Fordmods Logo

Water to Air intercoolers 

Page 6 of 10 [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: Water to Air intercoolers
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

That's a seriously big pump shav! Any ideas yet where you will put it? I have one of a similar size mounted inside the front drivers guard, running the water injection...space is pretty tight once you put the core + plumbing in.

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:58 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

shav wrote:
Well I could have gone for their budget system they were selling for $280, but I knew the upgraded parts would be better off int he long run.

I went the smaller but thicker heat exchanger, and the type 19 long flow core, as well as the better Bosch Cobra water pump. All up delivered I paid over $600. Alot I know, but all the parts I wanted are to suit my car and ultimately longevity. .

Do yourself a favour and go look at the pricing on the 'Plazmaman' website at the coolers that are the same design as yours.
Also for a giggle look at prices on PWR barrel coolers.
I reckon you've done pretty well!

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
That's a seriously big pump shav! Any ideas yet where you will put it? I have one of a similar size mounted inside the front drivers guard, running the water injection...space is pretty tight once you put the core + plumbing in.

Yeah thanks Joe. I wanted the bigger pump. Dazzle reckons its by far a better unit than the cheaper ones they had on offer, not just for flow, but for reliability etc. Might sound a bit overkill for my application, but at least I will have some peace of mind with it pumping cool water around often.

As for location, thats still up in the air, but ultimately Id like it fitted close to the core. Maybe on the same side as the air pod but on the shocker tower? I dont know, probably too close to heat. I will need to buy a bracket/harness for it so it can be screwed in nicely. Frozen boost didnt have them in stock sadly so I couldnt buy one from them. But I'll check Bunnings etc and see if they have something similar.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Do yourself a favour and go look at the pricing on the 'Plazmaman' website at the coolers that are the same design as yours.
Also for a giggle look at prices on PWR barrel coolers.
I reckon you've done pretty well!

I have nothing against Plazmaman or PWR, they look like quality kits they produce. But for what I paid, the products I got look pretty dam good. The welds on the core look clean and fairly neat. No they dont have anodized fitting and arent painted pretty, but the overall finish is still very good.

The core itself weighs a bit still. Roughly 5-10kg alone. But internally the core is well made. and seems to look the goods. Im not complaining at all.

As for freight times, I placed my order last week on Wednesday night, and recieved it yesterday during the day. Used their UPS delivery system which gave me up to date emails of where the parcel was. 8 days total to deliver from the states is what I call pretty dam good service.

If your wanting some questions asked, they were good to tell you the answers you needed to know. Usually next day replies.

If I was to do this again, I wouldnt hesitate to go Frozen Boost not only for price, but also for service.

I will wait and see how this system works first after its all hooked up and running before giving a report on the products performance.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Has anyone got details on power gains before/after intercooler when running a powerdyne.
obviously you're limited in terms of boost on a powerdyne so i'm keen to see what kind benefits they give.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
Has anyone got details on power gains before/after intercooler when running a powerdyne.
obviously you're limited in terms of boost on a powerdyne so i'm keen to see what kind benefits they give.

The only person I know of that has done a w2a unit on a capa charger is opto. But I dont know what he was pulling before or after as he had his engine rebuilt to suit.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

Hi Shav, Here is my old set up on a 347ci.

Charged air is cooled through here. Water runs back of cooler toward the front so the air is coolest at the motor.

Hot water heads over to the storage tank. Tank replaces battery which resides in the boot.

Stored water gets drawn though cooler mounted at front, it has it's own fan. The water pump is mounted to the side where is pumps the cold water to the back of the cooler at the top.

I wired my Fan and pump of the fuel pump circuit. This set up made 361rwkw on 95 octain.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I reckon shav's cooler will look neat sitting between the centrifugal outlet and the T/B. just a matter of fabricating the right intake tube bents so that everything looks symmetrical.

It'll be less fiddly plus less piping for plumbing.

Attachments:
85.jpg
85.jpg [ 34.88 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:

EFFalcon, I'll let you know when mine's done! Could be a while though. I'm running an upgraded impeller on the powerdyne though, so boost should be higher than standard.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

shav wrote:
EFFalcon wrote:

The only person I know of that has done a w2a unit on a capa charger is opto. But I dont know what he was pulling before or after as he had his engine rebuilt to suit.

Opto is running a vortech, with fairly high (maybe 14psi?) boost.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Slick wrote:
I reckon shav's cooler will look neat sitting between the centrifugal outlet and the T/B. just a matter of fabricating the right intake tube bents so that everything looks symmetrical.

It'll be less fiddly plus less piping for plumbing.

Slick, I'm pretty sure it won't fit there on an AU. I looked at the option with the straight core, but there isn't even enough space beside the bbm to fit that water pump. Would be so easy if it fitted there though!

I think the way Tim at raptor has run it is the only way the straight through core will fit.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA MKII DEVIL R XR8

Power: 257 rwkw

NSW, Australia

LTDHO wrote:
Hi Shav, Here is my old set up on a 347ci.

Charged air is cooled through here. Water runs back of cooler toward the front so the air is coolest at the motor.

Hot water heads over to the storage tank. Tank replaces battery which resides in the boot.

Stored water gets drawn though cooler mounted at front, it has it's own fan. The water pump is mounted to the side where is pumps the cold water to the back of the cooler at the top.

I wired my Fan and pump of the fuel pump circuit. This set up made 361rwkw on 95 octain.

Hey mate i was just wondering where u got all your stuff from. Cheers stuart

If in doubt, rev it out

542rwhp of forced V8 goodness

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hey fellas.

LTDHO - thanks for those pics mate. You have a pretty awesome setup. that core unit looks like it fits well under the bonnet.

Slick - Thats the ultimate position Id live to fit it, but think the same as Joe when he says it will foul with the BBM. Having it fitted just above the headers is the best place for clearance. Thank god I invested in the heat shield. Either way it will be fitted, its just a case of where.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

What a shame :(
have you tried dummy fitting just by sitting it between the shock tower and the BBM?... then take a bird eye view photo, don't just give up yet until I'm satisfied it can't be done. i like to see the actually size in that area so I can picture it, if you to mind of course. :lol:

Could be worth while getting hold of these heat sinkers as well.
http://www.frozenboost.com/stpg.php?pag ... a8cb38e331

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Slick wrote:
What a shame :(
have you tried dummy fitting just by sitting it between the shock tower and the BBM?... then take a bird eye view photo, don't just give up yet until I'm satisfied it can't be done. i like to see the actually size in that area so I can picture it, if you to mind of course. :lol:

I havent had the chance yet. When I came home from work last night it was dark outside. This morning I had no time. If I get the chance this weekend I will dummy fit it and take pics of it in profile to see high high it sits. But 5" in width and breadth is a lot to conceal.

The other option is right at the back above the motor and against the firewall. That would give the greatest protection there. But Im not sure of how much room there is there. Once again, a dummy fit will answer that question.

The heat from the engine will heat it up too, so Id have to fit a foil heat shield or stick on heat shield under the core to help protect it as best as possible.

Cheers
Shav

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 10  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next