Fordmods Logo

393 stroker 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 393 stroker
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone looking at making my XD's 351 into a 393 need some prices and recommendations.

1st of all im looking for around 10 to 11 secounds and on gas. what stroker kit should i get.

Also some help on witch cams would be good if i should go roller rockers, should i keep the stock 2v heads on it or get some aftermarket alloy 4v heads any info would help me out heaps. is there any books out there that will give me a good set up, cash isent such a problem and i want to do the work myself...

P.S. would like to keep in N/A

Fairlane by Tickford

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

I have a complete 351 with C4, exhaust, converter etc that will run 11's in an XD if you want.....Can come and test ride. Its a long time sideways, and top gear is for donuts....or line locks.

Post subject: Re: 393 stroker
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

FBT-009 wrote:
Hey everyone looking at making my XD's 351 into a 393 need some prices and recommendations.

1st of all im looking for around 10 to 11 secounds and on gas. what stroker kit should i get.

Also some help on witch cams would be good if i should go roller rockers, should i keep the stock 2v heads on it or get some aftermarket alloy 4v heads any info would help me out heaps. is there any books out there that will give me a good set up, cash isent such a problem and i want to do the work myself...

P.S. would like to keep in N/A

First of all be aware to get where you want to be about all you'll be keeping from the current engine is the block, providing that its not already 0.030" oversize.

While it is possible to get into the 10s with 2V heads, I'm yet to see anyone achieve it on LPG. There aren't any books specifically building a 393, but there is a fairly new range of engine building DVD's which I'd recommend people get hold of.

Factor on a budget of approx $15K to cover the build from start to finish, but that won't include your fuel system, transmission and driveline upgrades that you'll need to do to make it survive.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Are you going to do any of the work yourself? I highly recommend Pavtek. If you can do some of the work yourself you'll save $$$$.

The issue being it's on gas. Gas in an N/A application doesn't seem to work as well it's its supposed to. Gas with forced induction is another matter ;) A nice force fed 351 would do 9/10's ;)

CHI 3V heads I highly recommend. If you have an LSD 9"? It won't last too long with the torque of a 393 torturing it. Mine lasted 1 and a bit strip days with the 393. I've just fitted a detroit locker and billet 31 spline axles for just a tad under $3000.

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

I have bought a Procomp kit off ebay. Basically its ARP bolts, SCAT Rods, crank and Probe pistons. But I have had nothing but trouble fitting it.

Journal sizes all over the show and some egg shaped. 5.6mm missing from the snout of the crank where the timing gear sits. Not able to find one set of rings that fit. No oil rails supplied with pistons. Rods needed a lot of rubbing down to get the right clearances....but thats a good thing as far as Im concerned, better too much material than not enough.

I would get a proper SCAT or similar kit as the machine work to fit my kit exactly matches the cost of buying a full price kit off the shelf. So much for ebay being cheaper...

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Post subject: 408
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone been looking at a few things, pro stroke engines has a 408 stroker kit

(http://pro-stroke.com.au/shop/product_i ... cts_id=647)

for $4000
what you think and thanks for the advice on the gas maybe i might go petrol i dont really want to supercharge it..

also i found a FMX with a 3000 stally in it for 500 i know ill need like a stage 2 shift kit as well but what you think of the price???

i had a look at them chi heads 3v you recon
3V 258cc Roller Assembly Nextec 221424 Springs $3900

Fairlane by Tickford

Post subject: Re: 393 stroker
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

my bad should have read on further

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Going bigger than 383 is just going for cubes for the wank of it. 393 is the biggest I would even consider running, as clevo blocks are notorious for core shift and thin walls.
383s work really well, rev well, great rod angles, kind on bores, and hang together.
In the end its your call, but I am building a 383 CHI headed Clevo now, as we speak, and I did my research, and it will be up on 20k in the car, with fuel, box, exhaust, electrical, rear axle etc.
Then I have to sort the suspension.....

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 35 images

Ride: xy fairmont

WA, Australia

FMX needs to go to the tip or scrap metal yard where the rest of them are ...they are dinosours , and way a tone ,far better off with a C4 the kits for them these days make them tuff as ...i spent $2300 on my C4 to build it to withstand 700fwhp

If you have it under control then you dont have enough power..
There is no replacement for Displacment..

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:26 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Mac Winter 76XB351GS wrote:
I have bought a Procomp kit off ebay. Basically its ARP bolts, SCAT Rods, crank and Probe pistons. But I have had nothing but trouble fitting it.

Journal sizes all over the show and some egg shaped. 5.6mm missing from the snout of the crank where the timing gear sits. Not able to find one set of rings that fit. No oil rails supplied with pistons. Rods needed a lot of rubbing down to get the right clearances....but thats a good thing as far as Im concerned, better too much material than not enough.

I would get a proper SCAT or similar kit as the machine work to fit my kit exactly matches the cost of buying a full price kit off the shelf. So much for ebay being cheaper...

This is what I have alluded to when talking about these cheap parts in the past. What happens is all of the out of spec parts from these manufacturers get chucked out the back door in plain boxes and certain people sell them as the same thing. Ive seen cranks with hollowed throws so close to the journal that the journal surface is only 0.5mm thick!

Pete.

Post subject: Heads
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thanks for the advice on the stroker kit 383 sounds preaty good, how do the 393 hold up any one got any idea?? and how about the CHI 3v heads roller rockers or not?? and being 3V do i have to get a CHI manifold for it and do they make superchager manifolds...

Fairlane by Tickford

Post subject: Re: Heads
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:18 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

FBT-009 wrote:
thanks for the advice on the stroker kit 383 sounds preaty good, how do the 393 hold up any one got any idea?? and how about the CHI 3v heads roller rockers or not?? and being 3V do i have to get a CHI manifold for it and do they make superchager manifolds...

The 393's and even the 408's work very well....as long as you have a good solid block. Just be sure to get a complete genuine Scat kit.
Check out www.chiheads.com you can see everything there.
They make 2V and 4V std port location heads as well...these will work with off-the-shelf blower intakes assuming your talking rootes style.
Personally I'd use the 218cc 3V's and CHI intake on a 393 with either a Novi2000 or Vortech T-trim LPG or not.
I know a guy with an XE ESP that does 11's on LPG normally aspirated. I'll see if I can find out his combo.

Pete.

Post subject: Re: Heads
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FBT-009 wrote:
and being 3V do i have to get a CHI manifold for it and do they make superchager manifolds...

Thats why I went for the CHI 228 4V heads, availability of 4V blower manifolds, or tunnel rams.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:35 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

have you thought about a big for small crate motor.
there are plenty of 400+ cube windsor based engines with proven power and a warranty...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next