NEXT MODS?? XR6Turbo 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 284 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
XR6T citric wrote:
The tuner said my 20 inch wheels cost me power on the dyno? He said he has seen it many times before, big wheels cost you power on the dyno???

He said the size combines with the weight? Is this guy pulling my leg?

Once you go over a 17" rim the factory steelies actually are lighter (when both are fitted with tires). The difference in inertia is enough to rob you a fair ammount of power. If you don't know what inetria I suggest you grab yourself a copy of "Physics for engineers" by Paul A Tippler, or any engineering text book written by Norton, Shigley, Gere, Hibbler and Mabie and Reinholtz. Its a basic concept but its a b**ch of a thing to explain to someone with a limited mechanical aptitude.

And depending on the overall tire height you get more leverage by using smaller rims. Again, any physics text book will do if you want more information on leverage.

interesting. He reckons the 20s are costing me upto 20rwkw?? is he dreamin? The car does feel quicker with 18s on it.

the car has a PWR bigger intercooler on it and only made 280rwkw, valve springs, injectors, full 3 inch system, custom tune. the air filter was pretty dirty??

XR6 Turbo, 20 inch wheels, citric acid, 300rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 21 images

NSW, Australia

oops my bad on the price.

that is the correct one :oops:

bf xr6turbo siemens injectors, full plazmaman 800 hp intercooler kit, 5 inch cat and custom dual 2.5 inch zorst, billet flywheel with mal wood clutch kit, braided hoses, big brakes, 3.2L surge tank/w twin 044's rebuilt motor with forged and billet everything 420+ rwkw on 98. holden killer.

Post subject: Re: NEXT MODS?? XR6Turbo
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

XR6T citric wrote:
3 inch stainless system from the turbo back

Not to to burst your bubble or anything, but the stock dump pipe is 3" which after the (restricive)cat it splits off into twin 2.25" pipes that go through a muffler and a resinator.
By getting a 3" exhaust the only thing you've upgraded is the cat... as the twin 2.25" pipes flow about the same as a single 3" pipe.
So for the exhaust you could have just got an exhaust shop to put in a hi-flow cat and have the centre muffler removed and replaced by 2.25" pipe for better sound.

If you really what to upgrade the exhaust, then you either a 3.5" or 4" dump pipe that flows into either twin 2.5" pipes or a single 3.5" pipe.

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

COPEZ wrote:
yeah apart from a decent cooler( as we all know more cold air= more hp) i

actually no...

just having cooler air will not help

cooler air = more dense air = better cylinder filling
with more air u need more fuel those 2 combined = more power!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yes but since most cars are tuned pretty fat then cooler, more dense air will definitely help on its own to a certain degree.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:59 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Yes but since most cars are tuned pretty fat then cooler, more dense air will definitely help on its own to a certain degree.

yer i know

just stiring the pot a little and explaining to ppl who are misunderstood

same as an engine intake is vacum
kinda is but kinda isnot

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I dunno about you frankie but it drives me up the wall when kids like Citrus get that much crap fed to them by their mechanics they feel compelled to spend unnecessary dollars in order to chase every single poofteenth of a kW from their cars when all they want is something which goes a bit harder than stock.

Its like someone saying "you need 1800cc injectors" when someone is only chasing around 220rwkW. Pretty absurd if you ask me.

Just look at VL turbo's 15 years ago. These things became 13 cars with a high flowed turbo pumping out over 15psi, uprated fuel pump, 2 extra injectors activated with a pair of hobbs pressure switches and no intercooler. Add a cooler and 12 may well have been on the cards. Some kids around here would have an absolute heart attack at the thought of such crude methods employed to get cars running that hard but 15 years ago shops like Nizpro were charging top dollar for these mods.

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Something else to think about in regards to intercoolers on XR6t is the way they contorl heat and its effect on the engin managment.

When hot air is taken in, it will start to cause detonation. ALL engins have detonation, some can cope with alot more than others, some cant and bend rods, burn valves, break rings ect ect, but the amount of detonation can be controlled with a decent intercooler of some kind.
When detonation is detected by the engin managment system, timing is retarded warding off the detonation, but, as we know, retarded timing reduces power. We've all felt this on summer days in traffic as lag, timing being pulled out and the power disapearing.
A good, efficiant intercooling system will reduce this effect and the ecu will happily hold the timing where it is programed to be, keeping the power level strong and high... like driving on a cold night :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2