Fordmods Logo

02 AUII F'lane V8 spark plugs confusion! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 02 AUII F'lane V8 spark plugs confusion!
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU2 Fairlane Ghia V8

QLD, Australia

Anybody with one of these critters able to help? My cars running dual fuel setup ( non- factory ) and has pacemakers & 2.5" exhaust. K'n'N pod filter on breathing side.
The headers were just fitted, and the mechanic has replaced apparently fouled old plugs with 8x new ones- all being NGK 'R' BPR6EFS 13 plugs. And now the car is running like shyte, vibrating and missing... Not a Happy Camper!
Now, Good Old Max Ellerys' Manual specifies these should run two different spec plugs?
One for cyls 1-4, the other type for cyls 5-8. These are listed as Motorcraft AWSF32EG (1-4 Gold) and AWSF32E ( 5-8 Blue)...
So I figure my mechanic has fitted the wrong plugs!?
Have gone onto NGK's website, and it gives me a whole different spec plug for a cross reference! They suggest TR55IX plugs....
Got one of these cars? what plugs is it running? I realise there may be additional probs because its running dual-fuel, but she ran nicely before I got the exhaust work completed.
Any help here guys? I just want the car back on the road running happily :D
Thanks,

Post subject: Re: 02 AUII F'lane V8 spark plugs confusion!
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Does it do it just on petrol,gas or on both? Are you sure he gapped them correctly before he installed them? And there's always the possibility he damaged one of the plug leads when he changed the plugs. Start the car at night with the lights off and have a look under the bonnet. If you can see and sparks shooting off the plug or leads then you know which one is causing the problem.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey there! thanks for your assistance :) . I think they were gapped okay...
It ran quite well for a little while before starting to play up. And no significant difference when switched from gas to petrol, still seems to be missing on 3-4 cylinders, running rich.
I carted one of the replacement plugs into Supercheap - had a look in their NGK plugs booklet there - it was for an EL model, like the GT or XR8 variants? The booklet gave me the TR55IX plug as their one for AUII F'Lane 5.0l V8, and same for TE/TS50 variant, so more on track there!
But will do a nite-time check on the leads, just t'besure!
By the way, also loked at pricing up replacement lead kits... Autobarn listed part#TG8070 @ $169.00 , and Repco had identical item for $210.00!?! Holy s**t!

However - everyone list just the one plug as a replacement, no mention of differing ones between cylinder banks- and now have heard about a V6 mazda makes that is similar & MUST be fitted with correct plug type for left/right bank or it runs crap too!?
Cheers,
Lecter71

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No you dont need to run different plugs for each bank as ford do and it will run fine.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

:? thnx - hope to attack it before they weekend!
Hey, these plugs are bloody hard to get to! Got any tricks to extracting them? I'm just using s/plug socket on a knuckle joint and ratchet - but looks like i may need to attack some from under the car?
Skaife on Australian Top Gear - What a sad start to what could b a great series....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]