Fordmods Logo

351 in xf - help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: 351 in xf - help
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

hi now i know there has been a few questions about v8's in xf falcons but not quite enough info etc so i was hopeing somone might be able to clear a few things up for me.

I have a xe with a good 351c, auto tran and LSD but the body interoir etc are sh#t so i want to put the engine into my XF falcon which has a good body interior new front end etc.... but i know xf's werent made with a v8 option and dont just drop in like an xd or somthing.
So what what modifactions have to be made for it to fit in the engine bay?

Also i want a manual and i was wondering if it would bolt straight onto the 4 speed i have in my xf (Some told me there was two 4 speeds that went into xf and maybe there diff anyone knows how to tell the diff let me know).
At the moment i just want the engine in and later if (prolly more like when) i blow the diff trans etc ill change them over. Anyone got any recemendations on what would be good manual tranny for it with a budget of around $1000 id prefer a 5 speed.?

lol that was a bit more long winded then i expected hopfully its understandable anyway any help would great...

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The hardest part of the conversion is moving the heater pipes if you want to retain the heater and aircon, you will have to remove the dash and heater box, then have the pipes modified to come out at a higher level to clear the tappet cover, if you have aircon and don't want to retain it, cut the heater pipes off, and plum the heater hoses to the aircon evaporator, no dash removal required.

Tappet cover to fire wall is sometimes less than 10mm.

You can not run a auto kickdown linkage because of the firewall if you wanted to.

X series V8 mounts and brackets bolt straight in, if you use a C4 and have a late model XF you will have to drill holes for the gearbox cross member towards the front.

The holes are still there for hydraulic clutch if you check inside the car, you just need to drill them out, don't bother buying a special cable bell housing, hydraulic is far better.

If you have a 86 model you will have to run either straight LPG or unleaded (might run into emission compliance problems) and run the catalytic converter/s. Pre 86 would be much easier.

There is more than this to look out for, someone can fill in more details.

Here is a shocking mess I made in my XF many moons ago.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:50 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

There are two types of 5spd in the XF not the 4spd. The early 5spd is like a single rail 4spd with an over hung 5th gear...in a word; weak as piss!
The late XF's had T5's which are a lot better and will be ok behind a stock 351. The 4spd you have will also handle a stock 351 ok.
For a $1000 budget I'd get a toploader.
The 4spd single rail you have uses the same bellhousing as the toploader. Some bellhousings are multidrilled for both single rail and Toploader bolt patterns. From memory two or three of the holes are the same with only one or two that are in different positions. The single rail has the smaller of the two patterns.
Listen to Damage....Hydraulic clutch is the only way to fly.
If you want EFI for your Cleveland I can help and this is another way around the emissions issue.

Pete.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: xd v8 vortech!!!

NSW, Australia

you dont need air con in a v8 just put the windows down and nail it :D :D :D :D

tubed and blown XD ute here u come!! yahoooo!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]