Fordmods Logo

supercharging i6 

Page 2 of 8 [ 110 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

xavier wrote:
i dont think the turbo will necisarily be cheaper, raptor and powerdyne are pretty much bolt on kits for around 5 gs that will run on standard ecu with a chip and generic tune, from what i can gather a decent turbo setup will cost you around 8g's

CAPAs kits include everything you need. You just open the box, put them on and it'll go. It's not necesarily the best but.

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Thats if you get all the parts sent out correctly on the first time, there are ways of doing it you definatly can do it cheaper than capa. But if you would like something that drops right in than a kit would suit you more.

Brad

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
Thats if you get all the parts sent out correctly on the first time, there are ways of doing it you definatly can do it cheaper than capa. But if you would like something that drops right in than a kit would suit you more.

Brad

Hey mate,

Was considering a Raptor V for my EL XR6 ...how does yours go?

Is yours intercooled?

Have you got any install pics / power figures?

Cheers.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Seems everyone prefers turbo, but I don't have the time/money to be screwing around with stuff I don't know too much about. Superchargers seem like an easier option. What sort of power difference do you think there would be between a powerdyne kit and a basic turbo setup. What would the cost difference be?

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Turbo = $10-$12,000 for a decent set-up ...power will be limited by what your driveline can handle ...manual T5's can handle 250 rwkw safely, as long as the Torque produced is not excessive. Autos can handle more. Turbo is also a lot more involved with the install ...and underbonnet temps will be higher.

Supercharger = $5-$6,000 for a bolt-on kit. Easier to fit ...and power safely within the 200-250 rwkw mark ...with less underbonnet heat.

Superchargers are supposed to give you power proportional to engine speed, while Turbos have to spool up = lag.

That said, most supercharger kits are of the Centrifugal blower design = power in mid-range to high rpms, while PD type blowers (whipples, Eatons etc) make their power in the low-mid range rpms.

Turbos will always have the biggest power potential (as long as you're prepared for internal rebuilds, new gearboxes etc) ...it all boils down to what you are ultimately after in your car.

Supercharger = Inexpensive, good power, easy to install and get running, keep your N/A mods, reliability.

Turbo = More exxy, huge power potential if extra $'s spent, more to install and get running, more potential reliability problems.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I might go with supercharger on my next car then. I don't need mass amounts of power - just want to be quick off the mark and able to do some noice burnouts.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:12 am 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Airved wrote:
I might go with supercharger on my next car then. I don't need mass amounts of power - just want to be quick off the mark and able to do some noice burnouts.

A centrifugal charger is not going to help you there, it won't make anything off the mark.
If your cars manual it'll be okay, but an auto 4L with a centrifugal charger would fair suck a*** IMO.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

It will be a manual. I'm just after something that's easy to install, and if it's all bolt on and I can keep my N/A mods, that just makes it perfect for me. The mods I have now will all be going into the next car e.g. zorst, intake.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Airved wrote:

A centrifugal charger is not going to help you there, it won't make anything off the mark.
If your cars manual it'll be okay, but an auto 4L with a centrifugal charger would fair suck a*** IMO.

when compared to a belt driven centrifugal turbo, twin screw\blade superchargers will create power at a much lower rpm range.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

10 to 12 grand for trbo??? thats crazy dont snort sell diy kits for like 3 grand plus say 3 for the little bits and pieces

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

james88 wrote:
10 to 12 grand for trbo??? thats crazy dont snort sell diy kits for like 3 grand plus say 3 for the little bits and pieces

The Snort kits range from $2999 - $4999 ...but they do NOT include:

Induction / intercooler piping ...add about $2000 for custom welded Ally or SS
Aftermarket ECU ...add another $1500 - $2000
Bigger fuel pump and injectors ...another $500 perhaps

So, another $4500 approx there ...and it's not even fitted yet!

Also bear in mind that the battery will have to be relocated to the boot to make room for the Pod Filter ...so approx $750 in parts and labour there.

So unless you're a whizz mechanic / Auto sparky ...you will need to get all the hardware and feed lines professionally fitted, ECU wired in, and finally all nicely dyno tuned ...so chalk up some decent $'s for the labour and time there!

So, $10,000 - $12,000 is not unrealistic if you wanna do a decent, reliable job.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6 (Formally PYROAY)

WA, Australia

wat you guys are missing is that a bolt on turbo kit isnt that much more expensive than a blower kit.
So ur say that u have to put a fuel system, ecu, exhaust, intercooler etc with a turbo to make good power.......
You need all that stuff with a blower aswell!!!!
You can get away with no ecu same as a blower kit does, no intercooler same as a blower kit, fuel system can be the same a blown car...
You could also get away with a 2 1/2" system.
So can someone please tell me how you can say how it cost 4-5k more for the same power level out of a turbo!

my 2c worth.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: el falcon

WA, Australia

IMPRTETA wrote:
wat you guys are missing is that a bolt on turbo kit isnt that much more expensive than a blower kit.
So ur say that u have to put a fuel system, ecu, exhaust, intercooler etc with a turbo to make good power.......
You need all that stuff with a blower aswell!!!!
You can get away with no ecu same as a blower kit does, no intercooler same as a blower kit, fuel system can be the same a blown car...
You could also get away with a 2 1/2" system.
So can someone please tell me how you can say how it cost 4-5k more for the same power level out of a turbo!

my 2c worth.

wel for starters most of the centrifugal s/c that i have seen ie raptor and powerdyne are self lubricated so 1 you dont need to plumb oil lines to them like you would a turbo also,2 you can keep your headers instead of having to pay for a new exhaust manifold, dump pipe ect, and being belt driven the s/c dosnt get as hot as the turbo which is turned by hot exhaust gasses so the need for intercooling is not as great as that of a turbo

only 2 things should come in a 2 litre, milk and juice

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

mark $2000 is a tad high for the FMIC piping and such.
cost a few hundred in materials (3" stainless) ... so cant really say $1700 in welding :P

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I think if your going for a power monster then go the turbo, if you want better pull in your daily driver then get the S/c. Capa claim 240 kw from their powerdyne unit @ the fly, which aint bad for the money. even if you only get 220 your PPO is the same as an early Tseries falc. Personally if I ever go forced which is highly unlikely Id get capa to install but someone better to do the tune for the S/c and flash. Its about the curve and delivery for me, PPO is a very distant second.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 8  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next