Fordmods Logo

VVT 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: VVT
Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

variable vain technology. used in porshes and large trucks. is it avaliable to the general public.

just daydreaming about a project i'll do one day and i'll need instant boost and pleanty of it when it gets going.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Are there any porsches at pickapart to check out?

What is the project? Surely a regular turbo that is suitably sized can provide minimum lag and good top end power at a much cheaper price.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

When I was on the Formula SAE team at the University of Wollongong last year I was asked to look into fitting VVT to a motorbike engine.

It has been done before and there are 2 main suppliers that do sell VVT cam phasers and solenoids. The companies are Delphi (pronounced Del FI) and Borg Warner / Morstech.

I think Ford source their phasers from Borg Warner as they are marketed as VCT whilst deplhi market theirs as VVT. Good luck getting a hold of them as both companies went into receivership last year. Delphi wouldn't reply to my emails and trying to call them up was a futile exerceise since the guy that answered the phone knew nothing about VVT phasers. Ddin't even know they existed. Delphi Japan were slightly more helpfull as they replied but since no one had done VVT on a motorbike engine they hadn't made any phasers that small.
Borg Warner were worse as their email address on their website didn't even exist and they had no other contact details there.

In the end I had to abandon the project because of the severe lack of information regarding VVT at the time. I tried getting a complete head with cam gear plus VVT phasers and solenoids from a BA falcon so I could model that and have a bit of a play but the uni didn't want to foot the bill of over 1k at the time. Best deal I could get was from Darren at FTG who had a dead head complete for around the 600 dollar mark and again the uni didn't want to budge so I was forced to abandon the project which p****d me off big time.

To cut a long story short, yes it is possible and for a single cam E series there are 2 ways. Bolt on a complete AU VCT head and rocker cover.
Or you could start from scratch, CNC machine up some custom phasers, add a custom secondary oiling system or just supply an external oil feed from the oil pressure sensor buy a standard 2way solenoid from Delphi then design your own micro controller with appropriate trigger wheels to control it all. Are you up for the challenge?

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

He is talking about variable vain turbos, not Variable valve or cam timing.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

good informative post xcabbi, although it just missed the mark slightly...

i dont know of any aftermarket VNT turbo systems.. they are called Variable Nozzle Turbo on systems such as the 3.0l diesel patrol.

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ah VNT's. Almost all of the smaller garret turbo's (GT12 to GT17V) have variable vanes. Apparently the series 4/5 rx7's had vnt's but most of the stuff out there is for turbo diesel passenger cars such as VW golfs. Get in touch with Garret or KKK and see what they have. Ah I forgot one vehicle that has a VNT that might be suitable for a falcon. Current range of ford F trucks. The 5.4 diesel and 6.3 powerstroke both have VNT's.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

current f-trucks?? the f-truck was discontinued late last year... until it can meet euro3 i think it is emissisons. anyway, yea, the f-trucks we are familiar with

anyhow, as far as im aware, the 5.4l is a petrol engine, N/A. and the powerstroke is a 7.3l turbo V8, although, that has a wastegate not a VNT

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

oops by bad. Didn't know they were discontinued.

IIRC They had two diesel engines in the US. The 7.3 and the 6.0. We got the 7.3 which was the more basic engine. I actually remember reading that the 6.0 got a lot more development put into it including a variable vane turbo. I also remember seeing somewhere that out of the box it is more powerful than the 7.3 and is easier to modify but many US F truck owners have had reliability issues with the 6.0. Have a flick through the just parts mag and you'll see a few of them around.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok sweet as

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]