turbo rego vic 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: turbo rego vic
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

It shouldn't cost you thousands to engineer a car, unless there is a lot of custom work, and it would have to be a huge amount! Technically if your not engineered your not actually covered by the insurance you pay for, if you read the fine print. It really isn't too hard to get mods engineered if they are not too wild.

You need to see what an engineer says in regards to the ECU, but opting for either a factory unit or one that can be locked will make engineering so much easier & cheaper. There are guys around who have wildly modified car's with aftermarket ECU's & turbo's & cams yet still managed to pass emissions testing & get engineered, but with a fair bit of tune work, and that costs $$$.

My mighty boy turbo will be engineered, i have been quoted less than $1000 with the following mods.

F8b engine transplant - needs to be on current certificate even tho it's already been engineered
Turbo conversion
EFI conversion
Megasquirt ECU (i don't need to pass ADR 27c so it's ok no matter how i tune it)
Modified seat rails
Larger than factory rims & tyre combo
Front mount IC
Suzuki swift Struts
Braided brake lines

The engine swap was only $250 to engineer originally as it was a bolt in replacement, even tho it's almost 50% larger than stock. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: turbo rego vic
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
An engineers cert will cost you thousands of dollars and a lot of bother.

Just blow the thing, insure with Shannons (without an engineers mod, they are ok with this), my el with lowered suspension, sway bar, xr6 turbo, log manifold, intercooler and all the pipe work, to insure, $395, im currently paying $450 for insurance without the turbo!!

So insurance is not a problem, with Shannons, as long as you are old enough to have them insure you (23 i think it is) ring and ask, its just a phone call.

Another thing, is cops can still hassle you even when you have an engineers cert waving in there face.

Best thing in my opinion, your covered with you insurance, your car runs boosted, you get pulled over? Be nice, polite and dont get caught doing anything wrong :) ie, do it on back-back roads where no one will know :) (I know its hard)

I have to disagree to. The emisions test will cost you the most amount of money not the engineers.
I would rather have an engineers cert if the cops pulled me up then not. They can't hassel you if there is nothing wrong with your car, what are you gunna do when they put your car off the road for illegal mods. Sometimes it doesnt matter how nice you are to them if they are out to put a car off the road they will. And as Torana said read your fine print you wont be covered if they wanna be a***hole about it.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2