Fordmods Logo

sc14 on au e-gas engine 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Actually, you can probably disregard my post.... been searching the net for the past several hours and it seems even an M90 doesn't have the boost to make a big diff to a 4lt... (unless I find the jag one)

Here is a qoute from the below article about the jag sc.

Quote:
The first is the Eaton M90 installed in the 1990 XJ-R (the same supercharger as fitted to the Holden V6). With the M90 hung off the side of the 4.0-litre AJ16 straight-six, it puts out 240kW at 5000 rpm and 512Nm at 3050 rpm. In this application, the blower is spun to a maximum of 13,750 rpm thanks to a 2.5:1 drive ratio. Boost pressure reaches 10.5 psi and a water-to-air intercooler is installed to chill the charge-temp.

Note its a 4lt i6 engine that does 240kw... thats not bad at all... doubt they are all that common or cheap though....

For anyone looking for info on oem sc blowers, I found this:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2147/article.html

part2

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2149/article.html

interesting if disappointing reading.

On the other hand,, if we swap to the V6 3.8 ford in future, one of the sc14s might be workable... just..

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

You seem a bit lost there frankieh... the Jag M90 is the same as the Holden V6 M90, except for the drive ratio and therefore boost level. You just need to get one with the pulley that gives the drive ratio for the boost level you want, or have a pulley changed to suit (not hard, but needs a special tool).

The Jag engine also gives you a better base to start with than the Holden engine. No pushrods to erode top-end power, more valve area (not sure, but I think it's DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder).

Don't be fazed by the price Jaguar charge for the blower... they start at $780 new on ebay and 2nd hand units are cheaper still. You might spend a few hundred on a pulley change and shorter snout to suit the I6.

Fabricate your own brackets and piping & with a decent exhaust you'll have a cheap upgrade to around 160rwkw, maybe 230-240 at the flywheel. And before anyone sneers that 160rwkw isn't worth getting out of bed for, remember that a stock EL peaks at around 100rwkw. A 60% improvement for $2-3,000 is very worthwhile. You can spend similar on a cam, headers/zorst and tune and still only pick up 20-30%.

If the price is right, go for it.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sly wrote:
You seem a bit lost there frankieh... the Jag M90 is the same as the Holden V6 M90, except for the drive ratio and therefore boost level. You just need to get one with the pulley that gives the drive ratio for the boost level you want, or have a pulley changed to suit (not hard, but needs a special tool).

The Jag engine also gives you a better base to start with than the Holden engine. No pushrods to erode top-end power, more valve area (not sure, but I think it's DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder).

Don't be fazed by the price Jaguar charge for the blower... they start at $780 new on ebay and 2nd hand units are cheaper still. You might spend a few hundred on a pulley change and shorter snout to suit the I6.

Fabricate your own brackets and piping & with a decent exhaust you'll have a cheap upgrade to around 160rwkw, maybe 230-240 at the flywheel. And before anyone sneers that 160rwkw isn't worth getting out of bed for, remember that a stock EL peaks at around 100rwkw. A 60% improvement for $2-3,000 is very worthwhile. You can spend similar on a cam, headers/zorst and tune and still only pick up 20-30%.

If the price is right, go for it.
Cool, but the Holden V6 version was setup to sit in the V of a V6, the Jag one is already setup to go on the side of a straight 6.. I imagine that would make things much easier.

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

The head units are still the same apart from snout/pulley. Mounting in the V is taken care of by the intake manifold/plenum. Most I6 mountings are set up to dump from the blower into an adapter to a round intake pipe. But the bottom flange of the blower is the same either way.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

http://www.rodshop.com.au/superchargerholdv6.htm

just a bit of info on the sc14 and the 3.8 v6.

A eaton m90 would be a near on perfect size for the 4ltr.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

had a look and have never seen any M90 jag blowers for $780 on ebay..

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
had a look and have never seen any M90 jag blowers for $780 on ebay..

Are you trolling or what?

How many times do I have to say it? An M90 is an M90 is an M90. The M90 head unit off a Jag XJ16 XJR is the same as the M90 off the Holden V6, apart from the snout and pulley which can be changed. There are plenty of places in the US where you can buy snouts & pulleys over the 'net way cheaper then CAPA's prices.

Put it this way, if you took the head unit off the Holden V6 and left the blower manifold on the engine, you could bolt the M90 off a Jag straight up to the manifold. Same if you took the head unit off the Jag and left the brackets and piping in place, the head unit off the Holden would bolt up to the brackets and piping. Either one would bolt up to appropriate brackets and piping (or custom manifold) on a Falcon 6.

It's like buying a 3" metal core cat. The exhaust shop won't have an individually-designed unit for every car on the market. There might be 3 choices: round, oval straight-through and oval offset. You buy the one that's the closest fit and they make up custom joins to mate it up to your exhaust.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Isn't there anyone on the list that has done it?

I must admit, I'm surprised its not a more common mod.. Cheaper than putting in a Turbo really and while not quite as good for horses,, usually less lag...

seems strange to me that you don't hear about it more often.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

sly wrote:
To get 10psi you'd need to spin it 3.4 times crank speed, 17,000rpm at a 5000rpm redline, 18,700 @ 5500rpm. Thankfully they're cheap.

Get 2 SC14's....airflow problem solved...have fun fitting them though....

8-) Daz :evil:

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

LOL, yeah, I could actually get two.. but I'm having enough trouble figuring out where to put one of them..

I am going to have to lose my air con?

I have found an M90, but would love to see one hooked to an I6 so I can see where they put it.. rather not lose air con if I can avoid it..

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
LOL, yeah, I could actually get two.. but I'm having enough trouble figuring out where to put one of them..

I have found an M90, but would love to see one hooked to an I6 so I can see where they put it.. rather not lose air con if I can avoid it..

I though of putting an m90 on my I6, right where the a/c pump is, as mine is just there to take up the slack in the belt. I would mount it upside down over the rocker cover for the "big f**k off" value.

Make an adaptor plate for the bbm manifold, throttle body would nearly be in the exact spot. Prolly have to change the blower pulley to a slightly smaller one to run off the original belt. Would look the goods on the bbm that's for sure.

Cheers

Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:

Search for posts by xfpaul. He has an M90 on an NC Fairlane I6 & has posted pics up.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

found them.. excellent.. shame I'll have to lose the BBM when the time comes...

the XH ute had an EL motor with log manifold didn't it?
SO I could get a XH computer to give me the updated maps and still have the log manifold? Then I guess put a chip in it with revised rates..

any thoughts?

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

been giving this some thought.. I have my EA log manifold here.. I might use that with the blower.. and follow the route of XFpaul...

But first to setup EL motor with BBM and ECU.. so I can put it back if I ever decided to sell car without the blower.

didn't one of the utes (XH?) have a log manifold on an EL motor? That would make it the ECU to start with for the blower mod..and then get it chipped..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2