Fordmods Logo

302 Clevo has low compression 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 302 Clevo has low compression
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane

WA, Australia

picked up my V8 yesterday,did a compression test this morning,while it was cold....number 6 was 95 and number 8 was 45 psi,the rest were bout 150 psi,im gonna do rings but i was thinking wether to do bearings aswell,can you get the pistons and rings in from under neath the block or am i going to have to rip the heads off to get em in.also am i going to have to get oversize pistons and rings or can i just get standard rings and give the block a light sand and still use the same pistons?can i also just get standard bearings as i dont want it costing me s**t having to get crank reground and all that jazz...info please..just want to get it in my Xd so i can have a driveable V8

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Post subject: Re: 302 Clevo has low compression
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

fezagero wrote:
picked up my V8 yesterday,did a compression test this morning,while it was cold....number 6 was 95 and number 8 was 45 psi,the rest were bout 150 psi,im gonna do rings but i was thinking wether to do bearings aswell,can you get the pistons and rings in from under neath the block or am i going to have to rip the heads off to get em in.also am i going to have to get oversize pistons and rings or can i just get standard rings and give the block a light sand and still use the same pistons?can i also just get standard bearings as i dont want it costing me s**t having to get crank reground and all that jazz...info please..just want to get it in my Xd so i can have a driveable V8

Mate unfortunately to do rings the motors going to have to come out....
You will find its probably got a couple of burnt valves if its low on compression, and you might aswell put a 351 crank in there while your at it.

Post subject: Re: 302 Clevo has low compression
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

double post

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

the engine is coming out anyways as im pulling it from the wreck and droppin in my XD i was hopin i didnt have topull the heads off and slide the pistons and rings in from the crank side,dont want it to cost me too much money at the moment as i dont really have much to spend on it,is there an easy way to check for burnt valvaes and whats the repair procedure on them?heads off and reseat the valves?

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

you cant do rings from the bottom, on any engine...
heads must come off and you can check the valves once the heads are off. Chances are the heads will need servicing and hardened valve seats installed.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

bugger,was hopin not to pull heads off,aparently they have already been set up for unleaded,which im assuming is hardend valve seats and s**t

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]