Fordmods Logo

What am I missing? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: What am I missing?
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

I don't post much on here, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me out :) I'm currently collecting bits and pieces for my ED project, and I need to know what I may have overlooked. I have thus far got:

T04e, 1.16 exhaust a/r, p-trim (IIRC),
external 50mm 'gate,
snort log-style manifold,
3 intercoolers (all 76mm thick, 1 tiny, 1 medium, 1 huge, I can't decide which one to use),
3" cooler piping + all joiners and clamps,
turbo inlet piping,
all oil lines + fittings,
battery in boot conversion (to clear piping),

I have yet to fabricate up a dump-pipe, and am thinking I might just pay someone to do it :( This setup was determined to be a budget setup, and have so far spent $350 in total (long story) but with a nice tax return, I think I'm going to throw a bit of money at it and finish it off.

Fuelling will be handled by a laptop tuneable injected LPG setup that is currently being worked on in our workshop (my car is the first test mule).

Oh, and the exhaust will be 3" also, I just haven't had time to fit one up.

One thing I haven't sorted out yet, is spark. Any suggestions for this aspect of the project?

I haven't yet looked into a nice turbo grind cam to help things along, any suggestions in this department?

Due to a lack of time, I would prefer to be able to tap the oil return into the sump whilst the sump is still on the car if possible, but is there a fool-proof way to stop shavings entering the sump?

I am aiming for 200rwkw initially with mild tuning, however 250rwkw is the aim once we are able to fine tune the LPG maps better...

Driveline will remain stock (apart from clutch). T5's aren't too expensive, and a 'spooled 28 spline BW diff isn't either.

Help? Suggestions? Comments?

I am all for criticism, as long as it is constructive. I'm here to learn! It will be my second turbo conversion (first was a 1600cc 2WD '81 hilux farm ute with a small Saab turbo + blow-through carby setup), but I'm still new to this forced induction stuff haha.

Jared

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't know a great about the rest of the stuff you want to know about, but a good way to get a return feed to the sump, is to undo all the bolts, holding it up, so it drops a few inches. Then once you know where you're going to drill, cost the drill with grease, get yourself a rag, put a huge blob of grease on that, and hold it on the inside of the sump as you drill. So that any filings should get caught in the grease on the rag.
Still wouldn't hurt to flush the motor out before you get it all going again, but probably not necessary.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that! That sounds like it might just work. I will give it a good couple of flushes anyways, just to be sure.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]