Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Powerdyne or Vortech?
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,
I was actually tossing up ideas to spend my hard earned. I was either going to try and rebuild the 8 in my EL to have a reasonably tough N/A motor. Or spend the money on getting a supercharger setup. I was wondering if you guys have had any problems with either a Vortech or Powerdyne setup on your injected 8's. Also what other expenses have you had, like blown boxes or clutches, etc. How does the standard T5 stand up to this sort of power. Cause i've got 160k's on the clock at the moment.
Also your opinions on the Vortech or Powerdyne setups, and which one would you get? Is that extra $$$ worth the extra power from these setups?

Thanks Dave

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Put it this way...
Powerdyn is like K mart runners... Hyundai
Vortech is like Nike... FPV...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, i was tending towards the VOrtech, especially seeing as the Powerdyne's have gone up in price.
Also does anyone know if, thats the installed price, or just the kit, anbd what else you need to go with it!

Dave

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The prices from CAPA are supplied only, installation would be anywhere upto $1k I would imagine but any mechanic should be able to do it so just shop around. What I would recommend is customise the kit a bit, get rid of the FMU, 24lb injectors, T-rex fuel pump and chip and replace that with some 42lb injectors, Walbro in-tank pump and some kind of aftermarket engine management system. It will cost a bit more but you will end up with a far better result IMO.

The T5 should hold up OK, depending on how you treat it. Blowers produce their power up high so they don't stress the box too much unless flat-shifted etc. Personally forced induction is the way to go, you can go all out on a NA setup and have a lumpy idle, bad drivability etc while with a blower you cna keep the engine stock and have tons of power. I went the NA route and then added a Vortech but now wish I just did the blower to start with.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

BTW they are fairly simple to fit if you're capable of spinning a spanner or two. Maybe just get some professional help with the trickier bits (i.e. tapping oil line into sump if you go down the vortech route).

Been using a powerdyne for about 6 months now (only went for the PD because i was keen to fit it myself... i.e. learn to walk before run..). Car seems to be enjoying it, no problems yet. Some signs of excessive tyre wear... if you've got the extra $$$ for the fuel system, go the vortech for sure.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cheers guys,
I will probably go down the Vortech route, cause i have a few mates that are pretty good with cars. I was actually talking with one of them and he was saying, that he can weld and make up a bracket for the blower, and he could do all the plumbing for quite easily. Then buy the blower new for about 3k or search for the exact same one from the states and get it shipped over for probably a lot less than buying one here in oz. Then get all the associated parts i will need, such as fuel pumps, injectors and so on. So i could probably get it done a pretty reasonable price.
Although i'm not too sure exactly what i would need to get on top of buying the blower.
I know my mate is pretty adept with cars and plumbing or the sorts, just wondering what else i would need to get it up and running?

Thanks Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 6 images

WA, Australia

The vortech for sure..

Ford.... POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Yeah you could piece the kit together yourself, just make sure the bracket is very strong. CAPA use around 14mm plate for the bracket as apparently some of the thinner ones would flex. Only other thing you need is the pulley system. THe CAPA ones are about $800 which is rich for what they are but at least they are billet aluminium, trying to make anything else up would be too difficult I would imagine.

But once the brackets and puley system is there there isn't much else to do, just run the pluming, get a decent fuel system and MAF, then tune the thing.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys,
I didn't think it would be all that hard myself, but i was still after some other opinions, not just my mates (even though he knows a bit.)
If I end up doing this in the near future, i'l let you guys know how it goes and how much it costs!
Thanks for your help.

Dave

Also, If i get a new MAF, i'm probably guessing it would be a good idea to get a throttle body as well? Fuel system as in: injectors and pump?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Put it this way...
Powerdyn is like K mart runners... Hyundai
Vortech is like Nike... FPV...

Very well said

The Hyundai will get you around, but you can spend a bit more and an FPV will get you there quicker.

Depends how much power you want to make vs how much money you want to spend.
Me personally I would go the Vortech as it has much more power potential.

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]