POWERDYNE super charger question for I6 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: POWERDYNE super charger question for I6
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

anyone with a cappa powerdyne kit or supercharger how does the car cruize on the highway does it use more fuel?

what sorta power delivery do they have is it from low to mid or is there stuff all down low.

if anyone has a dyno chart with torque figures would be very helpfull

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hey mate. Well ive got it on the 5.0L but i imagine would be similar to the I6, both fairly torquey motors.

Highway cruising it probably gets better mileage than stock but not really noticeable. Certianly no worse. I think i sit on about 6-8L/100km cruising at 100km/hr.

The boost doesnt really come on untill 2750-3000rpm (which is when she really takes off), but that doesnt necissarily mean the power delivery isnt present below these revs. Even from the word go, air is being pushed into the engine.. just not enough to register noticeable amounts of boost. On the windsor, the power really comes on in the midrange (which makes it an incredibly good daily driver) - the standard heads/intake arent very good for high RPM - im not sure what the 6 is like.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Post subject: Re: POWERDYNE super charger question for I6
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

sickd wrote:
anyone with a cappa powerdyne kit or supercharger how does the car cruize on the highway does it use more fuel?

what sorta power delivery do they have is it from low to mid or is there stuff all down low.

if anyone has a dyno chart with torque figures would be very helpfull

dyno charts are available on their website (capa's)

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well this aint the best example for you... but for what it's worth....

I dont have the "money shot" for upload - the second graph was just after fitting the blower and the MAF was incorrectly measureing air. Hence the a/f ratio dropping below 10.1:1.... but gives you an idea of the torque.

Stock:

With blower but tuned like s**t (my impersonation of ayers rock):

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for that mate so whats the output on you car it has to be more than 116kw doesnt it

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

sickd wrote:
thanks for that mate so whats the output on you car it has to be more than 116kw doesnt it

The 2nd one is after the blower install which looks close to 155rwkw. Not a great initial result but after sorting out the initial problems I am sure its a fair bit more now, but yeah lovely torque curve!

On an I6, the powerdyne blowers seem to get around the 170rwkw, which is similar to some of the NA kits out there but the blower would have tons more torque. My friend has a powerdyne ED XR8 producing 180rwkw and it feels awesome on the road.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

just a general question.

if you can produce around the same kw from a powerdyne or a NA engine, would the blower be the better option? or all the block and heard work etc, to get it narurally aspired? which would be better option

2nd, with the capa kits, say the 6-9 psi boost kits, can the stock internals handle this kinds boost? or do u need rebuilds?

3rd (last) the ecu cant handle this boost right? so u need aftermarket/? they included in kits?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Even with the same power levels I would go forced induction because IMO it gives much more low down and useable torque, there really isn't anything like driving a blowen / turbo engine.

6-9psi is fine on stock internals, no other mods are really needed to fit these blowers except a decent exhaust which isn't needed but highly recommended. Same with the EEC, the stock EEC is fine with the blowers, usually only needing a chip (which comes in the kit) to remove some timing under boost and to adjust the AF ratios. If you want a better tune you can opt for a Unichip or an aftermarket system, but on a stock engine the chip is fine IMO.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Exactly N/A power is often at or nr top rpm..Blower's have power under cam [ 1500 to 4000] range.Compared to n/a...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

perfect guys all good info its good to talk to someone who has done this and can give pointers and info on what to expect thanks for your help.

if anyone has more stuff to say go ahead its all usefull stuff

:D

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

I've been looking at SC's for the I6 for a while now. I'll be going the Vortec route rather than powerdyne. The V2 looks like the ducks guts and has plenty of room to grow.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Casper wrote:
I've been looking at SC's for the I6 for a while now. I'll be going the Vortec route rather than powerdyne. The V2 looks like the ducks guts and has plenty of room to grow.

Yeah exactly, I went for the Vortech V2 with mine for reliability and future upgrades. The Powerdynes are still good for street cars but they aren't the strongest units with their internal belt setup. If your budget can stretch to the Vortech I would highly recomend it.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Casper wrote:

Yeah exactly, I went for the Vortech V2 with mine for reliability and future upgrades. The Powerdynes are still good for street cars but they aren't the strongest units with their internal belt setup. If your budget can stretch to the Vortech I would highly recomend it.

The other option is the Vortec S Trim. Either way, the Vortec is, by all accounts, the superior SCer from what I've been able to find. So much so that I will not consider a Powerdyne now, even if its cheap. A rebuild every 15-20,000kms isnt that appealing to me....and that seems to be a common theme.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Casper wrote:
The other option is the Vortec S Trim. Either way, the Vortec is, by all accounts, the superior SCer from what I've been able to find. So much so that I will not consider a Powerdyne now, even if its cheap. A rebuild every 15-20,000kms isnt that appealing to me....and that seems to be a common theme.

Yeah if the powerdynes are treated badly it is not uncommon to rebuild them ever year or so, although the ones from CAPA are now much better than they use to be as they manufacture and install new bearings and a better belt in theirs. Having said that one of my friends has been running one fairly hard for almost 100,000kms and it is still ok (although I am sure it is getting pretty worn now).

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Casper wrote:

Yeah if the powerdynes are treated badly it is not uncommon to rebuild them ever year or so, although the ones from CAPA are now much better than they use to be as they manufacture and install new bearings and a better belt in theirs. Having said that one of my friends has been running one fairly hard for almost 100,000kms and it is still ok (although I am sure it is getting pretty worn now).

Yeah, sound advice guys.

From what ive been reading on the stang forums (quite a bit lately...) the poofterdyne is very well suited to automatic cars which arent driven like race cars (like mine....). It's the rapid changing of revs, hard on/off throttle (more associated with a manual trans getting flogged) which puts massive amounts of load on the internal belt of the powerdyne.

A lot of the complaints in the US have also arisen from ppl squeezing 10psi+ from the powerdyne which is well in excess of the 39,000rpm internal drive limit of the blower (read about one guy with a 347ci @ 15psi and wondered why the PD s**t itslef... :roll: ). Although i dont think their suppliers are as open/honest/helpful as CAPA are here in Australia.

In the even of failure in mine I think I might try a Powerdyne XB model, identical shaped blower (i.e. will fit into my existing bracket) but with vortech-style gear drive.... although these units are reportedly very very noisy, might wait for the salary to increase so can afford to pay all the defects. Fitting a PD was also more inline with my mechanical abilities...

In summary... get a vortech, lol. Powerdyne lots of fun for me, but i'm easy to please.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next