superchargers 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: superchargers
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

A mate of mines got a 4.1 injected crossflow he wants to build. I was going down the line of turbo until he found out how much it was going to cost. He then found out about these little jap chargers that come on the toyota 6's. He rang castlemaine rod shop bout an efi version but they haven't come up with it yet.
What he wants to do is use one of these on a stock engine with extractors. He has about $3000 to spend. He users the car for towing his boat which is why he wants the extra power.
Do you guys think its a good or bad idea?

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Personally I don't like those small jap superchargers, they were designed for small engines and relativly low boost. The kits normally overdrive them to create decent boost on the big aussie engines and that just leads to bearing failure.

A full turbo setup does cost a lot of money but you can still do a budget turbo system which will produce far more power than the toyota blowers. Look for a basic cheap turbo manifold or you can even use the stock manifold with a 'U' bend and mount the turbo on that. Not the best flowing manifold but still plenty for a basic kit. Run a T3 or similar turbo, I like the T3's because they are cheap and internally wastegated so saves you more money. Again they aren't ideal turbos because they are fairly small but again plenty for a basic setup. On low boost you don't need an intercooler or major fuel/ignition system changes either.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 95 XG S Ute

VIC, Australia

Check out the blue XF ute on autospeed that is running two of those Toyota superchargers (it's the blue ute on www.twinlight.com.au)

Homer! What have you done to the car? I don't think it had broken axles before.

Before! Before! You're living in the past, Marge. Quit living in the past.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]