Fordmods Logo

Will an R33 GTST turbo suit a 250 on LPG? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Will an R33 GTST turbo suit a 250 on LPG?
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

i have the opertunity to buy an incomplete turbo kit of someone. for a long time i have wanted to turbo the falcon with its straight impco setup. (225 with L conv.) the kit is based around an EFI motor manifold and uses an R33 turbo which is a T03 from memory on a T3 flange (manifold is a standard log that has been modified). is the R33 turbo suitable for a lowish boost street application or with a T3 flange am i better off using another turbo. any suggestions would be appreciated. i am basically after a budget setup to have a nice high torque output and give the car a bit more of an edge
Cheers

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

it would work but its a small turbo.. way to small for a falcon.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:51 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

put 2 on ! :twisted:

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that would be good but its got a single turbo manifold to suit a 250, the price is a steal. when would it make boost to? has it ever been done before?

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

any ideas what i would get out of it with a decent cooler and how it would act ie power band, top end etc

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:19 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

it'd probably just about boost at idle. and make similar power to an rb 25. the exhaust housing will most likely strangle it above about 3500 rpm. what about one of those ebay t3/t4 things ?

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:15 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

rb25 turbo will be way to small for a 250. it will make boost very early then run outta puff mid rev range. As for power levels i think you would be lucky to see 180kws. the turbos cannot be boosted over 14psi as they have a ceramic rear wheel.

buy a larger size turbo with at least .50+ A/R front and a .82 A/R rear. that size turbo would make good power

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

180kw at the engine? i was also looking at a t3/t4 but they are not very cheap and there are alot of dodgy ones floating around. i was hoping the t03 would be good for a high torque setup. what will happen when the turbo runs out of puff? will it just stop making more power or will something go wrong?

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

180kws at the wheels with a very good tune and unsafe boost levels.
when it runs out of puff it makes no more power and get doughy. wont do no damage just lacks alot of power.

if u have your heart set on the rb25 turbo i would talk to Aaron at Slidingperformance.com about getting him to build a stage 3 highflow 25 turbo. same size just the wheels are bigger and the housings have been machined out.
then it wont be as bad at high revs but if i was doing it i would leave the rb25 turbo on the table for a paperweight cause u wont be very happy with the performance on a 4.1

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Is it a T3 flange?

Whack a GT3540 on there.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it is a t3 flange but for my first setup i wanted something with very little lag and cheap. i want to set it up and iron out all the bugs and improve things around it then once everything is soughted i will be building a hot motor to go with a GT3540 or a big TO4E.

if i were to run a big cooler, with straight LPG and a top notch ignition with about 10psi, what sort of performance would i expect ie power, torque, response, and 0-100.

thanks for the advice nick81xd

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

sorry to highjack thread but i have a question....say you only wanted to run low boost, like around 6-8psi max, but have it come on fairly low in the rev range what would be a good size turbo? would something with a smaller turbine A/R ratio be better for spooling early in the rev range, and then just have the wastegate set to open at desired pressure?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The turbo will work I had a t3 of a vl on my ea and it had no problems hosing a r32 gtr the turbo on the rb25 is close to the same as the vl but it has a crappy ceramic exhaust wheel.

cheers Mic

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

what sort of results did you get? ie power and torque? when did boost come on? also at what rpm did the turbo top out? i beleive the ARs of vl and r33 turbos are comparable if memory serves

thanks

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:05 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

with a 5 speed it was on boost by 2000 rpm and held power all the way to 5000 it was a nice car to drive except the amount of torque that it had down low it would munch 3rd if you loaded it up at low rpm it was only ever dynoed at 4psi and that was from the guy I bought it of it made about 150kw@w. He then hooked up an extra injector and changed the exhaust to 3inch ran it on 8psi and it was a fun car to drive. It hosed a r32 gtr that just had fresh turbo's and a tune the ea's wastegate was playing up so the car was seeing a max of 5psi. If I was to do a set-up on the cheap again I would use a series4 rx7 turbo as the exhaust housing is a fair bit bigger then the vl I would however change the comp cover and comp wheel to something a bit more suitable.

cheers Mic

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next