Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Import ...
http://www.pagparts.com/perfpts1.asp?pp ... &cat=gtnbb

or go through Joe....As you can see others here have....
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/sho ... adid=38235

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

imo t66 is too big , gt 3540 or even gt40 is rated at same hp and will spool alot lower imo.
gt3540 $2700.

777rwkws on 39psi with an old eb sohc, going for 7s...........

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

A mate of mine has a T66 roler bearing turbo on his VL and it spools up lower in the rev range than the stock T3. The garret GT series turbo's spoll up even earlier still.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef falcon

WA, Australia

the other day a saw a new gt3540 on ebay for $1500 i read a thing by garret explaing the differance in the series of turbos and the gt series sounds great ive also spoken to some jap workshops they recommend gt series and say theres no point using t series anymore...

stage2cam,lukeyheaders,highflowcat2 1/2, 2 1/2 exhaust 3 hotdogs, 17x235/45 17x255/40's

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL Turbo

VIC, Australia

Garret t66 turbo's spool spool easy and early because they are a ball bearing turbo. You can easierly see how quick they would spin my just blowing some air through your mouth into the turbo. You can hear it start spooling just from that.

John aka TMPTIN

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

TMPTIN wrote:
Garret t66 turbo's spool spool easy and early because they are a ball bearing turbo. You can easierly see how quick they would spin my just blowing some air through your mouth into the turbo. You can hear it start spooling just from that.

John aka TMPTIN

hahahahah thats the funnist thing ive heard all day, hahaha.

dont bother reading flow maps, just blow into the turbo. lol

777rwkws on 39psi with an old eb sohc, going for 7s...........

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

eb six on boost wrote:
imo t66 is too big , gt 3540 or even gt40 is rated at same hp and will spool alot lower imo.
gt3540 $2700.

it was recomended to us by john at townsville turbo suplies. he has been in the game for about 35 years and we trust his judgment.

plans have changed now any way.

we are looking into a 1000hp turbo. at an extra $300 to the t66.
setup propely we should see worth while boost as low as 2000rpm
i don't have full details of the turbo yet, as i said we looking into it

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

i have seen one turning in the wind so it should spool fairly quick

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

The only real difference between the T66 and GT series turbos is that the GT turbos are dual ball bearing and they have water cooling as well as oil cooling. T66's are only single ball bearing and have only oil cooling. I've seen some of them pop up second hand from time to time for a tad over 1400 bucks.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xcabbi wrote:
The only real difference between the T66 and GT series turbos is that the GT turbos are dual ball bearing and they have water cooling as well as oil cooling. T66's are only single ball bearing and have only oil cooling. I've seen some of them pop up second hand from time to time for a tad over 1400 bucks.

not true the t66 that was going to be used had water cooling

Post subject: T66 Clarifications
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Cortina

QLD, Australia

Just to clarify some of the info that has been listed above here.

The T66 is a compressor wheel not a turbocharger. The T66 is actually what turbonetics call their 66mm compressor wheel. Garrett also do a 66mm wheel which flows the same.

The 66mm wheel has a bore which makes it compatible with he T04 series turbine wheel shafts.

The T66 is generally only ever fitted to a P-trim turbine wheel (or Q -trim in the rare case that they are used)

So a "T66 turbo" is actually a large T04E as are T70, T72 turbos

Usually the 66mm wheels are quite wide so in most cases the P-trim wheel chosen for the job is the T04E variety because it has a longer shaft. The T04E P-trim wheel is also cropped to around 10 degrees standard as compared to the T04B.

If the T04B P-trim turbine wheel is used, the front of the T66 wheel needs to be machined off or there is not enough thread sticking out to get the nut on.

The T66 matched with a T04E turbine wheel is a perfect combo for the ford six. I used this on my Cortina.

An even better option again is the T04Z which is an off the shelf Garrett ball bearing unit which runs the 66mm compressor wheel and P-trim exhaust wheel. One of these will go on my car if the current turbo ever dies.

The key to getting good spool up is to match up the right turbine housing for your particular application.

The 66mm/P-trim combo running a 1.0 A/R split pulse turbine housing is best for street use with a mild turbo grind cam and a standard longish runner manifold, like the EB log or EF XR6 style without the butterfies. A single 3" exhaust with good mufflers woudl suffice in this case also.

The 1.0 split pulse turbine housing will start to choke the exhaust flow around the 370-400 rwhp mark but you will have boost below 2000rpm and power will fall off around 4800 rpm in a manula gearbox car.

If you can live with a bit more lag and want more top end as well then the 1.1A/R, 1.32 A/R or even 1.5 A/R housings can be used.

The 66mm wheels is able to flow a little over 1000 cfm and will flow enough air for over 700 flyweel hp comfortabley on a well setup engine with minimal exhaust restriction.

Exhaust restriction is the biggest restraint if you intend to try to max out the 66mm flow capabilities. For the exhaust to cope with the potential of the 66mm compressor wheel a 1.32A/R turbine housing or larger is needed and a 4" dump down to twin 3" system with good free flowing mufflers is ideal.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:22 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

I have a GT35/40 and it will be producing around 400rwkw, it already produces 306rwkw on 9.9psi and spools up nice and early and fast. Faster than a couple of T66's i have experienced.

GT35/40 is roller bearing which is better than ball bearing as it spools faster and lasts longer

What sort of power are you seeking?

There is a difference between maximum power and what makes a great daily driver.

I would use GT35/40 or GT40 unless your aim is 450rwkw +

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Cortina

QLD, Australia

Pyroay,

I am very interested in your setup if you're willing to share some tech info? Sound very efficient to be making that much power at 10 psi.

Is that dynoed on a dyno dynamics in shootouot mode? I'm assuming a manual gearbox is used?

What have you done for camshaft, inlet manifold and exhaust system?

Also what size turbine housing is the th GT35/40? It is split pulse or single entry?

Also what RPM are you making maximum power?

One thing I have to admit is the OHC engine really has some huge advantages over my old crossflow. If I could safely rev my engine to 6200 rpm (and get rid of my excessive backpressure) I would have a lot more power.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2