Fordmods Logo

Total Cost for a Turbo EF/EL 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Total Cost for a Turbo EF/EL
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I really want my next car to be a EF/EL Turbo setup but I will probably set it up on LPG because then its cheaper to run and its something different. What are the total costs involved and what would be the best option. Like buy a stock GLI car and work my way up or start with a XR6 and whats the total cost I would be looking at. Im not after a concours special just something neat and quick.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

if your going to do the work yourself and want a decent setup first time your looking at anything from $5000 to $10000. and if your not doing it yourself you can add to that.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

i just depends on how much power u want, how tidy u want and how much u want to do. i would say a fully finnishe reliable setup would cost any were form 8000 - 20,000+

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

holy s**t, i wouldnt have thought it would be that much!!!

so u reckon that much just for the turbo set up?!?!?

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

about 3-4k just for the turbo, cooler and piping, then u got ecu, tuning, engine work, diff, box.. list goes on, then engineering n s**t.. just buy a BA turbo! lol

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

well I dont want really high power or anything I just want enough to say rival the skylines, supras etc that I see driving around boosted up. I dont want to buy a BA Turbo because its to plain for my liking. I want people to see the front mount peeking out from under the front bar and say wow! there is a turbo EF/EL not hey there is another BA, I wonder if its turbo because I cant tell unless i see the badges. Thats my only gripe about the higher model BA's like the GT/F6 is that they arent really different then the stock ones. Look at the bonnet on that commodore. From a mile away you can tell that its not your average holden acclaim.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: gt40

VIC, Australia

its not THAT bad...
if you're just going to bolt on to a stock motor, u can do it fairly cheaply but reliability becomes another issue.

turbo 3-4k??? my god i dunno where u guys shop... u can get a GT35R from mosts shops these days for $1600-1700 new with warranty, external or internal gate.. u can get a gate fiarly cheap couple of hundred.
Manifold around 600-1000, then piping and a cooler will cost a little bit..
LPG setup with a single throttle body and two converters could sting u around 3grand installed, maybe cheaper if u buy bits second hand, tho this will save a lot of cost and problems down track and be a lot easier to tune and play with as u dont have to worry about injectors, fuel pumps and ecus.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hmm... can listen to the theories of a few people who have had a bit of a think about it... or you can take a look at what people have experienced actually putting a turbo on their I6....

Have a poke around here. There must be dozens of threads from people who "dont want huge power, something low boost but quick". The answer is inevitably the same.

Dont feel obliged to believe me.

Other alternative is to fork out about 6 grand for a supercharger kit from CAPA and spend a weekend/week bolting it up. Easy, good price and bloody good fun.

(Waits for the guys to tell me how turbos are better than superchargers etc etc etc)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

tahts just it, the super charger will set u back 6k but is alot easier to bolt on, then take off if you sell the car, or get in s**t for it.

set the blower up properly with a good blower cam and a cooler and you will get anywhere upwards of 200rwkw, bit of head work, some injectors and a chip, bobs your uncle. Look at brendon mocks old setup, he had a blown 6 and was making around 400hp at the wheels, which by very rough estimate is around 280kw at the wheels.

a low boost turbo setup will see you above 200rwkw aswell, but its alot more messing around.

its really up to you mate.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

someone is goin to say this soon anyways so i might as well, read chefs thread and take a note out of his book, hes done a few setups and knows what hes talking about

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

forced induction will be alot cheaper for u if you have a bit of mechanical nouse and are handy with a welder, if nto and you still want to venture down this path i suggest taking some short courses in mechanics and welding,

as getting the pipework all made up at an exhaust place costs $$$, if u think about it, most exhaust joints charge $350+ to make up a section of pipe running from just the t/b to the airbox on a normal I6, imagine how much they will charge when they have to cut holes in your cars engine bay, then run pipes to and from the cooler with bends in it

then if u have to get a mechanic to fit the turbo setup on is gonna cost $$$ to, holes in the sump for oil drain lines, oil supplys for turbo, fitting the dump pipe and wastegates etc etc...wolf 3D or some form of aftermarket ECU wired in, then you gotta get it all tuned!

brings the cost up a fair bit
now can u see where everyone gets the $10,000 figure from?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah ppl think oh yeah i might turbo my car cause this kit is only $2500! but thats s**t, costs freakin heaps for a decent job.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

QTRJET wrote:
its not THAT bad...
if you're just going to bolt on to a stock motor, u can do it fairly cheaply but reliability becomes another issue.

turbo 3-4k??? my god i dunno where u guys shop... u can get a GT35R from mosts shops these days for $1600-1700 new with warranty, external or internal gate.. u can get a gate fiarly cheap couple of hundred.
Manifold around 600-1000, then piping and a cooler will cost a little bit..
LPG setup with a single throttle body and two converters could sting u around 3grand installed, maybe cheaper if u buy bits second hand, tho this will save a lot of cost and problems down track and be a lot easier to tune and play with as u dont have to worry about injectors, fuel pumps and ecus.

I think mate he meant 3-4K for the turbo, turbo manifold, intercooler and various piping work which is pretty on par with what u should expect to pay

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the snort kits come for bout $3500 is the cheapest kit, but they dont include the following: ECU, pipework, injectors, larger fuel pumps and turbo cams

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

What everyone has forgotten to mention is how much it will cost once you start breaking things as well....lol

Your gearbox and diff may last for another 5 years with only 100rwkw, but with 200rwkw they may not last 6 months.

Also think about insurance, that will cost quite a few $$$ if you can find someone to insure you.....you wouldn't drive around uninsured would you?

If your on a limited budget and "don't want real high power or anything" then take 4.9's advice and have a good look at the CAPA kit. Best thing with that is, as you get more money to spend, almost all the typical n/a powerups apply to superchargers as well i.e. headers exhaust intake pipe, cam, ported head...

I recall the CAPA kits are ADR complient as well (may need to double-check that), which would make insurance much easier, and less grief from the cops if/when you get pulled over.

If your not into the supercharger idea, then have a real good look at the guys that actually have succesfully performed turbo conversions on their cars, there are more than you'd think, but less than the hype would suggest.

The other possible option is look out for someone who is selling an already Turbo'ed Falc. They do pop up from time to time for pretty reasonable dollars...just have it thoroughly checked out first by a decent workshop to make sure the conversion is safe/reliable.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next