Fordmods Logo

Turbo conversion to standard BAMk2 XR6 - Possible/Thoughts? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo conversion to standard BAMk2 XR6 - Possible/Thoughts?
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

Well, I just got my 2005 Bionic back from the repairers – it got pinged big time in the March hail storm here in Perth – but the paintless dent repair guys have done a fantastic job. It’s like the hail never happened.
Problem is this:
I borrowed my Dads 03 BA XR6T while my non-turbo XR6 was in eth shop. And now I want that kind of power.
I had been thinking of Raptor s/c kit – but realistically I could not get it registered here in WA so I would have copped a yellow sticker (defect notice0 the first time I got pulled over.
But I have started thing about – and have had an initial chat with Darren at FTG – about the possibility of simply bolting on all of the XR6T gear for the turbo. The benefits of this would be – it would look totally factory and all the parts should fit.
Yes – I could just sell my car and buy and XR6T – but that would probably be a $10k changeover cost – and I doubt I will get a car as cleans and straight and well looked after as mine.
The conversion should come in at half that cost.

My questions are;

- Is it possible to do or I am pipe dreaming?

- If the std XR6 block is strong enough to take the 300kw Raptor S/c kit – then surely it could handle a stock, or only slightly improved 240 – 270kw XR6T conversion?

- - What obstacles and major hurdles will I encounter making this less than the easy ‘bolt-on” job I am hoping it can be? I’m an accountant not a mechanic but my Dad and Brother in law are mechanics

- What other parts will I need to upgrade? Fuel delivery?

- I already have an upgraded front brake kit so I’m happy with the brakes.

Any comments/encouragement greatly appreciated

Cheers
Richard

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion to standard BAMk2 XR6 - Possible/Thoughts?
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

1Rik_Biel wrote:
Well, I just got my 2005 Bionic back from the repairers – it got pinged big time in the March hail storm here in Perth – but the paintless dent repair guys have done a fantastic job. It’s like the hail never happened.
Problem is this:
I borrowed my Dads 03 BA XR6T while my non-turbo XR6 was in eth shop. And now I want that kind of power.
I had been thinking of Raptor s/c kit – but realistically I could not get it registered here in WA so I would have copped a yellow sticker (defect notice0 the first time I got pulled over.
But I have started thing about – and have had an initial chat with Darren at FTG – about the possibility of simply bolting on all of the XR6T gear for the turbo. The benefits of this would be – it would look totally factory and all the parts should fit.
Yes – I could just sell my car and buy and XR6T – but that would probably be a $10k changeover cost – and I doubt I will get a car as cleans and straight and well looked after as mine.
The conversion should come in at half that cost.

My questions are;

- Is it possible to do or I am pipe dreaming?

- If the std XR6 block is strong enough to take the 300kw Raptor S/c kit – then surely it could handle a stock, or only slightly improved 240 – 270kw XR6T conversion?

- - What obstacles and major hurdles will I encounter making this less than the easy ‘bolt-on” job I am hoping it can be? I’m an accountant not a mechanic but my Dad and Brother in law are mechanics

- What other parts will I need to upgrade? Fuel delivery?

- I already have an upgraded front brake kit so I’m happy with the brakes.

Any comments/encouragement greatly appreciated

Cheers
Richard

direct bolt up. you will need ECU as well. but you can get your stock ecu flashed to suit. FTG will be able to confirm exactly what is needed as well.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Cool - sounds like a great option.

Question though: Turbo and non-turbo motors have different compression ratios.
What will this translate to in car? Less power in my turbo'd NA?
Will it affect driveability - I'm not sure what teh ramifications are.

Also considering a comlpete heart transplant - a possible 270KW Typhoon motor etc swapped in.
Is this likely to work or will it not be as easy as it sounds?

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:12 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: eb-twin turbo

VIC, Australia

the n/a engine are good for around 280rwkw with correct tune

06 dated engines all have the typhoon bottom end and can handle 400rwkw

higher compression will give better low down power/response but limit boost pressure overall

the stock turbo ba engines are not much better then the n/a version , around 300-350rwkw will usually ensure bent rods ;) keep the power levels below 300rwkw and it should be reliable daily

Snort Snort, we make our own speed!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I'd be more than happy with 280-300rwkw

More than happy

Do you sell a bolt on kit?

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: eb-twin turbo

VIC, Australia

yes we sell kits to suit your application, you will need flash tune and 2 bar map sensor once the kit is fitted :)

Snort Snort, we make our own speed!!!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

From experience N/A motors have best off boost response!

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

it would be cheaper to trade your car for an XR6T, you should be able to get a BAMKII turbo... it shouldnt be more than a 5k changeover

benefits are that youll still have a car that you will be able to sell when you decide to... save yourself the headaches of the conversion, you can then concentrate on power mods instead on a good platform

220rwkw in a ba gets boring pretty quickly, youll want to go faster and youll regret pushing it harder when the motor goes boom! buy the T

Quote:
06 dated engines all have the typhoon bottom end and can handle 400rwkw
this only applies to the XR6Ts

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

By my reckoning my car's only worth $10k and the XR6T's are around $20k - the Typhoons around $30k

I'm now looking down the route of dropping in a 270KW Tyohoon motor in it's entirety

It means the difference between a $20k changeover and a $6k engine and exhaust swap.

Hopefully then I'll have a platform to expand on the Typhoon base 270Kw in future
I have upgraded front rotors and calipers, so the only weak link I suspect/hope will be the gearbox

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]