Fordmods Logo

Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8. 

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef2 Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

I'm currently tossing up with ideas on building my toy.
I own a Ef2 Fairmont Ghia 4.0l i6 and a Xe Falcon.

I was tempted with the idea of boosting my Fairmont a while back but thanks to other things the plan was put on hold.

Since then I've got my Xe and planned and priced up a 393 Cleveland for it (480hp).
This would cost me about 15 grand fitted, Aslong as I have no drive-line issues.

I've always been a fan of the turbo i6's as their different, Rare over here in NZ.

I'm wondering if people could share their opinion on advantages and dis-advantages to turbo six's vs the v8.

If i was to go turbo, I would want to aim for between 400-440rwhp, So i think I would be best to get a Stage 3 Snort Performance Kit and use a au six engine.
The other concern I have is how my auto and diff will handle this?
I am yet to get a complete price on this build.

- I hope I posted this in the right place and apolergise if I missed any answers to this in my search -

Daxxx.

Otago Early Falcon & Fairlane Car Club!

Post subject: Re: Turbo I6 vs N/A Cleveland V8.
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

power vs economy the turbo 6 will win in both counts..

the turbo 6 can produce as much if not more power than the v8 and will use less fuel to do it..
im getting about 450hp at the engine (estimated) 355rwhp out of a std au engine with about 5g of turbo gear on it.. std auto box with increased line pressure and electronic shift kit, diff is std xr6 lsd...

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

TROYMAN wrote:

the turbo 6 can produce as much if not more power than the v8 and will use less fuel to do it..
im getting about 450hp at the engine (estimated) 355rwhp out of a std au engine with about 5g of turbo gear on it.. std auto box with increased line pressure and electronic shift kit, diff is std xr6 lsd...

5kg maybe? :)

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:30 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: eb-twin turbo

VIC, Australia

cost alone the i6 wins hands down however i do have a 900hp custom single turbo setup here to suit 302/351 clevo ;)

Snort Snort, we make our own speed!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:

I'd be keen to talk some more about your set up if you don't mind? Any chance of a PM with some more details, parts used and any cost you want to share?

The other thing I need to consider is, Snort gear is Australian dollar, So i need to be aware of shipping and exchange rate.
The other option I have is to price everything up separately locally.

Am i correct in saying an au xr6 engine bolts into ef's fine? (Haven't found anyone who has said otherwise in my search)

Thanks for your input so far.

Daxxx.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

lol.. 5g as in 5 grand...

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

TROYMAN wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

lol.. 5g as in 5 grand...

lol thought you where making some sort of power to weight statement.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

Shop around mate, I was going to go snort stage 3 kit. Took the list to a local shop with the prices and got a very good alternative at a wicked price. Postage will probably sting you a bit as well.

Despite the rarity of turbo i6s compared to oz, there are some knowledgable people around. Just make sure the people you see know turbos, and know fords.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:46 am 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

kiwief wrote:
Despite the rarity of turbo i6s compared to oz, there are some knowledgable people around. Just make sure the people you see know turbos, and know fords.

Yeah, Since posting, I have been looking into some prices like on trade me and other NZ sites, seems I could get the parts cheaper here.

Can I ask who you went with? Maybe they could give me an idea on price, Or it might even be worth going with them.

The turbo six seems to make more sense on paper, Bang for buck. The xe is only holding in because I like it. Sadly I think a lot of locals from my club would dislike the turbo idea, They are old school v8 guys lol.

Daxxx.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

At the end of the day you have to do what you want to do mate. Sounds to me you want the v8.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Batmobile

New Zealand

I'm going through Bay Turbos in Tauranga, I will be picing up my full quote in a week or so, I'll PM you the prices when I get them.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

XR-Lane wrote:
At the end of the day you have to do what you want to do mate. Sounds to me you want the v8.

Well, oringally I was dead set on doing the turbo on my Fairmont, But my brother got together with some of the local falcon club and talked me out of it, said I would get more power for less money out of an v8 and it would be more reliable.

I can't say anything on how reliable a turbo six would be but it certainly seems cheaper for the kind of power I want, No point in going much less, I would just end up not being any happier than I am now and want to rebuild it.

So after them talking me out of it I brought my Xe to do my v8 build, but now as I'm getting prices, the bill is getting bigger and bigger.

I'm starting to think I only talked myself out of it because of others, because I've never stopped liking the idea of a turbo i6

kiwief wrote:
I'm going through Bay Turbos in Tauranga, I will be picing up my full quote in a week or so, I'll PM you the prices when I get them.

That would be good man, What kind of setup/power are you looking at? PM that if you please.

Daxxx.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Nothing wrong with reliability with the turbo, none at all. its about what you want, depending on how mutch you spend on a V8 it will be cheaper. But you will save money on running costs with the turbo.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

XR-Lane wrote:
Nothing wrong with reliability with the turbo, none at all. its about what you want, depending on how mutch you spend on a V8 it will be cheaper. But you will save money on running costs with the turbo.

Well, Orginally I had a guy in the club who knows alot about building engines keen to build my v8, But he doesnt want me going over 300hp, which isn't enough for me lol! An au xr8 puts out that!

As I said earlier I want about 400hp, Something he didnt agree with. So My only other opition was an engine builder, Putting the price up!

Plus I need to get a gearbox for it and any other things that may become a problem in the old 84 Xe.

The Con to this is, Unlike my fairmont, It has no abs and wont handle as well. I'm also tossing up if I can afford having two vehicles. Regersation and Warrents aren't fun.

Daxxx.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm 

NSW, Australia

why not turbo the v8?????? best of both worlds...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next