sc14 into a EL falcon 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: sc14 into a EL falcon
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a mint EL fairmont Ghia for a daily drive. I do not want to spend big big dollars on it as I have just too many other projects which will just never get done.

I will do the following mods to it however, LSd 3.45 gears. extractors, and full exhaust system.

Currently the car is running duel fuel, and I intend on keeping it that way, however due to having all other turbo or V8 cars, I would like to wake up the El a bit. ( I dont want to be spending heap on fuel, and getting cops hassles either.

So I came across the following add on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SC14-Ford-Ho ... 58930de6be

Now I am well aware this supercharger would run out of puff for the 4ltr motor. However I would be keen to know what sort of power it can make on an EL engine? I only plan on running around 3-4psi. And can run water injection to help with the cooling side of things

And the biggest reason I am leaning this way is because I can retain the clutch operation on the unit and swtich it on and off as required.

This way I only use it when I feel like going fast, and my fuel economy wont suffer eitther.
With the mods mentioned above and the supercharger if I could make around 150rwk I would be stoked.

I am well aware if I want decent power I would be taking the snort performance route.

Also does anyone know who built that kit and the cost associtated with it?

Post subject: Re: sc14 into a EL falcon
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a mint EL fairmont Ghia for a daily drive. I do not want to spend big big dollars on it as I have just too many other projects which will just never get done.

I will do the following mods to it however, LSd 3.45 gears. extractors, and full exhaust system.

Currently the car is running duel fuel, and I intend on keeping it that way, however due to having all other turbo or V8 cars, I would like to wake up the El a bit. ( I dont want to be spending heap on fuel, and getting cops hassles either.

So I came across the following add on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SC14-Ford-Ho ... 58930de6be

Now I am well aware this supercharger would run out of puff for the 4ltr motor. However I would be keen to know what sort of power it can make on an EL engine? I only plan on running around 3-4psi. And can run water injection to help with the cooling side of things

And the biggest reason I am leaning this way is because I can retain the clutch operation on the unit and swtich it on and off as required.

This way I only use it when I feel like going fast, and my fuel economy wont suffer eitther.
With the mods mentioned above and the supercharger if I could make around 150rwk I would be stoked.

I am well aware if I want decent power I would be taking the snort performance route.

Also does anyone know who built that kit and the cost associtated with it?

You can get 140-150rwkw without adding the supercharger. For the price of the supercharger, getting a new belt, plumbing etc you can get yourself a regrind cam, shims, adjustable cam gear and put that into the engine. Coppers won't notice it when you open up the bonnet...unlike the supercharger. Can upgrade the intake if need be to get the extra oomph and a J3 chip if you really want to.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i would say 160-180rwkw max..

if your happy with 150rwkw. just change the cam and do a few intake and exhaust mods this will get you close to the 150rwkw...

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Fair enough. The only thing I really liked about the whole supercharger idea is that I can turn it on and off.
So if I dont boot it my fuel economy shouldnt suffer either, whereas with the cam etc I should see a slight decrease in fuel economy.

I know its not going to be huge but I have 5 other cars I am modding right now (all are either turbo or V8) and just the rego and insurance alone is a killer so I just want a neat daily with some decent omph.

I am even considering putting a au v8 instead.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Fair enough. The only thing I really liked about the whole supercharger idea is that I can turn it on and off.
So if I dont boot it my fuel economy shouldnt suffer either, whereas with the cam etc I should see a slight decrease in fuel economy.

I know its not going to be huge but I have 5 other cars I am modding right now (all are either turbo or V8) and just the rego and insurance alone is a killer so I just want a neat daily with some decent omph.

I am even considering putting a au v8 instead.

Even with just a cam and intake upgrade, you won't see much difference in fuel economy. My original motor, a standard I6, was using 13-14L/100km or so for 50/50 metro/highway. All highway it was using about 9L/100km...mind you this engine had been looked after with sensors changed. Current XR6 engine with the mods in my sig, sees same fuel economy for 50/50 metro/highway while highway dropped to an excellent 6-7L/100km.

So putting a cam in won't necessarily mean you will spend more fuel...if it's done right, you can actually see better economy. This will obviously go through the roof if you drive it like you stole it all the time.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your help phongus. If you dont mind me asking how much did all youe mods set you back?

And to be honest I have a bit of a heavy foot! If I have the power there, I will definately use it lol

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Thanks for your help phongus. If you dont mind me asking how much did all youe mods set you back?

And to be honest I have a bit of a heavy foot! If I have the power there, I will definately use it lol

I'm not sure on exact figures, but maybe $700-800? That's J3 chip (pre-programmed with programmer...$225 or something), Wade 1673 camshaft (can't remember...$150? exchange basis), adjustable cam gear (~$200) and HLA shims ($0-$150...pending where you get them from).

Not including exhaust and intake pricing. Intake I bought second hand from a member on here while exhaust, well you already have.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that mate. Definately some food for thought there. Where did you get most of the work done?

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check final drive ?? 3:45 to 3:9 would give you punchy throttle response
with mild cam, good exhaust..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Thanks for that mate. Definately some food for thought there. Where did you get most of the work done?

Home job...bought the parts and put it together myself. I was lucky to have the XR6 engine as a learning/experimental/project engine...turned out okay for a first timer :)

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon / XG Panelvan

also SC14 are designed for a 2L Toyota motor, so it really isn't worth the effort.

Brad

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

My old el fairmont. Ran a sc14 side mount. Kit was sold by CHIPMASTER back in early 2000 way before raptor etc. ran slightly modified internals to a standard 1.4L Toyota charger ( i.e higher volume)

In short it went really well :)

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:26 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

so is there any power loss when the clutch is disengaged on the Supercharger compared to stock. and how will this run at around 5psi on stock driveline, possibly will be on a tickford engine

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL FAIRMONT

WA, Australia

Mine never had the option to disengage the pulley clutch like an mr2 etc, they have an in cabin switch from memory. In theory if it did have a switch in place for the clutch the engine would be operating without boost as the pulley is not engaging which in turn generates boost.it would in theory run as normaly as an a N/A engine, but you have to remember that you would have built and tuned your engine to take boost like I did and as result without boost it would most likely run rich without the extra boost. Either way in all honesty this is an outdated setup, and I would advise against it.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

not if i had a j3 with two tunes that i could set up to auto switch over :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next