Fordmods Logo

TURBOTAXI UPDATE - AU LPG TURBO new Dyno result. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: TURBOTAXI UPDATE - AU LPG TURBO new Dyno result.
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I posted this on AFF but there will be people here who remember this car.
For those new to the story back in 2004 I bought an ex taxi AU from a base station in Syney. It had 749XXX k's. Shortly after that I bought a SNORT performance stage 5 turbo kit - Manifold, wastegate, 600hp turbo etc... and fitted it at home with the help of this forum. I then got it running and boosting on LPG with the help of this forum. That was at about 790xxx K's
Shortly after I fitted the gear without any tuning the taxi motor died. I fitted a new motor but without tuning it was on its last legs when I drove it to QLD to take it to Goldies workshop at Southport to do a one day engine swap/turbo fitting (it took 12 hours!). I drove it stright from the workshop to chiptorque to get the chip fitted to retard timing etc..

OK so picking up where the story left off two years ago, I had fitted a new motor (50k or so), and had a J3 chip added with retarted timing maps, IIRC that was in January of 2007? Since then the car has been pressed into regular duty, shopping trolley, kiddy transport to ballet, the pool etc... It has even towed motorcycles from Melbourne back to Dubbo via the Hawkesbury. Its had a lot of normal use.

After the work in janury 2007 (motor and ECU) I kept meaning to get it on a dyno but was just busy with life and kids and for a couple of years the nearest dyno was in Orange, 230 k's from me.

Then I lost a chunk of intake manifold gasket so boost was leaking and therefore it was pointless getting it dynoed.

A couple of weeks ago I got all the manifold issues sorted.

My partner is away visiting freinds at the moment with the XR6T so I am driving the taxi to work. I had heard there was a new mechanical shop in Dubbo called MR HDT who had the latest Dyno Dynamics gear with weather referencing and all the bells and whistles.

I needed to know my tune was safe, it has seemed OK for the last two years, but had never been tested.

I called them this afternoon and he said to bring it in in 1/2 and hour and he would give it a run. So I went up there.

I explained how last run was a dissapointing 161.7rwkw with no tuning to the ecu and detonation. I said to them as I have said here many times, "I think it would have to be closer to 180rwkw - 200rwkw now, it feels heaps faster"

So we get it up on the dyno with 8psi and pull 4 runs.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............

Peak power run was 244.6rwkw

We did 4 runs in total and the ones you see below are the consistent ones (he said that the box had tried to kick down in the 244.6rwkw run, and that consistent runs were more truthful)

and this is what we are left with.

So as you can imagine, everyone was a little surprised. So I guess this shows that the ring mixer landi renzo set up can yeild good results, that the standard unopened engine doesnt hate boost, that you can do it backyard style with forum assistance, and the SNORT hardware is long wearning (over 70,000k's now)

I knew that thing was going fast!

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Post subject: Re: TURBOTAXI UPDATE - AU LPG TURBO new Dyno result.
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

Does very well.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

is the motor dead stock?

220rwkw @ 9psi on a dead stock motor is a very good result.
not to mention on the less then desirable LPG setup.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
is the motor dead stock?

220rwkw @ 9psi on a dead stock motor is a very good result.
not to mention on the less then desirable LPG setup.

Yep - its a series 3 wrecker motor from the people south of Brisbane - Aussie Car recyclers? Paid $550 for it with a stated ~50,000k's I have not removed the rocker cover, and I didnt even remove the sump to tap in the drain lol. Literally unopened.

The ECU does have the J3 chip that cuts 4 degress at WOT but the actual motor is untouched.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Wow, that's a great result. I take it that is on LPG? I'm amazed if it is with such a basic LPG setup.

What were the AFR's like?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats an incredible power curve lol
so flat and even through the revs and from so early on!

can you please go into more detail about your gas setup?
i almost picked up a gas ring from the wreckers the otherday as im sure it would be slightly more boost friendly than an impco 225 with the diaphram...

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Wow, that's a great result. I take it that is on LPG? I'm amazed if it is with such a basic LPG setup.

What were the AFR's like?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Yep on LPG, The AFR/safety was one of the reasons for getting it done, I dont recall exactly what they said, but they said they were quite safe.

RE the simple LPG set up I spent a bit of time talking to Ian from Bensons at Cardiff they had done a few of these in the 80's and 90's he gave me a heap of tips over the telephone. It also helps that these are such big convertors in terms of fueling.

Last edited by TURBOTAXI on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
thats an incredible power curve lol
so flat and even through the revs and from so early on!

can you please go into more detail about your gas setup?
i almost picked up a gas ring from the wreckers the otherday as im sure it would be slightly more boost friendly than an impco 225 with the diaphram...

Hi the convertor is a SECSIC81 SM+P Landi Renzo its the biggest one Landi make (well it was when I was researching), and when they import them into Australia they are pulled down and have larger springs fitted and are opened up in other ways. They are designed for N/A and rated for 6 litre engines and are meant to be rated for 300hp N/A.

When I was researching not many people knew about turbo and LPG with a ring mixer. There were a few good sources on AFF and Geoff from SNORT dug up good information too.

The key to this working is the green hose that runs from the pressure side of the piping to the back of the diaphragm where the balance pipe goes. Without that it just wont fuel under boost That pipe equalises the pressure on the mixer side and balance side of the diaphragm to allow it to boost and fuel.

Hilbert Klaster used to be the technical guy with apollo gas who sold me the convertor he didnt think there would be a problem with it.

There is an LPG processor but it doesnt do anything. The stepper motor has been removed and in its place is a screw type max flow adjuster. It was engineered like that, and it works, so I have not tried to refit the stepper motor.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah i understand how boosted LPG setups work :)
but just never seen one with a mixer ring.
do you have any pics of the ring itself?

im wondering if i could get away with using the mixer ring with say a B2 or impco converter :)
would be much simpler and easier to setup

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

misk_one wrote:
yeah i understand how boosted LPG setups work :)
but just never seen one with a mixer ring.
do you have any pics of the ring itself?

im wondering if i could get away with using the mixer ring with say a B2 or impco converter :)
would be much simpler and easier to setup

No I dont have any pics of it sorry - its the same ring that was in it as a taxi I think people call them "BBQ rings"it sits in the blue coolant hose just in front of the TB, I had to grease it to get it in there lol.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ahh i see :) they are around 2" internal diamater.
might have to grab one from the wreckers and have a bit of a play when i get mine boosted.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The balance line is the same as what you need from the GRA TB to the B2 converter to make it flow fuel under boost.

A B2 with a ring shouldn't work, your talking about a simple converter & a simple mixer. A complex converter works with a simple mixer like a ring. A complex mixer like a GRA TB uses a simple converter like the B2.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what are the differences between converters then?
from what i could see the only difference is that the stepper valve is a part of the converter itself, but in this case its not even being used...

but im keen to learn the differences :)

XG Panelvan

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

misk_one wrote:
what are the differences between converters then?
from what i could see the only difference is that the stepper valve is a part of the converter itself, but in this case its not even being used...

but im keen to learn the differences :)

Simple converters have no mixture adjustments on them, and require a complex mixer, like a GRA carby to adjust the fuel mixture.

Complex converters have mixture adjustments on them(usually screws to play with the tune) & can be run with a simple ring type mixer which has no adjustments on them.

Usually someone would choose a complex mixer & a simple converter to run in a boosted setup, like my 440cfm GRA carby & B2 converter in my Turbo Torana project, but we have been shown by turbotaxi that you can successfully use a simple mixer & complex converter.

If you have a read of the following url it should tell you a little about them. http://www.lgmotorgas.com.au/facts.htm

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks mate.
i know alot about boosted gas setups, just never looked into the differences of non impco or GRA.
i'll check it out.

XG Panelvan

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next