Fordmods Logo

turbo on factory ecu 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: turbo on factory ecu
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

will using the capa e series edit allow the factory ecu to read boost
i was going to turbo my el and thought that the capa chip would be easier than aftermarket computer

also posted in ECU & Fuel System Forum

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

how much boost you planning on running? considering you will be upgrading your fuel system (fuel reg, injectors, fuel pump) and forking out for a turbo kit, it would be much better to go for an aftermarket, like wolf, they are not hard to wire up either, heaps have done it on the e-series here, in the long term its better as well, no dramas.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Going aftermarket would be better, as long as you're prepared to spend hours on the dyno, and this would be the best way to go about it, the only upside of the factory ECU is that there is already a map for cold tune, below boost, etc.. and it will run whatever your car has at the moment.

But to answer your question, I wasn't aware of the capa chips allowing you to read more than 6?? psi of boost. Which isn't a whole lot. But I could be wrong.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

justfordima wrote:
But to answer your question, I wasn't aware of the capa chips allowing you to read more than 6?? psi of boost. Which isn't a whole lot. But I could be wrong.

To clarify, the limit is not the chip, but the factory MAP sensor. I know with the BA/BF's, it is possible to change the MAP sensor, and using the SCT Advantage software, rescale the MAP sensor tables for a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor.

I cant see any reason why this would not be possible with the E-Series cars, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this on an E-Series car yet.

Assuming that is possible, then it would be a hell of alot easier and cheaper to use the std EEC with a CAPA Eliminator chip than to go aftermarket.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I sincerely doubt the MAP sensor is the restriction, I have tested these units and with over 30 psi they are still reading strong. It is in fact the ECU which limits them (the tables rather).

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah its the ecu itself... be great if edit was good for boosting a Eseries, as engineering would be easy... aftermarket ecu's can be hard to engineer, well, impossible... I only got mine through on the old ED due to hiding it under the dash and pretending it ran on eec stil lol

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

if you are prepared to use batch fired injection for a decent turbo setup/tune... then go ahead with a edit, if you want good/sequential injection control, then go aftermarket...

aftermarket gives you a whole range of programmable outputs and inputs aswell, datalog, a/f reading and logging, thermo fans, boost control, intercooler sprays, shift lights, traction control, launch control, antilag and all the nice little things that the EEC cant do.......

also, i dont beleive the EEC would be capable of running low impedance injectors...

there was a very detailed argument between these two systems in a thread on here a little while ago

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

justfordima wrote:
I sincerely doubt the MAP sensor is the restriction, I have tested these units and with over 30 psi they are still reading strong. It is in fact the ECU which limits them (the tables rather).

What is the range of a std non-turbo MAP sensor? I doubt it would be more than 1bar....?

Anyway, it is the tables in the ECU I am talking about.

On multiple occasions, the MAP sensor has been succesfully changed on non-turbo BA/BF Falcons, and the load tables re-scaled to suit the increased range.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

could allso be a faulty map sensor, i had to replace one in my old ea. i pulled the old one apart and it had oil and dust deposits over the silicon membrane.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]