Fordmods Logo

Snort Turbo kits wats the general feeling!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Another happy snort customer here. I've got a stage three kit and the install was a peice of cake. I made my own intercooler piping from a $200 universal intercooler kit off ebay. It only took a couple of hours to fit and is much easier than it might appear.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Do they still have a website?

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

www.snortperformance.com

I havent bought anything from Snort but wouldnt hesitate to do so in the future.

I have sent Geoffrey heaps of emails and he is always eager to help with my enquiries.

If I go for a bigger setup in the future I will go through him.

His earlier kits had teething issues but from what I have seen on this forum and some others he was keen to help fix the issues and get the kits running nicely. He after sales support seems awesome on all accounts.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

this is a letter i IM to some people who asked a couple of months ago

1st manifold didnt even go close to fitting. holes didnt line up and wastegate didnt clear engine mount by about 3/4 on an inch

2nd manifold holes didnt line up ( i mean like not even close ) ....it had 2 cracks....pipes from cylinders 3 and 4 sat about 5mm off the block... mandifold didnt clear water pipe that runs down the side of the engine, 4 out of 6 pipes hit this water pipe ( required a modified water pipe ).

inside the manifold was very untidy. had hardly been grinded at all, i did most of that myself. the engine side and turbo side had not been mild properly. you could place a straight edge on the surface and see it wasnt flat.
wastegate very hard to get to. sits jammed up between the engine and gearbox. not in the same spot as the pictures posted on the website.

screamer pipe pointed straight that the gearbox

wastegate spring set at 13psi not the 8 psi i was told or asked for ( found this out last saturday on the dyno)

turbo sit very close the the engine....like u can only JUST get number 3 and 4 spark plug out

oil fitting on to of turbo to small. like to high enough to clear the front of the turbo to tighten it up properly. Have to loosen the front of the turbo off 1st then tighten fitting then tighten the front of the turbo back up

dump pipe pointed straight at steering rack. had to cut it and about 3 1/2 inches to get it to clear steering rack and had to add o2 sensor bung which was apperently ment to be included, the screamer pipe was ment to be already joined to the dump pipe and wasnt.
ended up making our own screamer pipe just to get it to go away from the gearbox and twist around it to get to the dump pipe

i was told the standard head gasket would hold 8psi ( was going to ( and now hav) put a shim in it but this was ment to b ok for me to drive until i could get the shim done.)

i was told i could use the standard injectors and ecu by useing their 12:1 fuel pressure regulator....this was not the case.the fuel pump had no chance. the injectors had no chance...the ecu couldnt handle a thing..and the fuel pressure regulator did not work at all.( another faulty component)...had better success with the stardard 1 ( found this out on sat on the dyno to). Decided to buy my own instead of f**k around tryin to get ahold of geoff and listen to aother excuse then hav to spend the time sending it back and wait 4 him to send another with no garuntee a new 1 was gonna work

1 other thing that really p****d me off. is he never answers his fone. i was sick of hearing his voice mall and his wife telling me hes at the work shop she'll get him to call me back , and never dose.

honestly if i didnt hav a good mechinic and mate to help me through alot of it and do alot of the custom work i would have been on his door step askin for my money long ago.

so u know its and EL XR6

wot ever u wanna do its up to u ...and good luck with it but be carefull aye people shouldnt hav to do so much more work and fix so many problems and be told s**t when purchasing kits like these.

good luck champ.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i hav recently found out that the wastegate was second hand....when we pulled it apart to fit the new 8psi we foud that the wastegate had been cracked on the inside and had tried to b bodged up with a weld... the weld was very un tidy and did not allow the wasegate to open properly.

mind u everything is just gettin sorted out now...,made 260rwkw at 10psi with no intercooler....so should b even better when i get the intercooler plumbed up.

i dont mind wot u guys do..i wish u the best of luck .
but thats the problems iv had.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

When did you first get all the parts? Like when did you buy all this from snort?

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

I'm thinking this must have been an old kit. My manifold was perfect. I received the wrong oil drain line but once I notified Geoff it was in the mail straight away. I was amazed as everything fitted like a glove.

The kit took a while to fit because I was stuffing around doing a bit here and there. All up probably less than six hours solid work. I didn't have to customise anything that came with the kit. It all just bolted up.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

260rwkw on 10psi is bloody good. did it have a cam?

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i recived the kit towards the end on january this year.

he told me i would get around 200rwkw and i was happy with that. i just wanted sumthing no to expensive but give me a bit extra go
just the standard xr cam....i never intened on changing cams or valve springs...ecu injectors fuel pump, thats y i bought that kit coz i was told i didnt have to change neof that stuff. In the end i had to to get it to run right.

made 261 point sumthing rwkw at 10 psi...that was at 4800 ...but remember i only wanted to run 8psi....so that power will probly go down a lil then when i get the intercooler plumbed up it should go up bit.id b pretty happpy with round 250.

just gettin the ecu tuned to make it a bit richer when its cold coz atm when its cold its really lean...then ill b able to trek down to syd to pick it up

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

mabe he thought he could give me any old s**t just coa im a young guy.

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

i think its now time for the story from snort performance regarding this guys kit

this guy purchased a stage 2 kit!!!,, when we shipped out the system he was sent out a kit not suited for the ef/el but the ea-ed model ( our mistake ) this is the reason the manifold didnt fit,,,

we then offered not only to fix the manifold but upgrade it to our stage 3 at no charge as we have done before ,,, the customer was told that the dump pipe and screamer pipe would need adjusting to suit the new manifold as they where built for the stage 2 system,,, which he then agreed

more contact from the customer regarding the manifold the headplate not being surfaced correctly and problems with fitment??????????????????

we offered to fit the kit ( free of charge ) if he could arrange to bring the car to us which was rejected as distance was a problem
again we offered compansation just with the word of the customer which was again rejected !!

then more contact from the customer , the turbo is NOW fitted ( without intercooler, boost guage, checking correct fuel mixtures ) and has blown his head gasket!!!, suggested to customer to fit intercooler, boost guage, check fuel mixtures before running boost into the engine again!!,

contact again from customer , the blow off valve was leaking on boost because in there wisdom they cut the spring , we then shipped out yet another b.o.v at no charge for the customer!!

contact again from the customer ,, all is fitted and running but the car wont handle boost , revised correct fitting of fuel pressure regulator and fuel system

we asked have you had the car on the dyno to check fuel mixtures ( no )
how much boost are you running ( dont no )
then advised customer that in some RARE cases the standard fuel pump will fail under the extra pressure needed , have the pump tested and replaced if this was the problem
we also advised that also in some cases the fuel injectors required cleaning as blocked injectors wont flow enough to supply the fuel required
also again suggested fitting boost guage to check correct boost pressure

we have replacement springs in stock for this reason to suit almost any boost pressure , which the customer was told!, as at times the gates have been shipped out with the wrong spring set ( from factory )

with regards to the standard ecu there are many cars both here and fordforums running turbo ( low boost ) with 180-200rwkw all day!!, no it wont handle boost over 9psi, and if you dont have the correct fuel mixtures then you can be sure it will only result in poor performance, blown head gaskets, and engine failure
we never suggest fitting your turbo system in the way you have,,, some of the problems are shared by us , but not all

although you have had many problems with your install , the power levels you have are just fantastic with only 10psi and our stage 2 hardware
there are many guys running gt35/40r without that power ( considering the price alone for these is almost what you paid for the entire kit )

like any SMALL buisness we have problems to resolve and fix, we try in all cases to ensure our custmers are happy , this isnt always possible as can be seen here,

if you have any problems with your hardware then we fix it or replace it if found to be defective, in most cases we upgrade the systems !!

260rwkw 10psi yep thats s**t alright

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

bond007 wrote:
i think its now time for the story from snort performance regarding this guys kit

this guy purchased a stage 2 kit!!!,, when we shipped out the system he was sent out a kit not suited for the ef/el but the ea-ed model ( our mistake ) this is the reason the manifold didnt fit,,,

we then offered not only to fix the manifold but upgrade it to our stage 3 at no charge as we have done before ,,, the customer was told that the dump pipe and screamer pipe would need adjusting to suit the new manifold as they where built for the stage 2 system,,, which he then agreed

more contact from the customer regarding the manifold the headplate not being surfaced correctly and problems with fitment??????????????????

we offered to fit the kit ( free of charge ) if he could arrange to bring the car to us which was rejected as distance was a problem
again we offered compansation just with the word of the customer which was again rejected !!

then more contact from the customer , the turbo is NOW fitted ( without intercooler, boost guage, checking correct fuel mixtures ) and has blown his head gasket!!!, suggested to customer to fit intercooler, boost guage, check fuel mixtures before running boost into the engine again!!,

contact again from customer , the blow off valve was leaking on boost because in there wisdom they cut the spring , we then shipped out yet another b.o.v at no charge for the customer!!

contact again from the customer ,, all is fitted and running but the car wont handle boost , revised correct fitting of fuel pressure regulator and fuel system

we asked have you had the car on the dyno to check fuel mixtures ( no )
how much boost are you running ( dont no )
then advised customer that in some RARE cases the standard fuel pump will fail under the extra pressure needed , have the pump tested and replaced if this was the problem
we also advised that also in some cases the fuel injectors required cleaning as blocked injectors wont flow enough to supply the fuel required
also again suggested fitting boost guage to check correct boost pressure

we have replacement springs in stock for this reason to suit almost any boost pressure , which the customer was told!, as at times the gates have been shipped out with the wrong spring set ( from factory )

with regards to the standard ecu there are many cars both here and fordforums running turbo ( low boost ) with 180-200rwkw all day!!, no it wont handle boost over 9psi, and if you dont have the correct fuel mixtures then you can be sure it will only result in poor performance, blown head gaskets, and engine failure
we never suggest fitting your turbo system in the way you have,,, some of the problems are shared by us , but not all

although you have had many problems with your install , the power levels you have are just fantastic with only 10psi and our stage 2 hardware
there are many guys running gt35/40r without that power ( considering the price alone for these is almost what you paid for the entire kit )

like any SMALL buisness we have problems to resolve and fix, we try in all cases to ensure our custmers are happy , this isnt always possible as can be seen here,

if you have any problems with your hardware then we fix it or replace it if found to be defective, in most cases we upgrade the systems !!

260rwkw 10psi yep thats s**t alright
jeez thats a bloody good comeback! i know where i will be looking when wanting to upgrade to turbo!.... :wink: ...

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

“the customer was told that the dump pipe and screamer pipe would need adjusting to suit the new manifold as they where built for the stage 2 system,,, which he then agreedâ€￾
The dump pipe was in the exact same place as the stage 3 manifold the and what happened to the O2 sensor bung that was ment to be included in the 1st manifold and wasnt.

“again we offered compansation just with the word of the customer which was again rejected !!â€￾
The car was pulled down and half finished. Would have been stupid to go back now after the time and money invested

“then more contact from the customer , the turbo is NOW fitted ( without intercooler, boost guage, checking correct fuel mixtures ) and has blown his head gasket!!!, suggested to customer to fit intercooler, boost guage, check fuel mixtures before running boost into the engine again!!,â€￾
It blew a head gasket because a mechanic I got to adjust the timing got happy with his right foot. And gave it a boot full before I had installed the acl decompression plate. Also fitted boost gauge while fix head gasket

“contact again from customer , the blow off valve was leaking on boost because in there wisdom they cut the spring , we then shipped out yet another b.o.v at no charge for the customer!!â€￾
Yeah I f**k up, turned out it wasn’t leaking in the end even with the cut spring. You sent me a bov u can buy from repco for $129 and I DIDNT send you the $250 bill to get the manifold milled properly

“contact again from the customer ,, all is fitted and running but the car wont handle boost , revised correct fitting of fuel pressure regulator and fuel systemâ€￾
The fuel regulator was later sent away to be tested to find that it did not work. it was faulty

“we asked have you had the car on the dyno to check fuel mixtures ( no )â€￾
Car actually went to the dyno 6 days after this. You could tell it was lean as any way

“we also advised that also in some cases the fuel injectors required cleaning as blocked injectors wont flow enough to supply the fuel requiredâ€￾
Injectors were in good nick. Got them cleaned etc anyway

“we have replacement springs in stock for this reason to suit almost any boost pressure , which the customer was told!, as at times the gates have been shipped out with the wrong spring set ( from factory )â€￾

You said oh um oo ahh they are a bit hard to get ahold of for that brand of gate. Found 1 myself in the end. To find that those gates come with a stock pressure of 11.7psi

“although you have had many problems with your install , the power levels you have are just fantastic with only 10psi and our stage 2 hardware
there are many guys running gt35/40r without that power ( considering the price alone for these is almost what you paid for the entire kit )â€￾

Iv paid for a lot more than just the kit

“like any SMALL buisness we have problems to resolve and fix, we try in all cases to ensure our custmers are happy , this isnt always possible as can be seen here,â€￾
Would have been nice if had answered your fone every once in a while. With that alone I could tell I was pushing s**t up hill.

“260rwkw 10psi yep thats s**t alrightâ€￾
If you read my post you’ll see that I wrote Im happy with the power

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ok I reckon that's enough.. we've heard both sides.. no need to argue anymore cos the thread will be wasted.
Thanks to everyone for their input though :)

I am definetly interested in a turbo conversion now

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

Power: 320 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If it means anything I got a snort kit for an el last december or so.
Fit well, no real issues, Poor tuning melted a cat which hurt the turbo, and as everyone else has said Geoff was very helpfull and fixed it no charge, has been on the car for nearly 12 months now, no hassles at all,280 rw kw at 12 psi with a 3500 hi stall

BA Ghia 320 rwkw @ FordMods dyno day
Ford Capri nat asp 9.7 @ 140 mph
Other car 580 hp @ wheels now 624.7 hp !!

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

I have a snort manifold, and it is built very well. My boss bought it a LONG time ago around the time when snort was just starting up I believe. He required a T04 flanged log manifold, and ordered one, but was sent a manifold with a T3 flange, and also the wastegate didn't fit correctly (not bought through Snort). No worries though, because Geoff being a good bloke sent him another one to replace it with, but the new one was polished as well at no extra charge! However it was the wrong flange also (T3) haha, but we kept it and fabricated an adapter plate.

It is a well built manifold in my opinion, welds are pretty clean and it's nice and shiny too! Fitment is good also.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2