowboost for around 3grand.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

dont get me wrong will looks like a brilliant alternative, but just seems like something that you would have to be careful with... though from what i can read you've already taken 99% of the 'worry' out of it... top job...

have you had any prototypes running on newer models (ba/bf/fg models)?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:18 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Cheers mate, im not carefull with mine haha cops abuse every drive, the only time it really gets driven is for testing :lol: I guess once we have some more results you guys will stop worrying, i do worry i will break my btr auto poor thing has stood up to an alarming amount of abuse, last one got so hot the trans pump siezed snapping the snout off the convertor. I have a second trans cooler now and a trans temp gauge.

We have tried a test fit of the eseries lowmount kit on to an auto ba, close but no dice. The crossover would need to be slightly longer as the barra is taller and also the turbo would need to be mounted a little different as the kick down shifter is in the way. We will look into it this year depending on sales for the eseries kits. There is a stack of room under there on the b series!

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well ill keep an eye out for it, cause it is a much cheaper alternative to a traditional setup... be good as a starter kit, and if you wanted to put the effort into (like you have) you could get a lot out of it while keeping the engine bay reasonably stock and clean...

always thought about using a set of pacemakers as a turbo manifold, but with this i guess there isnt really the need to fork out all that cash just to hack up a set of pacemakers lol
your air filter get all dirty and s**t after rain/driving on dirty road/etc?

"08 XR6T Ute

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next