Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 159rwkw
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

as the topic says infers, i got my new toy tuned today and returned a not too bad 158.9rwkw. i was hoping for a touch more but that will have to do for now. mods are stage 3 crow cam, match ported and polished heads, i was told bigger valves but no receipts for that, microtech ecu and mafless, hurricane headers (i think-all mandrel bends), twin hi flow cats and full 3in zorst. also has 3.9 diff and shift kitted auto which doesn't affect power but helps get off the line a bit better.

power is a drug and so i am already wondering what i can do to give that bit more without going forced induction or pulling the motor apart. i hear people talking about explorer intake manifolds or late model ones off au that are meant to be better. are these just plug n play? how much does it benefit if at all?

any other ideas greatly appreciated.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats a pretty decent figure, have u still got the original e7 heads u said are pp'd and ho manifold? if so wack an explorer inlet manifold on there, some gt40p's and 65/70mm throttle body, all off the AU V8's. u can match port & polish them to give u some really good power! should get around 180rwkw with them on, but then need to maybe look at bigger injectors, 24/30's?

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

is the inlet manifold worth doing on its own. too cash strapped at minute to be ripping heads off.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 17 images

QLD, Australia

Definately is if your E7s have been ported. My Bro ran 14.4 ETs all night (in a Ghia) after some mild port work and fitting an Explorer and 65mm throttle body. Cheap and easy to fit also.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

explorer inlet will be worth doing alone & u can add a 65mm throttle body. explorer should be around $600-800. throttle body i've seen go for $200-250. then wack a decent cold air intake, if u aint got one, like AU tickford one ($30) & K & N air filter($110) and should go much better!

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

what sort of power gain are we talking here by just adding explorer intake. already have cold air of sorts. pod filter in airbox with snorkel that looks like ef xr8 (or is that what std one looks like) and also intake through bottom of airbox but working on the ducting through to the front bar. just a hole at moment. for $500+ for maybe 10rwkw if your lucky then i think i'll leave it as is for a while. i'm on pretty good terms with a few wreckers and spare parts places so may be able to get something a bit cheaper.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i reakon get an AU XR8 snorkle from ftg auto salvage on here. the explorer might get u a further 10-15kw.
how does ur 3'' exhaust go? is it 3'' from y peice back? is it droney?

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

drove it back to adel from syd and not real droney, just revving as 3.9 diff. has hot dog undr middle which i think wrecks the note and makes it more droney and at some speeds it sounds like a hot six and thats just no good. has twin cats and looks like 2.5in to y piece and then 3 in into hotdog and rest of system. all mandrel. sounds nuts at full noise but room for improvement with the note. little bit droney around 80kph

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ah, same as mine, drones a bit at 60-80. might go the twin 2 1/4'' or2.5'' system for a better note soon.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 17 images

QLD, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
explorer inlet will be worth doing alone & u can add a 65mm throttle body. explorer should be around $600-800. throttle body i've seen go for $200-250.
I've got a couple of sets of Explorers and 65mm throttle bodies at home... will sell at the lower end of that range (a bit less in fact).

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

The lower half of the HO inlet manifold will be your biggest bottleneck at the moment...especially now with those ported E7 heads.

The word on the street is that some of the lower inlet ports flow around ~150cfm. The intake in your heads is probably around 180cfm at peak (depending on how good the port job is??)

You could port the lower intake as described here, http://www.tmossporting.com.

But may just be easier to buy an Explorer...

Dave

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

I achived 220rwkw with E7's & HO upper manifold....... but before I replaced the lower manifold with a HOLLEY, I was limited to 201rwkw & thats with a lot of porting.
If I were you I would be looking at replacing this at least, along with fitting 1.72:1 roller rockers for that extra lift.
here's a HO vs a HOLLEY runner check out the difference!
kenny

Attachments:
holleyVho lower.jpg
holleyVho lower.jpg [ 51.01 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

A few months back, 5.0 and supperfords ran a comparo on a 347 stroker using the following manifolds
GT40
BBK SSI
Trickflow R
Holley Systemax
and Edelbrock RPMII

The RPMII was the only manifold to make over 450hp at the engine on thsi combo. It was outdone by a GT 40 up to about 3000rpm for torque, but then pulled away and made power all the way to 6500. Just my 2 cents
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi

just a quick question ???

why dont some of u V8 guys use the CHI or AFD alloy heads straight out of the box theses heads are good for well over 500Bhp with just a simple match port of intake and exhaust manifolds.

There new heads and at about $2200 bare , u do u homework u have to Buy GT40 heads theres over $800 and porting is anything near $800 plus .

Weight would have to be half the weight of the cast iron heads

This would basically equate to a BOSS302 setup with 2006 technolgy

Using the explorer inlet manifold would also involve having to mate the manifold to the heads , just wonder if there is a similar manifold for this head combo to match.

with the right camshaft and a programmable ECU i would hate to think of the potential Bhp u could make.

Bhp = Big Cash

Guys dont take this as a attack just a suggestion

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

I guess it depends if money is an issue?
I considered them but I'm on a budget and so my reasoning is pretty straight forward. Yep, AFD's are better flowing right out of the box but you also have to change out the headers to match the AFD heads as well so the $2,200 cost is closer to $3,000 and so all up that's over a full gorilla more than being able to use the existing Pacies that already fit GT40P's. That's money in my pocket to use elsewhere.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next