Fordmods Logo

Powerdyne impeller upgrade...anyone tried this? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Powerdyne impeller upgrade...anyone tried this?
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi All, has anyone used the upgrade impeller for powerdyne superchargers, made by 928 motorsports in America? Its supposed to move 20% more all across whole rev range, increase boost by 2-3psi, makes most improvement in low to mid range rpm. Also better balanced, so easier on internal belt. I'm interested in having this fitted soon. Anyone used one? And what were the results?[/img]

Attachments:
Impeller.doc [545.5 KiB]
Downloaded 384 times

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

isnt this the one that Raptor does? - and ships to the US?

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

It doesn't increase the boost by 2 - 3 psi, it increases it by 20% of current boost, so yes if your boost is 10psi now then you'll get a 2 psi increase.
Due to making more boost, it also starts making the boost earlier - hence the low and mid range increase.

They're made by 928 Motorsports, but you can by them locally from Tim @ Raptor SC (he's a site sponser on here).

In addition to this, you can also get upgraded bearings, impellor shaft and active air cooling which will help your PD last longer, and meaning you can run a smaller pulley, so even more boost.

As soon as I finish paying off my head, my PD will be getting sent to Tim for the works.

Mac Winter 76XB351GS has his PD fitted with it, but AFAIK he hasn't finished buuilding the engine so hasn't run it yet.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Cool. I've spoken with Tim re: impeller and active air cooling, and he's been very helpful. I'm just waiting on some prices before I buy from Raptor.

I've already got higher duty bearings from the last rebuild, so this time I'll get a better belt, impeller and active cooling. I'm just interested to hear anyone's experience with the impeller, but looks as though no one's tested it yet. I'll post up results once I've had it all fitted and computer remapped.

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

i posted the raptor prices in another thread in here the title is something like powerdyne compare raptor.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Cheers, thanks for that. Read the thread with interest previously. Impellers currently about $550, but not in stock at the moment. Hopefully worth the money.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:48 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Commodore VZ SV6

QLD, Australia

Raptor is here

List the questions, I will answer them

Raptor SC, blow your mind ..... not your wallet

Holden VZ SV6 Alloytec - 270rwkw (premium SC kit)

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Hi All - an update: I had the powerdyne rebuilt last week with the new 928/raptor impeller. Also bought bearings and a new belt from Tim @ raptor.

The belt is much stronger than the 'Gates' belts made for powerdyne blowers, and as a consequence is heaps noisier. I'm hoping it will quieten a lot over the coming weeks.

As far as the impeller goes, I haven't yet been able to determine results. My water injection hose was blowing off when we ran the car on the dyno, so we've had to leave it with retarded timing and not boost it.

I'll hopefully get the car back on dyno and tuned within next 2 weeks. I'll post up results for any who are interested in this mod for their own powerdyne units.

Joe

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Further update: Since the last dyno effort, I upgraded the water injection with a new sureflo pump and heavy duty connections/fittings. It works really well now producing a fine fog.

Put the AU on the dyno yesterday hoping to re-tune for the impeller. We used the original map, and the water injection did its job, with no detonation present. Timing is back to normal. Unfortunately had another issue, and so couldn't complete proper run up and tune.

For some reason the water was boiling in the overflow tank, causing the radiator cap to dislodge and spit water at high rpm. Strangely, the water temp guage didn't show an increase....it never does, always sits just below halfway, and just reaches halfway when driving hard. At this point the car was showing just over 200rwhp at 4200rpm and 5psi. In theory it should produce over 10psi now.

My mechanic suggested testing the radiator side of things first, and then looking at the head. I have a 1.6mm copper gasket at the moment which was not 0-ringed, and has had sealing issues before, so its possible its lifting. Plug no.4 was not in good nick like the rest as well. I can drive using boost now, but through the middle rpm, the engine makes a light 'missing' sound.

For those that are familiar with these symptoms, do you have any suggestions? What would be your approach to testing? I'm hoping its a radiator or thermostat issue, but I'm suspecting the head gasket might be the culprit unfortunately. Good advice would be appreciated!

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

Yo've done a head gasket i'd say.
And the misfire is probably quenching.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Are your spark plugs gapped?

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:53 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Yep, plugs are gapped. 0.6 or 0.8mm.....as per capa's specs for this kit. I've put 2 sets of plugs in it, just to test, in the past few months, so I don't think its the plugs themselves....I think they're just showing the symptoms. Can I get a description of quenching?

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Your water injection is coming on too early/strong and it's putting out the flame front of your spark=quenching.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Badcooky, its not to do with water injection. I've had it coming in at different boost pressures. Its set to come in at 4psi which has worked very well previously. Its also produced the same 'miss' sound with the little low pressure vdo pump, or the high pressure sureflo. Thanks for the definition though.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah but at what revs is it coming on.

BA XL ute.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next