Fordmods Logo

xf carb air intake 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: xf carb air intake
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

is there any point in doing anything to a carby engine to do with cold air intake for example k&n or adapt a panel filter in box out of efi xf any help or advice would be good thanks

"He who falls to sleep with itchy bum
wake up with smelly finger."

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

nup, carbies suck

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

really there isnt many options, you should be able to get a K&N filter to suit the carby's round air filter bowl, but aside from the normal intake ducting, theres not much that can be done without cutting a hole in the bonnet, trimming the filter lid and sealing the lower half of the air filter bowl to the bonnet

i'd advise against using the EFI's air filter box, especially considering the lack of decent washable panel filters for them, as well as the problems with heat transfer (the EFI airbox is very close to the exhaust manifold) and theres a very limited number of extractor options that will clear an EFI airbox

Banned

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thanks for that i know i can get a k&n filter to suit but i was thinking of getting a air filter assembly to sit on top of the carb and get a k&n to suit that and then i was thinking of adapting a pod and placing it bhind the left hand head light but i am not sure if this has any gains what are your opinions i think i may be going stupid or somthing lol

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the best way would be to fully seal up the air filter top and base and then run a pipe to a pod somewhere in the cool air... under the bumper maybe

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah thats what i was thinkin thanks for the help i might do that soon and see what happens

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

the easist and most effective way would be to seal the air filter bowl to the underside of the bonnet, trim the lid so it only covers the filter, and cut the bonnet for a bonnet scoop

Banned

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

i had a pod running on my xf carby,, worked well enuf,, down behind the washer bottle where the horn sits,, i wouldnt say there was any noticable gains,, but after all the work i wasnt about to take it off.. i had a setup made of some flexible piping which i fibreglassed,, (i cant use it atm as i am now running a redline manifold which moves the carb further from the engine and closer to the bonnet, this caused the piping assembly to fowl on the bonnet.. will be investing some time on making another one shortly)

sorry for the long post..

give it a shot you dont know until you try..

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

i am doing the same thing to my cortina when i get the weber on.

i am going to make up some kinda hose which bolts onto the top of the carby and then runs down to the passenger headlight. then i am going to cut a hole inbetween the headlight and the radiator and run the hose out there and bolt on a unifilter.

this is just an idea i had the other day while waiting at the carwash... :)

i think it should get awesome cold air in it then because it will be in front of the radiator and everything...

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I changed my XF from drawing air over the exhaust to drawing air from the other side to keep inlet temps down, I then added a uni filter washable filter and also did some plumbing to draw cold air from beside the headlight.

I drilled the inlet pipe off, removed that heat actived flap etc to get rid of the restriction, i then cut a hole on the opposite side and reivted the inlet pipe back on, and put a plate over the original hole.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
I drilled the inlet pipe off, removed that heat actived flap etc to get rid of the restriction, i then cut a hole on the opposite side and reivted the inlet pipe back on, and put a plate over the original hole.

haha thats exactly what i did.. thats what im running atm actually whilst i redesign my pod setup..

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Dellboy999 wrote:
I changed my XF from drawing air over the exhaust to drawing air from the other side to keep inlet temps down, I then added a uni filter washable filter and also did some plumbing to draw cold air from beside the headlight..

Did you notice any difference when this was done

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:03 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Dellboy999 wrote:
I changed my XF from drawing air over the exhaust to drawing air from the other side to keep inlet temps down, I then added a uni filter washable filter and also did some plumbing to draw cold air from beside the headlight.

i just done the same thing but am going to try and make an adapter to go on the top of the carb at work today will post pics when it is done

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

mitch911 did you notice much of a gain with the redline inlet manifold. did u use the webber or a holley? was it the 2bbl manifold? thinkin bout gettin 1

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeh it was well worth it,, im still running the webber, had to make a custom adapter plate as apparently they dont exist (i still disagree with this but i got sick of searching).. after i installed the manifold the car takes off so much better,, i also removed a huge amount of pollution control stuff (shhh) because the new manifold doesnt allow for it.. but off the line it goes heaps better, revs out quicker and easier ( feels less restricted if you get me) and the vacuum is much smoother and stronger (i have a vac gauge running and the needle snaps back and forth instead of bouncing and rattling around now)

if you can get one cheap then do it,, but 300 odd for a new one is a bit steep... i payed 150 for mine (ebay)

-mitch

12.3 @ 114

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next