turbo questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: turbo questions
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

ok i know there is a sticky about turbo's and a DIY job but what i want is diff to that. im the sorta bloke who loves power and i wanna c what i can get outta my car stock but na thats too expensive... anyway, what i wanna know is what should i look for in a turbo to gain about 20-50kw outta it. its my everyday car and i just want an extra bit of go about it without spendin huge amounts of dollars on cams etc when i can just put a turbo on it and stick a pod on the end and get more power with less worries... i just want some direction as to what to look 4 with a turbo and whether the computer will handle it cos its only small amounts of power increase im wanting... for now anyway...

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
just want an extra bit of go about it without spendin huge amounts of dollars on cams etc when i can just put a turbo on it and stick a pod on the end and get more power with less worries

Not going to happen with a turbo setup. Tuning alone will be just as much as a CAM for your car.

a turbo is not a bolt on upgrade - takes alot of messing around and Cost alot - as most ppl say Dont bother unless u have 10g to spend.
Ppl have gotten away with alot less yes - some not even with a tune.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yeah but i cant really justify like 400 for a cam that will give me 6kw at the wheels though...

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You can run a low boost setup (5psi) from what i've heard on the stock ECU and injectors, any more and it wont work.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There is more to cams than RWKW, remember you are changing the powerband/torque curve.

If u do alot of the install / pipe work yourself that can help save alot of cash.
remember turbo's arn't cheap for a good one that suits the application.
and by the sounds of it u might want to upgrade later on - if u skimp on stuff early u will just end up replacing later on when u want more power.

and as far as i know the stock ECU can handle boost.
Apparently Snort's EA runs stock ECU, and i think from memory Fritz run stock ECU for a while aswell.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

well thats all i really want. i dont want anything huge simply cos i dont need it atm i just wanna give it a bit more go

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

so what kinda turbo should i look at?? an old T3 or T4??

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

from what i have read the work OLD and turbo do not go together well.

i think Chef's sticky he goes a bit over the choice in turbo, and there are other threads that go over that. im not sure bout which one u should get.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ive just done a budget turbo setup done most of it my self ,only bought what i had to and its cost me $6000 so far and ive still got a ecu and tuning to be done ,so id say unles you have $8000 or so spare dont bother

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

by old i ment that the turbo model is old not a second hand one... soz shoulda explained better

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Got this from one of my ford magazine DIY turbo guides:

Quote:
A traditional favourite is the t04B P-trim with the 60mm compressor and 1.06 A/R ratio exhaust housing. Basically this is a cheap old school turbo charger cheap as chips (little as $200 second hand) and uses a T4 flange. While not as agressive or responsive as later turbo chargers, it will do the job just fine

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:

Quote:
A traditional favourite is the t04B P-trim with the 60mm compressor and 1.06 A/R ratio exhaust housing. Basically this is a cheap old school turbo charger cheap as chips (little as $200 second hand) and uses a T4 flange. While not as agressive or responsive as later turbo chargers, it will do the job just fine
thanx alot for that. thats the sorta thing im lookin for. i figure if i get a cheap turbo but good manifold then i can upgrade as i see fit. thanx for that smiley235

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

[/quote]Not going to happen with a turbo setup. Tuning alone will be just as much as a CAM for your car.

a turbo is not a bolt on upgrade - takes alot of messing around and Cost alot - as most ppl say Dont bother unless u have 10g to spend.
Ppl have gotten away with alot less yes - some not even with a tune.
Quote:

10g??? call j-spec he will do you a decent turbo setup for under $4000... dont belive me???? give him a call yourselvs

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

Who/what is "j-spec"???

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

macca20042 wrote:
smiley235 wrote:

Quote:
thanx alot for that. thats the sorta thing im lookin for. i figure if i get a cheap turbo but good manifold then i can upgrade as i see fit. thanx for that smiley235

no worries, this will be a good learning experience if you try to do the setup yourself.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next