302C Cooling Problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: 302C Cooling Problem
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon XR8

New Zealand

HI!!

I just recently brought an 87 XF ute, with a 302 Cleveland. Its runs awesome, and sounds and drives like a beast.

The other day I took it to town for the first time and idling around town it started to over heat!!!!!
I let it cool down then took it straight out to the open road again and it was sweet.

So I flushed the radiator out and changed the radiator cap and still no luck, when left idling for 10 minutes it still starts to over heat.

I am pretty sure the radiator is big enough, as it fills in the whole front grill area.

The things is....it is only running 1 electric fan.

WHAT should I do?????

Put another electric fan on?? or just take the radiator out and get the core cleaned???

Cheers

Post subject: Re: 302C Cooling Problem
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Cheers Ash

The fan only covers about 1/2 the radiator and is mounted on one side and I could easily connect another the same size!

when I flushed the radiator it took roughly about 12 liters to fill up.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Cheers Mate

I will let you know how I get on!

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

I agree with Ash, fan is definately the issue. If you can drive with no cooling probs then radiator and water system is probably OK, problem is airflow at idle. Ash mentioned shrouding - it is CRITICAL that you have effective shrouding or the fan cannot work properly. If you have one fan off to one side of the rad then the air is going to go the easiest way - rather than going through the rad its just pulling air from next to the fan - a shroud forces it to pull thru the rad. You might even want to look at a more factory type setup - my 351 C has std 3 core rad, factory shroud and a plastic flex fan same diameter as factory original, I never have overheating probs. Normally run 1/4 on the guage or less, idling in traffic in summer down the beach or whatever in 40 degrees, the most I have ever seen on the guage is just under half....if you want to stay with electric, go for a pair of EF/EL type fans - they have their own shroud and you see them on gumtree as low as 20 - 30 bux...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]