Fordmods Logo

Territory Ghia Turbo -> carries into future turbo falcons? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Territory Ghia Turbo -> carries into future turbo falcons
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA Falcon

QLD, Australia

G'day,
I recall reading a statement that there would be a territory turbo, and so it appears that ford is going ahead with production: here is the link:->
https://www.ford.com.au/landing/territoryturbo/

I cannot see an intercooler at the front grille, unless that little splash of silver is it, but I believe it to be the radiator. So that scoop would not be for aesthetic reasons, and would most likely be the intercooler.

So: this is the set-up of the typhoon (its very similar in design to xr6t yes? as typhoon is development from xr6t, except I think it had another air intake, software/edit to run more boost and what not) now focussing on the engine, intercooler and turbo pipework.
Kindly borrowed from fpv website.

So, from air intake from LHS over block into turbo, out turbo, into intercooler, back over block into inlet manifold. (Please correct if I have anything wrong).

Righto, now in the case of say the turbo territory, I havent seen under the bonnet and couldnt find any pics of it, so this is speculation. In the case of the intercooler mounted above the block, it may flow something like my sketch below:-
Okay, so the right side is my idea and understanding of what the territory turbo set-up would work like (the left is my simplified sketch of how the air travels in current xr6t/typhoon, I know I have the air flows from turbo wrong, but its just a quick sketch outlining how it moves).

Air (filtered) enters the turbo, then moves into intercooler, the now cooled charge runs straight into inlet manifold.

The turbo would/could get its airsupply via the standard airbox which is relocated to the RHS, and swapped with battery.

Right, so positives:- vastly reduced length of pipework between turbo/intercooler, super-dooper turbo response, the functionality of a scoop on the car and perhaps a few $$$ saved in a head-on prang (i.e. radiator breaks, belts break maybe turbo, intercooler, engine spared?).

Negatives:- heatsoak from proximity to turbo/block, maybe attract unwanted attention with the scoop on the car.

So this is just my thoughts on it, overall I think it would be fantastic if it carries into the future falcons, but if anyone has seen the set-up of the territory turbo, please post links/pics. And please correct any mistakes I have made.

1989 EA Falcon MPI (Converted! YAY!)
2.5" Sports System, Lowered, Thermofans, XG Snorkel
Result: 108.4rkw (145hp)

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

the territory is a top mount intercooler, like the WRX from factory i believe, that is the reason for the bonnet scoop

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

turbo territorys are out already arn't they? ford announced that they were doing them ages ago now!
might find the territory has a taller engine bay/bonnet setup and so there is room to fit an intercooler above there. but i don't think there is room in the falcon.
plus what a pain to remove the intercooler to change your spark plugs and s**t! and you know that anyone who will fit aftermarket stuff will end up fitting a front mount anyways more room to fit a larger one.
and why do we want to make the future falcons look like big WRXs?

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA Falcon

QLD, Australia

Surely it'd just be removing the ducts to change spark plugs and such. But it was a thought, as mentioned it would be a lot less pipework.

But I havent seen into a territory bay before, but now that you mention them being a bit higher, it would be similar to an rtv (the all wheel drive falcon, spelling?) which is a bit higher in the engine bay.

EDIT: thanks very much effalcon, I had replied and the next time I checked your post with the photo was in. Would heat-soak affect a setup like this vastly?

1989 EA Falcon MPI (Converted! YAY!)
2.5" Sports System, Lowered, Thermofans, XG Snorkel
Result: 108.4rkw (145hp)

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

wadi wrote:
it would be similar to an rtv (the all wheel drive falcon, spelling?) which is a bit higher in the engine bay.

there is no AWD or 4WD Falcon. The RTV is still rear wheel drive. It is just jacked up suspension height, and has tramp rods on the leaf spring and underbody protection and stuff. Same as the old Outback in the XH ute series. And I'm very sure the front of the RTV, the bonnet and that is the same as the standard BA gear no higher.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah heat soak city... they could have atleast made it water to air or just stuck the xr6t front mount on it . As lame as the xr6t IC is, it would do a better job of cooling that a top mount... top mounts :roll:

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

My Boss' Turbo Territory arrived today, he's picking it up next week. The bastard also has an XR6t

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I think they did it the wrong way around.. they fitted an XR6T engine to a Territory.. when they should have fitted a Territory awd drivetrain to an XR6T.. how awesome would that be!

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

I thought the turbo territory was only going to be on the RWD models?
If it is in the AWD ones I'd like to see how the gearboxes go.

Top mounts are s**t, Rexies are pretty much the only cars that still use them, and the WRX owners going for real performance do a FMIC conversion anyway.

I think you're overrating the lag caused by the piping, really there's not that much piping in the N-S engine setup, and the extra boost that it's capable of <plus the sick zututut> more than compensates for it.

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

fnp wrote:
I think they did it the wrong way around.. they fitted an XR6T engine to a Territory.. when they should have fitted a Territory awd drivetrain to an XR6T.. how awesome would that be!

Hell yeah!!!!!! I'd order one tomorow if they came on the market!

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Eb II 5 speed Wagon

NSW, Australia

Turbo ter's i belive to be in AWD Ghia trim only. (may be wrong but thats what i am lead to belive) I also belive that the RWD and AWD ter's use the same box as eachother and the falcons also except the awd model has the extension housing removed and a transfer case style arrangement attatched but next i am at work i will look over the turbo one as we have one now

EB II 5 Speed wagon
4L MPEFI with EEC IV & Smartlock
Air Con
Windscreen mounted sun visor
Tow Bar
15Inch Pensioner special Alloys with cheap tires
Radio/Cassete
Self Retracting Safety Belts
Fold Down Rear Seats
Clear Side Indicators

Such Exciting stuff is a GLI

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

RWD territories have the 4 speed auto and AWD have the 6 speed.
Turbo territory comes only in AWD/6 speed auto, and in 2 trim levels; Territory Turbo, and Territory Ghia Turbo. Ive driven a Ghia Turbo today at work and im impressed...

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

The biggest advantage with a top mount is response.

A mate replaced his top mount intercooler on his WRX for a front mount after reading about cooling efficiency and power gains. After fitting it the car has lost its some of its sharp response due to throttle lag which he thought was perhaps turbo lag. He didnt exactly realise that adding an additional 6 ft of piping does that to a car.

Back on track, I cant wait till people start running 12's and lower over the 1/4 and giving hsv owners the sh*ts!

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

schnoods wrote:
The biggest advantage with a top mount is response.

A mate replaced his top mount intercooler on his WRX for a front mount after reading about cooling efficiency and power gains. After fitting it the car has lost its some of its sharp response due to throttle lag which he thought was perhaps turbo lag. He didnt exactly realise that adding an additional 6 ft of piping does that to a car.

Back on track, I cant wait till people start running 12's and lower over the 1/4 and giving hsv owners the sh*ts!

Yeah but a rex is different to a falcon.
The wrx engine back to front, and the piping has to run around and to the back of the engine. This is a known problem and the reason why most WRX owners just go to the larger STi topmount and call it a day.
The I6 is suited to a front mount, just like the RB engines.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next