Fordmods Logo

Water to Air intercoolers 

Page 4 of 10 [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: Water to Air intercoolers
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
shav wrote:
ToxicAdam wrote:
Thanks Shav
Do you think a bigger throttle body would go down well with a raptor sc kit ?

Not really. Supercharger uses air velocity rather than volume. (correct me if Im wrong)

If you were to increase the TB you would need more air to fill it. This could result in lower boost.

Again, this is my understanding.

wouldn't result in lower boost.
if the TB is a restriction, you'll see a pressure drop across it, eg. 8psi in manifold but 10psi in the intake piping (that would be an extreme example).
if there is no pressure drop across the TB, then a bigger one won't provide any increase in power.
for the power levels you are looking at, i personally don't think a bigger throttle body is going to provide any increase.
but you could always do the above test to be 100% sure.

Thanks for that clarification. I wasnt sure how to explain it to Adam.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Bf xr6

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the words of advice Steady ED
any one know about the lsd diff from an xr6 turbo into a xr6 n/a

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ToxicAdam wrote:
Thanks for the words of advice Steady ED
any one know about the lsd diff from an xr6 turbo into a xr6 n/a

I dont see why it cant fit. Theye are basically the same cars. Albeit one has a turbo strapped to it.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:29 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

shav wrote:

no wuckers!
it's actually something worth testing, superchargers are tricky in regards to this because you can't easily increase the boost to make up for any losses (intercooler, piping, throttle body).
so any restriction you can find and eliminate is worth it.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
shav wrote:

no wuckers!
it's actually something worth testing, superchargers are tricky in regards to this because you can't easily increase the boost to make up for any losses (intercooler, piping, throttle body).

yes I agree. I have a spare head at home I plan to do some minor porting to. Only removing casting dags and possibly increase the size of the valves, but chose not to increase port size as this can be more detrimental than beneficial.

Making the air route as resistance free as possible is the best for forced induction Im led to believe. Not the amount of air volume.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Quote:

I think i will test it, i already have one here that i bought from a friend.
Early next year i am buying the raptor kit, hopefully some family Christmas money will help fund it haha.
Still debating on water to air but i will post a thread as soon as its complete.
Cheers for all the help guys

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:40 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

shav wrote:
Hey cooky, while I cant speak for your setup, I know with mine on just a 7psi pulley in traffic, I can feel the heat reduce power. Maybe with your 13lb pulley you may not feel it as much, but I definitely do with mine. I cant explain how. BUt if you have any ideas on why, Id be keen to know.

I'll leave it up to the OP to take the course he wants.

i have a similar issue..
once i get stuck in traffic the heat soak is a killer...
also to add to that i got the ecu set to pull out ignition timing as temp rises..

to start off cold the car responds great even when the water temp is where it usually sits..
but as soon as im stuck in traffic for a few sets of lights and the thermo fans come on..
its already got that much heat soak you can feel it loosing power..
once i get home and open the bonnet the alloy intake pipe is that hot i cant hold or touch it more than a second.. its as hot as the manifold or rocker cover..
i was thinking about insulating the intake pipe or possably ceramic coating it?? but dont know the cost of this???

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Quote:
i was thinking about insulating the intake pipe or possably ceramic coating it?? but dont know the cost of this???

Troyman, I know to have a turbo ceramic coated was around $250-$300, and to have extractors done was around $350. Im guessing it should be over $300 to have it cermaic coated.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
shav wrote:
Hey cooky, while I cant speak for your setup, I know with mine on just a 7psi pulley in traffic, I can feel the heat reduce power. Maybe with your 13lb pulley you may not feel it as much, but I definitely do with mine. I cant explain how. BUt if you have any ideas on why, Id be keen to know.

i have a similar issue..
also to add to that i got the ecu set to pull out ignition timing as temp rises..

to start off cold the car responds great even when the water temp is where it usually sits..
but as soon as im stuck in traffic for a few sets of lights and the thermo fans come on..
once i get home and open the bonnet the alloy intake pipe is that hot i cant hold or touch it more than a second.. its as hot as the manifold or rocker cover..

Troy, I would look at getting the heat shield fitted if you havent got one already. Then get the cash together asap for a w2a cooler unit. By the sounds of things, this is the sure fire way to get constant intake temps.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
shav wrote:

i have a similar issue..

Troyman - heat shield over extractors (if you're prepared to lose the aesthetic appeal), and vents (if you're prepared to cut your fibreglass!) would make a massive difference. My intake can always be held by hand even on the hottest days in traffic....I've just got the extractor heat shield.

If you want to keep the extractor look then ceramic coat or wrap them. And yes water injection won't stop heat soak, but will cool the whole intake system down nicely after its been activated (ie. squirt on boost).

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Quote:

This is something i pulled from a wrx website, if a w2a intercooler is not on the cards maybee changing the intake piping would help ?
To cope with high boost , APS utilizes Nomex-reinforced silicon intercooler hoses. These APS silicon hoses offer more protection against under bonnet heat soak than either steel or stainless steel tubing.

Im not an expert so anyone with ideas on silicone hoses feel free to say something.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:

Troyman - heat shield over extractors (if you're prepared to lose the aesthetic appeal), and vents (if you're prepared to cut your fibreglass!) would make a massive difference. My intake can always be held by hand even on the hottest days in traffic....I've just got the extractor heat shield.

If you want to keep the extractor look then ceramic coat or wrap them. And yes water injection won't stop heat soak, but will cool the whole intake system down nicely after its been activated (ie. squirt on boost).

Joe

yea i have got an au heat sheild that has been on my extractors but currently isnt on there..
time to put it back on i think !!! ....
vents??? for functionality a good idea.. (my bonnets steel!!) but dont really want to cut it...

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
JoeXR6 wrote:

Joe

yea i have got an au heat sheild that has been on my extractors but currently isnt on there..
vents??? for functionality a good idea.. (my bonnets steel!!) but dont really want to cut it...

Something like this would look good Troy although not sure how functional it would be.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-EL-XR-8-STY ... 286.c0.m14

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EA-ED-GT-FORD-ST ... 286.c0.m14

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
JoeXR6 wrote:

Joe

Hey Troyman I got my pacemakers comps coated in Cermakrome, you would not believe how much cooler the engine bay is, i dont have the charger so mine wouldn't get as hot but i highly recommend getting your extractors coated in that stuff

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
JoeXR6 wrote:

Joe

Hey Troyman I got my pacemakers comps coated in Cermakrome, you would not believe how much cooler the engine bay is, i dont have the charger so mine wouldn't get as hot but i highly recommend getting your extractors coated in that stuff

Another handy idea is to cut a section of the rear weather strip around the extractor side and a small section around the BBM. I haven't notices much but I suppose it'll help vent out the heat when you're in a traffic grid-lock.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 10  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next